The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I decided to move my Austin A55 on. Not in the mood to deal with tyre kickers I contacted Mathewsons auctions in North Yorkshire who collected the car promptly and it went under the hammer on Saturday. The buyer lives in Horncastle, Lincolnshire which isn't far from where it was first registered and lived from 1958 until 1984. Hopefully the new owner will replace the wiring loom and sort out the few bits of cosmetic work it needed.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

Finally found my multimeter and the battery voltage drops when connected to the car and is 11.2v when running.  Sounds like new alternator time but its weird that its died while I've been fiddling around under the other side of the bonnet.

Don't Ford's of this era have smart charging alternators? Could be the data lead has come disconnected. 

38 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Chodtastic news well done 

Cheers fella. I'm licensed up to 20 tonne-metres with remote operation. I'll ask the instructor what else I would need to make the wise* investment shown below, which I'm sure would benefit* the forum....

a-tow-truck-is-removing-a-car-parked-illegally-in-shoreditch-london-england-uk-S2WA11.thumb.jpg.d11095fbdfee5142c8b7179f267f5809.jpg

If I do, I'd make sure it's not an Iv*co. Hateful things.

49 minutes ago, SiC said:

Don't Ford's of this era have smart charging alternators? Could be the data lead has come disconnected. 

Thought it might be something like that, will do some research.  I've dropped it at the garage for a new alternator but I have a spare key and they aren't starting till Tuesday so its not beyond hope of saving a big bill.  I should have tried to do the alternator myself really but with 7 out of 7 cars broken mojo isn't high.

3 hours ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Picked up a Panda with 30k on it yesterday that's been sitting for at least a year.

PXL_20201006_161509437.thumb.jpg.51161db6dd12e3e29f2f2bfcedc8dbd2.jpg

Think this would be interesting to make a thread about as I clean/recomission? 

I love how you've gone to the trouble of replicating the shadow when blanking out the numberplate.  Top MS Paint skillz there.

2 hours ago, 64A60 said:

I decided to move my Austin A55 on. Not in the mood to deal with tyre kickers I contacted Mathewsons auctions in North Yorkshire who collected the car promptly and it went under the hammer on Saturday. The buyer lives in Horncastle, Lincolnshire which isn't far from where it was first registered and lived from 1958 until 1984. Hopefully the new owner will replace the wiring loom and sort out the few bits of cosmetic work it needed.

Nice looking car. Hope you were pleased with the amount achieved.

Mondeo was treated to an oil change today and a general check over. I bought a new bumper from an ebay seller a couple of weeks ago who promised 48-hour delivery - 9 days later nothing, but they promise it'll be here tomorrow. We shall see. Also needs a new headlamp bulb, and then it should be ready for a test tomorrow. It doesn't *need* one till January as it's on a boris, but so is the Bluebird and I don't want to end up with both daily cars needing testing within 4 days of each other. This way I can spread them out a little.

I have a full two days off this weekend, so if it needs anything doing I should be able to get it done quickly. And hopefully leave myself with time to give the Capri a proper run out!

It's recommended to change the oil on the Multijet/CDTi 1.3 every 10,000 miles, which I have stuck to religiously with the van since I got it in February.

Problem is in my line of work the miles stack up quick, last oil/filter change 31 August 2020.  That was 5 weeks ago.....

The next 10K was achieved yesterday. Another oil change/new filter done today.

Good job Tesco have cheap oil at the moment (fully synth stuff going for 6 quid for 2 litres...stocked up)

When I got paid from work I decided to sort out the constantly deflating tyre on the 407. Unfortunately the side corner where the side wall meets the tread had a puncture and couldn't be repaired. I bashed on another tyre, Michelin tyre which replaced the "FGX" tyre or whatever it was.

20201002_163539.thumb.jpg.57f8be76d52ba9d42a08aae2b009140d.jpg

It actually drive a bit nicer after that.

Also, Vectra apparently doesn't have a broken spring, but still sits slightly lower one side than the other. It'll be fixed. Then the Peugeot is going in for MoT and some  work.

2 hours ago, clayts450 said:

It's recommended to change the oil on the Multijet/CDTi 1.3 every 10,000 miles, which I have stuck to religiously with the van since I got it in February.

Problem is in my line of work the miles stack up quick, last oil/filter change 31 August 2020.  That was 5 weeks ago.....

The next 10K was achieved yesterday. Another oil change/new filter done today.

Good job Tesco have cheap oil at the moment (fully synth stuff going for 6 quid for 2 litres...stocked up)

+1 for the Mannol stuff @320touring mentioned. Normally around the £42 mark for 20 litres 5/30 lows saps fully synthetic, keep an eye on it though as it drops to £33 once every month or so. I feel your pain with the 10k services I'm doing one every 5/6 weeks - 344k miles so far. Similar engine to yours but in 1.9 flavour.

40 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

+1 for the Mannol stuff @320touring mentioned. Normally around the £42 mark for 20 litres 5/30 lows saps fully synthetic, keep an eye on it though as it drops to £33 once every month or so. I feel your pain with the 10k services I'm doing one every 5/6 weeks - 344k miles so far. Similar engine to yours but in 1.9 flavour.

+2 for the mannol, I got a drum in the summer and changed oil i. 3 cars and have enough left for 2 more changes.

For £35 delivered it's a no brainer

Merc was siupposed to be having new brakes yesterday (yes, this is the same new brakes it's been supposed to be having for about 4 months!) and once again, the bloke let me down. That's it, no more chances even with covid busy shit. So I'll have to fins another garage to fit some sodding discs and pads or just get rid of the bloody car. Yes, it's proper pissed me off and even though I like the SuLKy little bugger, I am seriously considering just getting shot.

Please someone (everyone) tell me I'm being a childish fuckwit who needs to grow the fuck up!

However, I have been looking at XK8s and XFs (wich are really cheap - £5-6 thousand for a 10 plate 3 litre petrol) and also other Mercs... I really need to get a life.

the infamous Top Gear Porsche 928 H982 FKL is still on the DVLA, even though it never came back to the UK, and 'some say' it was scrapped in an agreement between Argentina and local officials.

I guess someone, somewhere still has a V5 for it - but can neither mark it as exported or get a COD?

It's in eternal limbo.

Porsche-H982-FKL.jpg