The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Bedfordshire Constabulary don't really have the resources to deal with a concentration of pikey mourners anyway.

Police forces here seem to get a bit nervous when required to handle* mass pikey gatherings.

'Tis the same in Ireland.

I don't doubt that, they've got the time and resources to piss away on reacting to non-crimes and hate speech though apparently. I suppose they're hamstrung now, soshal meedjah, paperwork and other bullshit. Plus there'd be a certain contingent of woolly bedwetters bleating about the poor victimised traveller community and their historic rights to do whatever the fuck they like

14 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

.... the poor victimised traveller community and their historic rights to do whatever the fuck they like

In Ireland, the Travellers have long been able to shut down major roads and hold back traffic, just so they can run their trotting races. The Garda can't touch 'em. 

Final ever oil change on the daily Leon.  In a months time it will be offered to family and if no interest it will be offered on here.  So anyone interested in a 2008 Seat Leon with 113k on the clock and regular oil changes every 6000 or so, get your wallets warmed up.  

7 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Final driving lesson before my test on Monday. Tied up loose ends, just need to make sure I'm on top of my approach speeds and mirror checking. Instructor is very happy though, so I'm steadily counting down the hours now!

Bonne Chance for Monday!! 

53 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Final driving lesson before my test on Monday. Tied up loose ends, just need to make sure I'm on top of my approach speeds and mirror checking. Instructor is very happy though, so I'm steadily counting down the hours now!

best of luck with the driving test :) 

The screws inside the front door handles are rusty on the i10.

IMG_20201003_161951.thumb.jpg.14c67e28b107f1fccbc85b5543d1f2d3.jpg

This annoys me, as you can see it was designed to have a cover, but a bean counter said no. Budget car, innit. I've checked various online parts diagrams, and no Mk1 i10 got one.  So I hunted around for similar screws, found some similar about 1mm shorter, and slightly smaller head

IMG_20201003_162028.thumb.jpg.28c301f6e694cf78704cf86c0c98e677.jpg

I'm happier now.

IMG_20201003_162309.thumb.jpg.e316e976782bb2715da77893e16e0898.jpg

Yes, I'm a bit odd, what of it?

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yes, I'm a bit odd, what of it?

Getting odder. I've been looking at other Hyundai screw caps. I reckon this would have been designed to be a generic fit, as the Kia/Hyundai parts bin seems very rationalised.

I reckon the IX35 ones will fit, very similar diameter. A punt on aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32483636744.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.1c34339fcXIXXw

bb.JPG.b6447dbad68e4ef4369e345151aa0742.JPG

Unplanned day today. Parents couldn’t come down as planned so I had to get up at 7am and pick up the eBay wing for the Corolla.

Pleased with it though, it’s a pattern part which probably hadn’t been on the car for very long. Couple of dull spots which will buff out with a bit of T-cut

66D3B398-04AE-43F0-8C61-F47705440D1A.thumb.jpeg.343bf093618a577618f155f07f642ea3.jpeg

And home.  Felicia has temporarily taken up residence in the "white 5-door hatchbacks with pushrod engines" section of the car park.

DSC_1324.thumb.JPG.b05534f5faf8540521b2c39fce7afec3.JPG

I'll have a poke around it tomorrow, weather permitting, and decide WTF I'm going to do with it.  It appears to have developed an exhaust blow on the way home, but otherwise it drove spot on.  It's not an unpleasant thing to drive at all - not fast, and definitely not a driver's car (steering is very vague), but it's comfy enough - ride is a little bouncy at times but the seats are decent - and it rolls along OK at motorway speeds.  The rev counter doesn't work until about 3,000 rpm, at which point it springs into life and over-reads comically to make up for it, and it currently has no choonz or lighter socket, but all the essentials seem to work.

I haven't had to add any coolant - I will check in the morning to see how much it's used, but I've done over 180 miles in it without topping up and it still has a steady temp gauge and a warm heater, so not bad at all really.

Just had a moment where I randomly remembered that I forgot to turn the heater off in the van earlier.

Cue distinct moment of appreciation for modern technology when I was able to connect to the heater controller through the network and confirm that yes, I had forgotten to turn it off...and to actually turn it off.  Without needing to move any further than required to pick my phone up.

Screenshot_20201004_043944.thumb.jpg.ef6150c18b2d8cfb11207bbe0df3a7ce.jpg

The Afterburner heater controller really is a handy bit of kit.  Still need to finish up hooking up one of the GPIO outputs to the exterior lighting so I can turn that on/off remotely as it's nice to be able to check that corner of the driveway if something sets the dogs off without walking all the way to the front door to turn the garage light on...

Aside from the remote connectivity, knowing there is a frost protection mode (mainly for the benefit of the water heater which is probably the most at risk bit of equipment) and a humidity limit mode which will bring the heating on gives a good bit of peace of mind.

The stock controller they ship with is pants, but the diesel fired heater itself is a good bit of kit.  The real test we had was last November up in Livingston when it was well sub zero (this was before I had the new controller).

It was rather chilly.

IMG_20191118_090933.thumb.jpg.91576717f03fbbfcb36745dc7d82cf47.jpg

IMG_20191118_092847.thumb.jpg.fc628989abe2fe6a63f4176ec7eae485.jpg

In less than fifteen minutes all the cab windows were de-iced and the interior was up to a nice toasty 25C.  The double glazed windows on the living area didn't start to react for ages though, so do seem to provide good insulation.

Right...back to trying to get at least some sleep.