The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

51 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That week in Ceredigion went by a bit too quickly for my liking. No lockdown, so on the way home now... *sighs*

20200928_164132.jpg

Ceredigion is an absolutely lovely place. I hope to move there one day.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Ceredigion is an absolutely lovely place. I hope to move there one day.

Better move quickly. The local market is going a bit mad in Ceredigion at the moment. Many houses are selling in days, and 'tis mostly English households wanting to move in - either to escape Covid-ridden England, or as second homes ('twas ever thus). This time last year, the market was all but dead, except for retirees.

Obviously that will price the local population further out of the market, and doubtless English suburban attitudes may clash with Welsh farming tradition in places....

WCPGW?

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Better move quickly. The local market is going a bit mad in Ceredigion at the moment. Many houses are selling in days, and 'tis mostly English households wanting to move in - either to escape Covid-ridden England, or as second homes ('twas ever thus). This time last year, the market was all but dead, except for retirees.

Obviously that will price the local population further out of the market, and doubtless English suburban attitudes may clash with Welsh farming tradition in places....

WCPGW?

I'm regrettably talking about upwards of 10 years into the future. I have to stay stuck down south for a little while yet!

23 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

This is one modern car I'd really like to buy. In that metallic green colour 🤑

We have one here in standard 140bhp and it flies. Had a 165 as courtesy car and the difference was minimal. Only so far you can push them on public roads. I prefer the styling of the older model 500 before it was badged as 595FB_IMG_1601571522109.thumb.jpg.fa7e2a4b8e9036a84f0b281d74a39908.jpg

This was our first abarth the day we traded it in. Bought new in 2009, one of the first sold in Glasgow apparently

22 minutes ago, egg said:

Kia Clarus. 626 based. Just 8 left taxed.

kiaclarus_750_500_70.jpg

Anyone know of one? Just out of interest.

Only ever seen one that I can remember. An old neighbour of ours in Southend had one in that same dark green. W131 CEV, locally supplied by Belle Vue Motors. Sadly it disappeared a few years ago and disappeared from the DVLA.

Id quite like one. Surprised there’s as many as eight left to be honest. A future Tagora if ever there was one.

I’ve been fairly busy with life stuff, so I haven’t been able to check here as often as I would like to, but I’ve finally made a (small) start repairing the rust on the Mini. I was having a poke about the boot, and found what I thought was just a bit of flaky paint. As is always the case with things like this, it ended up being a fairly substantial hole. As it would definitely fail an MOT as it was, and it was in an area where it could easily let water into the boot, I took it to be repaired. Please excuse the less than brilliant photos.

Before:

spacer.png

After:

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

New O2 sensor installed and no more jumping idle even after a prolonged run.  Just waiting for the OBD1 Consult device to arrive and I can see if their are any error codes being logged for the slow to return to normal idle.  But at least the car is usable. 

However on the trip home the heater will only work now on the highest blow setting, anyone able to give clues to what to check bar the fuses?

Usually it's the heater blower resistor pack.  Depending on vehicle they can be found lurking in the ducts from the blower motor into the cabin (they are cooled by the airflow - allegedly).

A sod to get to in most cars, but cheap to replace. 

7 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Not too bad a fail for the Streetwise, just waiting on a quote.

CV boots I knew about and pre-warned mechanic it would fail on them but asked him to do the test anyway to see what else needed doing. Car owes me nowt so it'll get what it needs to get it through.

sw fail.png

CV boots 45 each, handbrake 30, exhaust 70. Plus VAT of course, brings it up to 230 quid ish. I can live with that. I just don't have the time (busy busy) nor the inclination to fight rusty bolts (the real reason), and as I mentioned the SW owes me nowt. It also passes my 'costs less to fix than the price paid for the car' Bangernomics rule. Only trouble is they can't do it until a week on Friday. Good job I have other cars....

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Aca just got this... 180bhp bejeeus 

20201001_171924.jpg

20201001_150215.jpg

Screenshot_20201001-150322_Chrome.jpg

A colleague had one where I used to work. Makes noises way above its station and goes off like a proverbial shit off a shovel. 

Providing they're not all broken, I'll 100% will get one in 10-15yrs time* if they're sensible money. 

* Probably 5yrs knowing FIAT usual depreciation curves

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Returning to earlier discussions that I failed to quote, the trick in Ceredigion is to stay away from the touristy bits. It's not a huge country, but the incomers seem only to consider tiny parts of it. Property prices in New Quay are absolutely horrific, but drop nicely as you move inland.

Indeed, and inland is where I want to be. We've been on holiday in Cardigan twice now. We love it there and the scenery around Cardigan and other parts is just lovely. Definitely a county I want to explore more of in future!

2 hours ago, chancer said:

We have one here in standard 140bhp and it flies. Had a 165 as courtesy car and the difference was minimal. Only so far you can push them on public roads. I prefer the styling of the older model 500 before it was badged as 595FB_IMG_1601571522109.thumb.jpg.fa7e2a4b8e9036a84f0b281d74a39908.jpg

This was our first abarth the day we traded it in. Bought new in 2009, one of the first sold in Glasgow apparently

Another has this one

20201001_150147.jpg

Just now, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Thanks, been looking it up tenner for the part, and it's underneath the glovebox right up against the door.   Remove the loom clip, and 2 Phillips or 8mm, and it just slots out.  I presume in some other vehicles they built the car around this component?

I should assume the Primera will have the same thing fitted.

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

WCPGW?

Same thing is happening in Northumberland - the papers have been touting it as the place to visit all summer, and as a result utter shitpiles which have been on the market for 4+ years have been sold for a third of the original asking price, given a lick of magnolia and some driftwood in the living room alongside choice catchphrases in picture frames, and are now advertised at £800 a week. 

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

WCPGW?

Same thing is happening in Northumberland - the papers have been touting it as the place to visit all summer, and as a result utter shitpiles which have been on the market for 4+ years have been sold for a third of the original asking price, given a lick of magnolia and some driftwood in the living room alongside choice catchphrases in picture frames, and are now advertised at £800 a week. 

9 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Thanks, been looking it up tenner for the part, and it's underneath the glovebox right up against the door.   Remove the loom clip, and 2 Phillips or 8mm, and it just slots out.  I presume in some other vehicles they built the car around this component?

More or less, I reckon it depends on whether a sensible engineer-type person designed the cabin or the feller who was working his notice.  Some are buggers to get to. 

Nearly everything pre-moderns has the same arrangement of a resistor pack, basically all of the juice runs into the motor circuit, but the resistors are used to drop the voltage for the lower fan speeds.  The problem is the resistors get hot (that's why they tend to be in the fan ducting) and then they break down and go open circuit. 

16 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

You can turn up the radio, you know.

It's fucked  .. I thought it was the pulley clutch on the alternator , but having taken the belt off , it's the timing chain rattling ... spears or repairs  £250  its yours  .  New tyres new battery  wishbone ..new mot... etc   60mpg etc     it was always a risk , i'm not chucking more ££ at it .. It stands me £500 quid already :-(1080157732_brakes068.thumb.jpg.8cab9b15e0f4f4722b906c8e2318f8f7.jpg

607155380_brakes070.thumb.jpg.afc384ac960a2dac44461d2b1e181d84.jpg