The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

37 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

What did you order? Just copper pipe?

This stuff...5mm external (1m long). I'm hoping I can connect that to the plastic pipe it comes with. £6, so half as much again as the pump, but if it makes it more reliable, worth a go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32929937505.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.28074c4d0G63mB

36 minutes ago, stuboy said:

safe to order from no card dodgy dealings?

Probably. I've ordered 5 or 6 six things with no issues. I've had cards ripped off twice before over the years - not from aliexpress! - (and had to claim back hundreds of pounds both times) so I'm usually not keen to throw my details around, but I'm comfortable using it.

8 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Worth it though. Is it a LWB?

Swb with potential blown head gaskets. Not sure if it's going to be worth fixing. Ran beautiful then suddenly started belching clouds of smoke. No overheating, water loss or oil mixing. No bubbles in header tank. Going to investigate the breather system first.

8 hours ago, egg said:

This stuff...5mm external (1m long). I'm hoping I can connect that to the plastic pipe it comes with. £6, so half as much again as the pump, but if it makes it more reliable, worth a go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32929937505.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.28074c4d0G63mB

Probably. I've ordered 5 or 6 six things with no issues. I've had cards ripped off twice before over the years - not from aliexpress! - (and had to claim back hundreds of pounds both times) so I'm usually not keen to throw my details around, but I'm comfortable using it.

Ah right the smallest I do is 8mm

Shite shift last night, shite drive home from Kelso due to campervans, stopped on the way back for a snack, realised that this 306 is pretty damn good. It just goes and goes, doesn't complain, rides great, can haul loads of stuff, sips fuel... 

But I'm getting itchy feet 😕

MOT on weds, may put it up for sale with a fresh ticket. IMG_20200927_212924.thumb.jpg.bfdf50bc48a21059c6fbb2e61fb82256.jpg

25 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

Shite shift last night, shite drive home from Kelso due to campervans, stopped on the way back for a snack, realised that this 306 is pretty damn good. It just goes and goes, doesn't complain, rides great, can haul loads of stuff, sips fuel... 

But I'm getting itchy feet 😕

MOT on weds, may put it up for sale with a fresh ticket. IMG_20200927_212924.thumb.jpg.bfdf50bc48a21059c6fbb2e61fb82256.jpg

That's always my downfall... "this car is perfect for me, fully sorted and a years mot... I'm bored..." 

Glws! 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

That's always my downfall... "this car is perfect for me, fully sorted and a years mot... I'm bored..." 

Glws! 

My other half made a joke about me always changing cars, I didn't think it was that bad but I worked it out... We've been together three years and I've had 14 different daily drivers in that time 😂

Met my sister’s family up in bix north of Henley this afternoon. About 4.30 this plane was doing acrobatics overhead.

NB. For those going to Warburg Nature Reserve at bix, the road is appalling - single track with few passing places.
7DE48E68-798A-4005-A0AA-B9A3AF7399ED.thumb.jpeg.d4d17b31d308f6fa9093975fc5af3839.jpeg
F9CD1664-9D47-409E-81BB-363965E3FD94.thumb.jpeg.48c458612ff9af110d98248852114024.jpeg
I do love Warburg nature reserve. Such a peaceful place.

You're right about the road though!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Oil light came on on the Galaxy. Topped it up (though level seemed ok) and it went off, then came on again. Got a new oil pressure switch and fitted it today. Guess what? Minute or two running and the light is back on. 

Trying everything I can to 'save' this car as it's been genuinely fantastic, but it's as if it just doesn't want to continue in use. I'll get my mate at the garage to have a look at it, he reckons (last time he saw it) there were no show stoppers to it getting another MOT as it's due soon. Possibly keep it for local runs/picking up shit motorbikes/scooters, or just as a garage door blocker.

I have been procrastinating about taking the head off the Princess so was delighted to find another fence panel had collapsed and was irrepairable.  I've never made a fence before.  The neighbour that shares said fence had some 'bits of wood' in her garage that just happened to be exactly the right sizes and amounts for me to knock this panel up.  I'm not going to be going pro any time soon, but I was quite pleased with myself for managing to build this with no real idea of what I was actually doing.   It's really just for privacy since without this panel her garden is very exposed.  Used a finger to set the gap between the planks so the wind will hopefully go through it rather than trying to blow it down and since this is only a temporary thing while we finish saving up to have the section of fence done properly we didn't bother with any additional finishes.  In the same wood pile this lot came from there's a beautiful length of what looks like sapele wood, formerly a bannister rail and about 7' long.  I'd like to rescue it, and to offer her some money for it since she seemed keen to get rid of the wood in the garage, but I've no idea what a fair offer would be on something like that.

IMAG5277.thumb.jpg.26370f41e6f5ee06001226c37ce78f8d.jpg

No photo as no phone but there was a lovely lancia outside work today. Two door convertible - 1950s probably. Maroon with tan leather. New Mercedes turned up with chauffeur and the delighted new owner of the lancia arrived ( 80ish trousers too short and tatty suit jacket). After a while looking over the lancia with the warehouse /car guy he rummaged in his trouser pocket and pulled out two £50 notes to give him as a tip. Drove off in it whilst on Swiss numberplate ( rear only, non on the front) following the chauffeur. I was outside washing my bicycle - it was good theatre!

I don’t know if it is a grumpy or a grin but it appears that 3 months after posting it off (I had to because it was an old blue V5C so the reference number wouldn’t work for the online service) the shitty DVLA finally have sorted me out with a logbook for my GS.

It so happens that it is still in bits in my garage (although 80% of the welding is now done, sorry I’m shit at doing threads and taking photos) but if this wasn’t the case I would have been very very cross.

8AFD3081-EA33-4F06-A8D6-C43AF0303BB7.png

Edited by jonathan_dyane
Stupidity

I passed my driving test on this day 25 years ago. The first car I drove after passing was my parents' 1988 Ford Fiesta Festival 2, which looked a lot a like this one:

9888487.jpg.4df299af4a361540178dd34d42d9d6b1.jpg

Nice car, shame about the rust...

I'm going to celebrate the milestone by not driving anywhere today :mrgreen:

I recall an E reg pool car at the haulage company I worked for was pretty ripe by 1995, E920 JST. It did last until 2000 but it was absolutely rotten everywhere by 1997. Replacement wings, pattern arches and boot floor welded over the originals, Hadrian cover sills, front crossmember inadequately reattached, a cataloyed and leaking scuttle, even the main chassis rails were patched. Brakes were non existent and the engine bounced around when changing from 1st to 2nd due to the crossmember. It was a great car though and never FTP'd!