The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Last week the Mazda was in for a service and parked next to it was a 2CV van. I gather it was a conversion using a plastic body. I could easily put one of theses on my bucket list, so are they a realistic non DIY prospect (health rules out heavy lifting for the time being) or is it best to look for the real thing?

The real thing is obviously much better, because they are overpriced, they have mostly had hard lives, they are nearly all LHD,  and anyway a plastic one won't rust properly.

Can't see a problem if you can find a well-built one.

Odd day today. Had to finish off a 'same day delivery' from last Friday, a multi-pick up from Sutton/Colchester/Leicester to Nottingham which fell foul of a diesel spill on the A12 and resulting OMGTRAFICKAOS. Dropped that off in Nottingham, back home by half nine.

My next job wasn't until 12 noon, so had time to tinker with the 820, check all the fluid levels, tyre pressures, and try and buff out the streaks from my lacklustre two bucket wrong un job the other day. Very much a case of 'aye, that'll do', before I drive it to its new home on Wednesday. Might do a delivery thread, but in reality I won't be stopping much - maybe a layby for a piss, and a Gregg's bacon roll/coffee somewhere along the way. Won't reveal the lucky Shiter just yet.

I left the sunroof open on the 620 all night - amazingly nothing was stolen out of it. Given the 'roughness' of the estate wot I live in, I iz amazed.

My next job was pick up between 1300 and 1400. Yeah, that went well. They were still manufacturing the product when I arrived 10 mins early. I left just after 4pm, three hours after arriving and then had to drive to that London. Actually not too bad, as the rush hour traffic flows outta London not in to it, so I was tipped and on my way back home by 7pm. Quick KFC at Toddington (and no doubt dodgy guts tomoz), home by 10.30pm.

19 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

What was the Fairy Liquid bottle for?

Also full of petrol for squirting fuel in the top of the carb if needed... 

13 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Brownova - make sure the 2CV's fuel tank wiring is still connected near the rear seat. A lot easier to get at than dropping the tank again! Sadly, the earth is usually the culprit. You may need to make a fresh one and that will need you to drop the tank again.

Thanks Mr Wobbler... Im wondering if I failed to connect the sender properly at the top in my haste to get the tank back on... I may be wrong. I reused all the innards from the tank so the sender/earth etc were all working previously. Will investigate. 

I've been completely stupid and bought a car unseen of eBay from miles away. Train tickets booked for Sunday collection. It's a manufacturer I've never owned before, has a V8 and will certainly bankrupt me I'll imagine. On the plus side of getting old I've insured it fully comp with protected no claims for £155. How the hell can a V8 be cheaper to insure than a Citroen c1 I was considering. 

The i10's rear bumper is actually slight deformed from previous impact in that there part of London that Ken is trying to leave (has he left yet?)

1293767971_IMG_20200912_1514152.thumb.jpg.8820b7290ae5173adfe0a31b5b86dfd5.jpg

The only fix would be replacement. So I giffered it with some high build primer...

IMG_20200922_172347.thumb.jpg.f7ce865cea5f390ca50da49d0ba42f25.jpg

And some handpainted artisan skill*

IMG_20200922_175513.thumb.jpg.129a6ec86137cfb8b049aa0dc36bbb09.jpg

For those of you saying, why the hell didn't you leave it alone? I hear you!

7 minutes ago, egg said:

I felt better about my paint job until you posted the 2nd side, that looks pretty good!

2nd side is far from perfect but its a lot tidier. If i can get the other side looking half as good it will be a result. There has been duck tape over that arch for about 3 years now, im surprised it wasnt worse

1 minute ago, Bren said:

The 545 is going in for some paint next month. Garage I normally use wanted a whopping £850. I got another quote for £400. Guess which one I have 

Got to ask why the huge difference? Could well be that its an 850 quid job. Personally I would rather spend 850 wisely than waste 400. Paintwork is a tricky one, its either a good job or bad, no middle ground