The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Had another bash at cleaning out the Spacy carb this evening.  There was quite a lot of crud that had found its way back into the float bowl already - not sure where it had come from but I have a suspicion it might be disintegrating rubber fuel hose.  One of the float bowl bolts completely rounded out this time (it'd been on its way for a while) but fortunately the head is chunky enough that I was able to wind it out with mole grips.  I dismantled the carb more thoroughly than I did last time and gave every nook and cranny a good blast out with carb cleaner, and left the jets soaking in a container of cleaner for a while.  Tomorrow I'm going to buy some new fuel line and refit everything - if it still won't start then I've discovered that I can get a brand new Chinese knock-off carb for £23.19 delivered, so that might be the way to go.

I had trouble with the vacuum taps on a couple of my Spacys, the carbs were generally reliable IME. If the Chinese copy carbs are as utterly wank as the copies of the CH/CN250 Keihin then you're in doorstop territory. Re-piping the fuel supply is a good idea, as I've experienced crumbling lines on my similarly aged Helix.

These are great scooters - I got my first one after having seen your one, and I ended up having four of them! Do wish I'd kept one... good luck.

11 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

I had trouble with the vacuum taps on a couple of my Spacys, the carbs were generally reliable IME. If the Chinese copy carbs are as utterly wank as the copies of the CH/CN250 Keihin then you're in doorstop territory.

The vacuum tap is brand new and appears to be working fine.  I'll bear that in mind re the Chinese copy carb - thanks for the heads up...

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The vacuum tap is brand new and appears to be working fine.  I'll bear that in mind re the Chinese copy carb - thanks for the heads up...

They're worth buying if you need a float bowl gasket, as one of those from Honda (if available) will cost you as much as the Chinese carb. That was how I came to buy one, but out of curiosity I stuck it on the bike just to see how well it worked... it didn't. Whacking open the throttle in the way I had always done to pull away resulted in a flat spot or a stall, with the bonus* of a second, killer flat spot at about 40mph. This was supposed to be identical to the original Keihin, jetting and all. I stuck my old one back on with the nice new float bowl gasket, never a moment's bother since :D

Mondeo exhaust shield rattle has been cured permanently... By removal. Nothing near the back that should be affected by it being missing. Fuel filter done at the same time. Just need to trace the water leak and it'll be ready for the trip up North...

Was out in the MX5 earlier for a couple of hours and stopped at the Scotch Piper pub in Lydiate. Really old quirky pub with a thatched roof. There was a couple of classics gathered round the back. I was told there’s a classic car meet there tomorrow night so might pop along. Anyone in the North West fancy it? 

Couple of pics:

5C5E216A-2350-4374-A3F6-A399DCD15097.jpeg

1F93BFDE-F301-43DC-A96E-701E880369DB.jpeg

610AE9E7-05F9-43E5-9339-F88927E2D4D6.jpeg

9BD26F5F-2394-41B6-BE8E-AECBD332EFC8.jpeg

06FDFDB0-F404-4562-B105-D609209724E3.jpeg

B8369005-A3CC-4768-B4AA-9247B9C8D972.jpeg

BF07AAAB-7529-45DE-B58B-43BCFB04CC3A.jpeg

2CA46C0F-6DE6-4F07-9BD5-5AADE92CE25A.jpeg

2DC0A274-750C-4B48-80A5-1E0771ADC809.jpeg

2701CEEE-0A1B-4749-B067-357ACA3FCB35.jpeg

4F8AE2C4-0D87-4F75-8A62-9D56A2505F94.jpeg

The owner of the Bentley (in the yellow top), his name was Bob Bentley! He was an old chap who explained he had it professionally restored over four years! He was a retired commercial pilot and had newspaper cuttings in an album from when he crashed a plane in the Lake District (Scaffell Pike?) in 1978 when he had two people on board who he was teaching to fly. He said they were found by ramblers 32 hours later! 

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/lakes/awbd.html

Got to the bottom of an annoying scraping noise coming from one of the 620's wheels this afternoon. First step, jack up the car, axle stands, engine on, handbrake on, whack the shift into D and see if it was one of the front wheels. It was, offside. Back down, nuts loosened, jacked back up, wheel off. Engine on, handbrake on, into D - same noise. Without managing to chop any of my fingers off worked out it was the back plate rubbing against the inside of the front brake disc, or rather a rusty impersonation of a backing plate. Snipped off some far gone bits, bent a bit of it back, engine back on again, into D, blessed silence.

Rewarded the car by taking it on on a blast around some fast roads, to make up for it missing out yesterday, and embarrassed a number of moderns with some pure driving skillz , especially the Skoda which took exception to being burnt at a set of traffic lights, right up my jacksie which I saw off at the M1 slip road and giggled like a child when he got trapped in lane 1 behind a slow coach, and a stream of overtakers in lane 2. I was goneski, well out of there - last sight in the RVM was his right indicator forlornly and pathetically winking, trying to get out into lane 2 whilst I was dust down the road.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:25 PM, SRi05 said:

Got the Jag back from the bodyshop today, I haven't had a chance to give it a proper wash yet, but I'm absolutely delighted with how it's turned out. Bonnet, roof, boot and rear quarters all resprayed. Totally transformed the car from before. @domewill be happy to see how this has turned out as well I'm sure 🥳

IMG_20200919_181456_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181542_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181748_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181723_NR.jpg

20200828_132646.jpg

20200828_132632.jpg

20200828_132656.jpg

20200828_132714.jpg

20200828_132803.jpg

20200828_132742.jpg

20200828_132836.jpg

This is booked in for a set of 4 new tyres on Thursday, after that I'll use it to waft about in on my days off work, since it doesn't fit in the carpark I can't drive it there 🤣

I'll probably list it for sale before the winter, although I don't expect much interest. The last one I had took ages to sell on here. This one only has 74k miles on it however, so might be  a more attractive proposition 

This weekend I had planned to do a bit to the Nova seeing as Chumley had been cancelled and I now had a free weekend. Sadly being ill put paid to that. So last night I went to the petrol station and filled three Jerry cans. 

One for the green 2CV to see if adding 5 more litres would lead the fuel gauge to register since my tank replacement, one for the Nova as it too wasn’t reading anything on the fuel tank, and one for spare... 

26A1C010-05EC-4AFC-B3E0-083C81AAE007.jpeg

Result was... 2CV still reading nothing on the gauge which is frustrating. I may have to drop the tank and ensure the connections for the sender are all correct, but it started well not having run for about a month. 

Nova’s turn... also still reading nothing on the tank level after 5 more litres... arse. 2 for 2.

Let’s give it a start to check it wasn’t a fluke on Thursday. 

Nope still starts well. But only with lots of choke, any attempt to move the choke in is resisted with dying off. Hence the high revs in the video. There is a high pitched whistle, I wonder if there is a vacuum issue somewhere. Investigation to follow. 

Whilst we’re starting the project cars... be rude not to give the Yugo a go... been a good long while since that was started... 

All is well, runs very sweetly as you can here. So motivation is high. Let’s get these two back on the road. 

Toying with doing project video content... mainly to keep me doing the projects... but wouldn’t want to flood the market for videos of Welsh, bearded owners of 2CVs and Yugos... 

My series was delivered out of storage yesterday. I’d agreed to buy it a couple of years ago but with one thing or another it’s only now that I’m getting around to doing anything with it.

It’s a 1973 Petrol 88”. A very nice man dropped it off to the workshop and I’ve been poking about on it since. Got it started and discovered that the brakes are shot and it has no clutch. The bulkhead needs repair but the chassis is in pretty good shape. This is a budget ‘get it roadworthy’ type restoration as the RRC is kinda swallowing up any spare change but that adds to the appeal of it. I’m not sure if shiny series 3 land rovers appeal to me as much as scruffy ones... 

(yes, I’m hoping to avoid putting the roof on)

CFD 

9206E98F-B967-47B5-91CF-218EBC6BA269.jpeg

1E01AA3F-2C3C-4C3C-9B43-B2B2716F2CEB.jpeg

72BDDE28-4BC1-42FA-A188-9FE9AC6CDC26.jpeg

Picked up a correct oil filter for the Mondeo this morning - it was a 5-minute job to change now that the housing cover was torqued to a reasonable level.  Then I had to go and pick TheDoctor up from the station.  On my way out I noticed the driver's door window on the 164 had dropped and wouldn't wind back up.  Door card off (had to resort to the HBOL to tell me how to get the winder handle off - thankfully the car dates from an era where Haynes manuals were slightly better written than they are today) and it turned out the glass had simply come out of the channel on the carrier, so that was slotted back in and wound up fine.  I also took the opportunity to tiger seal the quarterlight back onto the top hinge - they were glued on from the factory and none of the glues I've tried up to now has lasted, I'm hoping the PU sealant will be a bit more durable.

Then it was time to have a look at the Spacy.  When I was in the motor factor's this morning I also picked up a length of 3/16" fuel hose.  In fitting the new hose I found that some plonker had tried to pad out the T-piece with electrical tape, which had partially melted through exposure to petrol and partly blocked one of the outlets.  So that won't have been helping the starting issues.  Carb back on, with its cheapo eBay cone air filter replacing the PITA original airbox for now, fuel lines connected, jump leads on, and

Great success.  The reason it died when I went to rev it was that like a twat I'd forgotten to reconnect the vacuum hose for the fuel tap after priming the system, so it wasn't getting enough fuel through - with the vacuum reconnected it revved up fine.  It's still a little way from me being able to take it for a spin though - for one thing one of the inlet stubs on the carb is smaller than the others and the 3/16" hose is not quite a tight enough fit and is weeping a bit of petrol so I'm going to have to put a clip round that, and for another thing the scooter's battery is completely dead and it doesn't have a kick start so at the moment if it cut out I'd have to push it home.  At least it's alive now though, which I'm happy about.

Blasting along the Somerset countryside in the Boxster when going back from my Sisters place in Westbury, we happened to pass a 2CV full of young men who you would expect to fit the stereotype of 2CV owners. When these events occur, I find them useful periods of time to quiz questionally to judge the acceptability of a car in my wife's eyes.

So I causally passed comment that I do quite fancy a go in one sometime. Mrs SiC response was "Oh ok. Are they quite expensive?" 

I take this kind of response as a coded response as "I quite like them and it would be acceptable you buying one if they're not too expensive"

Well I quipped "They are expensive but you can them cheaper as a project". I could almost hear her eyes rolling around when I said that. To be fair, I have a Dolomite outside in dire need of attention and a broken Clio in the garage. Admittedly the Clio wasn't supposed to be a project but like most cars I buy, they invariably are for the first few months (or even years) and end up being money sinkholes. 

Anyway I said I much prefer one as a Van. "Why?" as a sharp question. Well they're a bit different as that, more useful and quirky.

"Did they ever do them as a Van?" Yeah they did I responded as very unexpectedly a 2CV Van passed the other way. 

Some would take that as a sign that fate is intervening. I don't believe in any of that bollocks but it's good to know that I could get away with having one. No doubt something would have to be sold from the "fleet" to allow that. So certainly no rush to start looking. 

Especially as when I put a saved search in on eBay I tend to end up with something. Something that is a bigger project than originally envisioned...

The Mistress is now well and truly back on the livery yard run, and floating as she does now, you can almost forgive the other quirks, such as the unfavourable automatic ratios or the random leak from somewhere, or the not particularly good fuel consumption (which goes hand in hand with a 3-speed auto).

She runs, and that's all that matters. Nothing else quite suppresses shite surfaces like she does. 

I've also had quite a lot of Pernod tonight and am finding it difficult to think....

14 hours ago, brownnova said:

Monday seems a random day... what time is it? 

Yeah, I thought that. I believe it's the 3rd Monday of the month for cars. There's another night for motorbikes but I'm not sure which day? I've only ever stopped off at this pub on a Sunday if I see anything interesting in the car park. I think I might pop down tonight so I'll only get there around 6ish. This is the last one as it's getting darker earlier. I haven't driven the MX5 with the roof down at night for a while. The pub dates from 1302!

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/181261/merseyside-weekly-mondays-scotch-piper