The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I took the Tipo on a 70 miles jaunt today. It was a pleasure to have a decent and consistent clutch action with the new slave and master cylinders fitted yesterday. My trip included driving around RAF Halton married quarters where we lived in 1964-66 and again in 1972-75. It felt quite strange because the place had hardly changed, and I could vividly recall setting off to RAF Bruggen, Germany, in the back of Dad's Vauxhall Victor FB estate in July '66 for our next posting. I also drove past the church in the village of Halton where my Dad and Mum were interred in 1986 and 1992 respectively. Dad was born on 17th September 1921 and would have been 99 today. Now I'm nearly 71 ..... enjoy life whilst you can, it does fly past!

The road surfaces around Aylesbury and in Bucks generally were atrocious. If I had used my Mitsubishi Mirage it would have been unbearable. The old Tipo is good over rough roads but I still had to slow down even in that.

Hopefully I have fixed my 75s water ingress problem. Strangely, despite the previous owner telling me that the sunroof drains had been rebuilt with straight 13mm pipe, the passenger side drain exit behind the wheelarch liner still had its original duckbill end, which had sealed shut with crud and the water was backed right up to the sunroof.

After snipping the end off, manky water gushed out and it ran clear when tested. 

Shame that the lovely leather smell inside the car has been ruined, it now smells like wet dog. The same thing happened with the Audi though, when the fusebos seal was leaking into the driver's footwell and the tyre fitter commented last week on the lovely leather smell inside so I guess it will return!

On 9/16/2020 at 7:06 PM, vulgalour said:

Finally booked the Kennedys to come out and regas the Princess.   I do hope... that the car doesn't throw any toys out the pram about it.

Me and my big mouth.  Head gasket shat itself AGAIN.  Brown coolant, bubbles in the expansion bottle, lumpy idle.

Before you ask:

• I have checked the head bolts, none were loose, all were at the relevant spec
  • It was fine the last time I took it out, the coolant was still blue
  • No I haven't done a compression test
  • No there isn't signs of water in the oil
  • Yes there is signs of oil in the water
  • The quantity of bubbles increases the longer the car is running

What to do.  If it were the first failure that's easy, just bob it all back together again, job done.  Thing is it's not the first failure and I've already spent quite a bit of money on trying to fix it previously which kinda says something is wrong.  Maybe the last head skim wasn't as good as it should have been, maybe the head gasket was bad, maybe the block is damaged, maybe I did something wrong... I just don't know.  What I know is it's a repeated failure and as much as I love the car and don't want to let it go, even if I fixed it I'm not sure if I feel like I could trust it at this point.  I'll have a think about it and figure something out.

Sorry to hear your woes, Vulg, but you're the kind of chap who can solve it!

I was parked up today and I saw a man in cowboy boots leaning very close to the fuel flap of his R-reg XJ Jag. I didn't think this was odd, probably checking for fumes or something, it's a an old Jag after all (in appropriately scuffed condition).  Then he did it again, and I realised he wasn't leaning over it - he was KISSING it and then he proceeded to kiss the rear window frame a couple of times too and wandered off.

That is a true story.

3 minutes ago, stuboy said:

2 brothers at work have got new motors... I prefer the mini..

20200918_095612.jpg

20200918_094127.jpg

20200916_131814.jpg

20200916_131838.jpg

I like both but haven’t tried a 500 yet so will take that. I watched on old top gear recently where they ragged one around the Monaco street circuit just before the gp. 2011 ish so the old line up.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Me and my big mouth.  Head gasket shat itself AGAIN.  Brown coolant, bubbles in the expansion bottle, lumpy idle.

Before you ask:

• I have checked the head bolts, none were loose, all were at the relevant spec
  • It was fine the last time I took it out, the coolant was still blue
  • No I haven't done a compression test
  • No there isn't signs of water in the oil
  • Yes there is signs of oil in the water
  • The quantity of bubbles increases the longer the car is running

What to do.  If it were the first failure that's easy, just bob it all back together again, job done.  Thing is it's not the first failure and I've already spent quite a bit of money on trying to fix it previously which kinda says something is wrong.  Maybe the last head skim wasn't as good as it should have been, maybe the head gasket was bad, maybe the block is damaged, maybe I did something wrong... I just don't know.  What I know is it's a repeated failure and as much as I love the car and don't want to let it go, even if I fixed it I'm not sure if I feel like I could trust it at this point.  I'll have a think about it and figure something out.

The approved course of action in that situation is to drop a V8 in it.

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I have made a decision and ordered a new gasket set.  Maybe I'll get lucky and it was just a bad gasket, I won't know until I pull it apart and have a look.

Is it worth running it on three with one plug removed (and repeating for each cylinder in turn) to see which cylinder(s) is the cause of the bubbles? Might be worth while to give you a clue just in case you pull the head and there's no obvious cause staring you in the face.

2 hours ago, blackboilersuit said:

Is it worth running it on three with one plug removed (and repeating for each cylinder in turn) to see which cylinder(s) is the cause of the bubbles? Might be worth while to give you a clue just in case you pull the head and there's no obvious cause staring you in the face.

I don't know.  I'm not sure what that will tell me that I don't already know which is that the head gasket has failed, I don't think it really matters which cylinder it's failed on since a fail is a fail.  If it's anything like the previous times it's done it there'll be obvious witness marks to what's amiss.  I'm expecting cylinder two or three to be the culprits, they seem most prone to it.

It's fine, worst case scenario I just work on getting the Lanchester safe to use and have that as my daily instead.  That's the Autoshite way.

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

So was out yesterday pottering about doing some errands and the idle stuck at at least 1,500 rpm possibly 2k rpm, being a CVT this made things difficult.  The normal tricks did nothing and going from N to D was basically a damn neutral slam and not going to work for any period of time, not to matter the poor brakes. 

Ended up calling up a mechanics that luckily was under 10miles away that I've used and since I had the new throttlebody in the car just having that fitted to stop the headache.  

The one removed I had fitted in 2017 before I was on Autoshite by a local group that is now gone.  So upon removing the offending TB this was found.

1. The Gasket was GLUED down, a wire brush, razor and swear words where needed, not in spots quite literally ALL of it.

2. The throttlecable was setup in such a way that full throttle likely was impossible.

And the lads who fitted the new one had much to say about the outfits workmanship.  They did a good job hiding their shoddy work that is for sure.

So, got out on the road, and o'lee shit it's a different car.  Actually sets off from a standstill without having to drop to DS and 50% throttle, 30mph is a feathers touch over 20% down. 

Bear in mind this is my first car and when I got it the MAF was broken so to me it was normal, but now it's far better. 

Did they make a 1.3 CVT? 

Got the Jag back from the bodyshop today, I haven't had a chance to give it a proper wash yet, but I'm absolutely delighted with how it's turned out. Bonnet, roof, boot and rear quarters all resprayed. Totally transformed the car from before. @domewill be happy to see how this has turned out as well I'm sure 🥳

IMG_20200919_181456_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181542_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181748_NR.jpg

IMG_20200919_181723_NR.jpg

20200828_132646.jpg

20200828_132632.jpg

20200828_132656.jpg

20200828_132714.jpg

20200828_132803.jpg

20200828_132742.jpg

20200828_132836.jpg

Oil and filter changed on diesel Borat after 5000 miles. EBC Rear brake pads next on list.

LHM topped up on CX, just short of 500ml. There must be a leak somewhere. No idea where. Or maybe it's evaporating. Good news is that I can actually see the levels on the oil and ATF dipsticks now.... Even the coolant is stable. 

Spent the day car hunting for siL, dover, deal, ashford and ended up in Cranbrook.. 

We viewed a clio on 07 plate looked OK, drove ok.. but.... wipers wouldnt work, fan didnt work, but if u saddled about with heating, fan knows they spring in to life then stop working.... nah ill pass.. ended up in Cranbrook buy 2003 ford focus zetec.. pez shot included......

20200919_205529.jpg

20200919_184045.jpg

20200919_183020.jpg

20200919_195915.jpg