The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Returned from a 1850 mile round trip of Germany in the C32.

Things learned:

AMG Mercedes are far better on the Autobahn than XJR Jags. Where the Jag would tramline at higher than UK speeds the C32 doesn't. The C32 is very stable indeed. The 155 mph limiter is definitely fictional. 

26 mpg average so the same MPG as the new VW Transporter DSG I took around Germany last year. 

102 octane super unleaded is easy to find in Germany. I didn't expect that. 

The villages around the Nürburgring are stunningly pretty. If you're in that area, visit Altenahr.

In one of the local villages is a chap who loves old BL tat and has a garage full of it. 

As I only expect you lot to be interested in the latter, have some pics. 

20200827_165338.jpg

20200827_165334.jpg

20200827_165340.jpg

6 minutes ago, brownnova said:

All will be revealed on Monday gents... 

Usually wrong, but I hope I know what that is.

Looking at Pete M's photographs,  how come is when you see rusty cars abroad they're always like sort of 'patina' rusty whereas in Britain they're just absolutely fucked rusty? 

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Indicator/sidelight units are the wrong way up on the blue one, suggesting someone has had it apart who doesn't really know what they're doing...

Remember that you film all your workshop activities and put them on line. 

Let he who is without sin and all that. ?

Popped to the takeaway the other day and came away with more that just a 97a (Chung ying special fried rice)

Bumped up  into another customer (in shot and clearly thinking what is this guy up to) who had driven in in the Corolla. Needless to say I left him my number after he said they might sell in  a few months...

BFACD7E1-C0BE-4890-85BA-AAA1B0153BA3.jpeg

A1C349FD-B2D8-4DDA-A0B5-80E34128945D.jpeg

Had the 2cv battery on charge for 24 hours, refitted and it started right up. Great. But the radio no longer works. It’s got a permanent 12v direct from battery ( and tested at the battery plug) and the switchable 12v with ignition is ok too. Just a dead radio. I’ve tried pressing the reset button and holding down the power button but nothing.

could a very low battery kill it? 

Its a jvc kid-r521.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Had the 2cv battery on charge for 24 hours, refitted and it started right up. Great. But the radio no longer works. It’s got a permanent 12v direct from battery ( and tested at the battery plug) and the switchable 12v with ignition is ok too. Just a dead radio. I’ve tried pressing the reset button and holding down the power button but nothing.

could a very low battery kill it? 

Its a jvc kid-r521.

Is there a fuse in the back of the radio? You may have just spiked something. I wouldn't have thought a low battery would kill it.

5 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Is there a fuse in the back of the radio? You may have just spiked something. I wouldn't have thought a low battery would kill it.

Yes, a tiny blade 10 amp. It’s intact and I get continuity across it. It’s a puzzle certainly.

So Mrs BMH booked us Sunday lunch at our local in Torbay for 4pm. We set off in plenty of time (10am), but sadly there's been a complete shit cart on the M5. We ended up traveling through middle England and the Cotswolds to avoid it and just made it time wise.

The positive was that we managed to see what was clearly the pre WWII Bentley Owners Club Sunday lunchtime Pimm's meeting; a lot of BA's withdraw 747's awaiting their fate at the Cotswolds Airport; numerous classics being given a gentle run in.the countryside (couldn't they have just fooked off or at least driven at the speed limit for once); and there had clearly been an AC Cobra replica meet somewhere near Bristol, given the number of Invacars, sorry, Dax copies that were on the M5.