The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Seem to have cured the Salt Dog Fukus of it's stalling issue. A quick clean of the throttle body was all it took. 

It now drives like a car from 1998 and doesn't turn itself off at every junction. 

20 minutes ago, N19 said:

Cheers! It is an unsexy 1.6L, first owner a giffer who put 55k on in 20 years. Hence it avoided the modification/drop a v6 in it m9/going sideways into a lamppost/decay on a driveway fate of the 90s. 

Only non standard things are the carb, exhaust, filter and stereo - all of which are subtly different but in keeping with the original. 

I much prefer seeing this to a 3.0s or Injection. I also like the colour too, very typical of early 1980s Fords.

31 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Please drop me a pm when you decide how much you’d like for the R56. Id much prefer to buy one pre-borked 

plus @dome has allready offered to help do the valve stem oil seals

OK I'll let you know. Just to warn you, as per what @cort16 said about the chap who owns one in the next unit to him, if you think it's borked now, it will almost certainly never run right again once it's been apart. 

26 minutes ago, N19 said:

Cheers! It is an unsexy 1.6L, first owner a giffer who put 55k on in 20 years. Hence it avoided the modification/drop a v6 in it m9/going sideways into a lamppost/decay on a driveway fate of the 90s. 

Only non standard things are the carb, exhaust, filter and stereo - all of which are subtly different but in keeping with the original. 

4 pod dash?

5 hours ago, N19 said:

Capri is in the garage for bearings on each corner, plus a replacement for a leaky rear cylinder, so should do both, oh and the flexis... In a typical case of one job leading to 3 others. Scuse me whilst I ask the boss for more overtime... 

I do like the tax disc though. An ebay repro, but the date stamp set to my birthday is an obscure hidden touch. Original dealer tax disc holder, printed on the rear, which I intend on digitising and then getting re printed. 

IMG_20200907_171148.jpg

IMG_20200907_171832.jpg

Even though your Capri is lovely, I'm more interested in your lift. Who makes it and is it any good?

A scissor lift is on my list of must haves for the Garage.

17 hours ago, paulplom said:

My dizziness is getting worse. I just up off the settee and fell over. It happened in slow motion. I could see what was happening so I just lay down really quickly, if you know what I mean, to avoid crashing through the coffee table. Very, very strange.

If you find yourself hanging on to the bathroom floor, trying not to fall off or move your head, and throwing up for hours on end it will probably be Meniere's syndrome. Often called meniere's disease which it isn't. Its not fun but mine went away with a change of lifestyle when I stopped freelance work.

11 hours ago, SiC said:

Even though your Capri is lovely, I'm more interested in your lift. Who makes it and is it any good?

A scissor lift is on my list of must haves for the Garage.

I wish it was mine! This is the back corner of the garage it's in for work, rather than my lockup. 

There are some on the market and I'm sorely tempted. Make a lot of jobs much easier. My current lockup is reasonably sized, so I think I could get one in. It'd certainly make lots of jobs easier than axle stands. At some point I want to drop the gearbox on the Bluebird which would be much easier with a lift. 

Well this month continues to fail to go as planned.  Yesterday evening was a complete clusterfuck culminating in a late night drive to Nottingham and back, arriving home at 3am.  The silver lining is that the Mondeo has done the 270-mile round trip on around £30 of diesel, so I think I can definitively say that the overfuelling issue is cured.  Also my replacement debit card arrived in the post this morning - pretty impressive given that I only ordered it on Sunday afternoon, and will make life a lot easier as I was rapidly running out of cash.

Took the Mini to have the bodywork looked at and get a quote to have all of the rust seen to today. More money than I can spare at the moment, but not unexpected, and considering the amount of work that needs to be done, not an unreasonable price either.

There is a hole I found in the boot that I wanted to get sorted as soon as could, which they’ve agreed to fix for about half what I was expecting, so I’m quite pleased with that. I’ll report back in a few weeks time once it’s been done.

6 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

Took the Mini to have the bodywork looked at and get a quote to have all of the rust seen to today. More money than I can spare at the moment, but not unexpected, and considering the amount of work that needs to be done, not an unreasonable price either.

There is a hole I found in the boot that I wanted to get sorted as soon as could, which they’ve agreed to fix for about half what I was expecting, so I’m quite pleased with that. I’ll report back in a few weeks time once it’s been done.

Buy a welder and DIY? Plenty of panels available off the peg for the minis. 

Not much news from me, more like an excuse for a couple of gratuitous shots of my Tipo.  Anyway, today's beautiful weather tempted me to grab a flask of coffee, make some cheese and pickle sandwiches, a mini pork pie and a Cadbury's chocolate roll and then set off in the Tipo to Burton Dassett Country Park to watch the world go by. I even remembered to take my camera and binoculars.  The Tipo is booked in to a local old car tolerant/classic car friendly garage next Tuesday to have its clutch master and slave cylinders replaced. The clutch pedal has been sticking down at random times, usually inconvenient, despite no loss of fluid or collapsed pipework. The clutch itself works fine. As a temporary measure a few weeks ago, I added some hefty return springs to the pedal and clutch actuation arm which made the car drivable most of the time. Today the clutch behaved perfectly.  I was again impressed by the untroubled way the Tipo covers roughly surfaced minor roads. My modern Mitsubishi Mirage has me wincing and swearing over the same route because its suspension crashes and bangs - a combination of short sidewalled tyres, not much suspension travel and inadequate bushing (it's done it from new).  On the Tipo, my garage man will also warn me of any bits that need welding or replacement so that the MOT in December is not too traumatic. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

thumb_100_2291_1024.jpg

thumb_100_2296_1024.jpg

Right, getting a bit desperate for a car for Yvonne now, 2 of mine are too big and she doesn't want to drive the Corsa any more as no PAS.

The Mini is undrivable now and in the absence of a 'good' car for her, I need a beater for her meantime to get the school run done and get her to work and the shops. At least something that is relatively safe.

It's mainly overpriced scrap on Gumtree and Marketplace at the moment.

Saab now has new tyres. Avon ZV something or others. £50 a corner and A rated for wet grip and 68dB (E for economy though).

It's now even quieter and new tyres seem to have sorted the spurious ABS activations that happened once in a while. At motorway speeds all I can hear is a slight hum from the engine as it's doing just over 3k rpm at *ahem* 70mph, honest. I was definitely not pushing greyscale German SUVs out of the outside lane of the AWPR. Nope.

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I was wondering if it was only me thinking that, obviously not. Although such places do always attract the best* members of society selling the highest* quality vehicles everything I look at right now seams to have an MOT until October or expired MOT and yet be priced as if it had FSH and a 13 month ticket.

Something will turn up, it always does. 

We're on 'holiday' this week and our flight down to Rio appears to have been put on hold so we nipped out for a day in the Southwolds. We saw baby seals basking in the saltmarshes and folk forming orderly queues for a pint outside. Pubs are still off for us then. The Rover performed faultlessly, but because it has such a poxy little 65 litre tank & generally returns 27mpg I doubted its ability to cover 360 miles, so I refuelled it when we arrived at the seaside to avoid stress on the return journey. I needn't have bothered.

IMG_2760.thumb.JPG.ab5a29906f02c43df6dc5189cfaf6f92.JPG

IMG_2677.thumb.JPG.ac8f4f4010af3bb32a70cbe305901aeb.JPG

2101407888_Screenshot2020-09-09at18_02_52.thumb.png.f5df9a802f4c3cc9d2293f01e9c9790b.png

26 minutes ago, Alusilber said:

So today the Golf I bought new in 2009 blew its first ever bulb (brakelight judging from the reflection in the garage door).  Say what you like about VW but I think the OEM bulbs they were fitting 11 years ago were pretty good ?.

3028024A-C6A5-45A5-9751-7D79CD17A4ED.jpeg

Scrap it. ? 

On 9/9/2020 at 8:31 AM, Split_Pin said:

Right, getting a bit desperate for a car for Yvonne now, 2 of mine are too big and she doesn't want to drive the Corsa any more as no PAS.

The Mini is undrivable now and in the absence of a 'good' car for her, I need a beater for her meantime to get the school run done and get her to work and the shops. At least something that is relatively safe.

98 mx5 full mot - drives nice...............(im gonna get abuse but reasons)

Will a Mondeo estate fit in a slightly larger than average lockup...? 

IMG_20200910_192159.thumb.jpg.d2bf414656dba3de2749838213416783.jpg

Yes, yes it will. 

With the Capri in for work at the moment, I've taken the opportunity to get this undercover so I can deal with a bit of rust underneath. Bilt hamber applied and clingfilmed... Then will spray waxoyl tomorrow. It'll be used all winter so definitely worth getting out the way now. 

I've realised that I'm completely incapable of leaving a car alone. Although the Mondeo was intended to help purely with carting stuff around and long trips, its better fuel economy lends to daily commuting as well. Hence in the last two months I've treated it to new tyres, oil, coolant, filters, plugs, HT leads, cambelt and aux belt. Everything but a wash... 

This does mean that the Bluebird is a bit surplus, it averages 25-27mpg... But it's a reliable backup so definitely intend on keeping. 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:01 AM, RayMK said:

Not much news from me, more like an excuse for a couple of gratuitous shots of my Tipo.  Anyway, today's beautiful weather tempted me to grab a flask of coffee, make some cheese and pickle sandwiches, a mini pork pie and a Cadbury's chocolate roll and then set off in the Tipo to Burton Dassett Country Park to watch the world go by. I even remembered to take my camera and binoculars.  The Tipo is booked in to a local old car tolerant/classic car friendly garage next Tuesday to have its clutch master and slave cylinders replaced. The clutch pedal has been sticking down at random times, usually inconvenient, despite no loss of fluid or collapsed pipework. The clutch itself works fine. As a temporary measure a few weeks ago, I added some hefty return springs to the pedal and clutch actuation arm which made the car drivable most of the time. Today the clutch behaved perfectly.  I was again impressed by the untroubled way the Tipo covers roughly surfaced minor roads. My modern Mitsubishi Mirage has me wincing and swearing over the same route because its suspension crashes and bangs - a combination of short sidewalled tyres, not much suspension travel and inadequate bushing (it's done it from new).  On the Tipo, my garage man will also warn me of any bits that need welding or replacement so that the MOT in December is not too traumatic. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

thumb_100_2291_1024.jpg

thumb_100_2296_1024.jpg

Nice Tipo! I can vouch for there ride and handling performance. I owned a Silver 89 Greg 1.4 DGT which without doubt is one of the best all round cars I've ever owned. I'll have to get myself another one day.