The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well I've been running around in the Mondeo all week, done another 100 or so miles in it, and this evening I plugged Forscan in to see if it's tried to regenerate the DPF again.  It's showing distance since last regen as 243km, and the diesel content in the engine oil is exactly the same as it was.  So I'm going to declare that fixed.  I might step up my efforts to sell it now too.

The Spacy still won't run.  It's definitely the carb - fuel is flowing, there's a spark, and it runs on Easystart or - as happened earlier - when I squirt a shitload of carb cleaner into the inlet, but it won't run on its petrol.  So I've taken the carb off again and I'm going to have another go at trying to find out what the problem is - sadly it's a lot more complicated than the Mobylette carb but I'm hoping I'll be able to sort it.

The rest of the fleet is pretty much as was, except that the Innocenti now has a working rear foglight after I ran a shiny new earth wire from the bulb holder, and the cheapo headlight relay I ordered off eBay arrived yesterday and has restored dipped beam.  I got it up on the ramps this afternoon and knocked a load of manky old gun gum off the exhaust - it's a lot louder now but I'm going to try some of that heat curing wrap that someone recommended and see if that does a better job of fixing it than a Holts bandage.

51 minutes ago, dome said:

Fucking hell. It's quite some achievement to get one that far out. They're either timed up right, or they're not.

If I can do it surely an ACKSHUALL MECOMIC can get it right.

I've been reading up heavily on changing Clio belts. If you don't have the pulley locking tool, like most locking kits, you risk things slipping as you tighten. Especially as you apparently never should tighten against locking tools. So if nipped up, remove tools and then tightened fully, you get things moved out of whack. 

That picture actually isn't completely accurate as I realised the crank pin wasn't fully in. Even so, when fully in its still out by a fair old margin. This is the exhaust pulley side. Nowhere near. 

IMG_20200906_182154.thumb.jpg.899290163b3cbde96413dad0793878c1.jpg

Could also explain the rough idle and feeling not as quick as I expected it to be. 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Still dizzy af this morning. I'm not sure I should be driving the van.

Maybe a trip to Barnard Castle is in order.

The one upside to me having this cold is I don't have to drive with it. Hate driving ill. 

Be nice if I could take a few days off sick but I doubt I'll be allowed... Be fun to see the mayhem it causes though 

9 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

Lovely afternoon in the workshop. Galvanised RRC chassis has been painterated and awaits some small detailing.. 

CFD 

21F18242-C880-407C-BF6E-C148F88FB731.jpeg

I wonder if you'll rebuild that quicker than my dad's been rebuilding his S1 landy on a galvanised chassis. He started in 2013 and we might be just about ready to start on the bodywork soon!

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Well I've been running around in the Mondeo all week, done another 100 or so miles in it, and this evening I plugged Forscan in to see if it's tried to regenerate the DPF again.  It's showing distance since last regen as 243km, and the diesel content in the engine oil is exactly the same as it was.  So I'm going to declare that fixed.  I might step up my efforts to sell it now too.

The Spacy still won't run.  It's definitely the carb - fuel is flowing, there's a spark, and it runs on Easystart or - as happened earlier - when I squirt a shitload of carb cleaner into the inlet, but it won't run on its petrol.  So I've taken the carb off again and I'm going to have another go at trying to find out what the problem is - sadly it's a lot more complicated than the Mobylette carb but I'm hoping I'll be able to sort it.

The rest of the fleet is pretty much as was, except that the Innocenti now has a working rear foglight after I ran a shiny new earth wire from the bulb holder, and the cheapo headlight relay I ordered off eBay arrived yesterday and has restored dipped beam.  I got it up on the ramps this afternoon and knocked a load of manky old gun gum off the exhaust - it's a lot louder now but I'm going to try some of that heat curing wrap that someone recommended and see if that does a better job of fixing it than a Holts bandage.

Link to heat curing wrap please? I've got gun gum over a weld on the Saab's exhaust but I'm not sure how long it'll last.

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

Still dizzy af this morning. I'm not sure I should be driving the van.

Maybe a trip to Barnard Castle is in order.

I have an inner ear viral infection. Diagnosed by a doctor over the phone.

I have a perscription to pick up. My first one for twenty years. I'm not sure I'll bother. The doctor reckons it can take up to four weeks to shift it. No tea or coffee and no alcohol!!

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

Finally calling time on my wife's R56 Mini. It's now smoking so badly through the valve stem seals that it's killed 2 O2 sensors in 10 months, meaning it won't idle or run properly. 

I am viewing a 2006 R50 tonight as a potential replacement.

Goodnight Sweet Prince, pun intended. 

Hope the R50 is nice. The neatest design of Bini I think. 

27 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Finally calling time on my wife's R56 Mini. It's now smoking so badly through the valve stem seals that it's killed 2 O2 sensors in 10 months, meaning it won't idle or run properly. 

Sending it to Philip Scofield and his friends?

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

Sending it to Philip Scofield and his friends?

Possibly although previous experience indicates they will expect it to be a brand new car and take off money for scratches on a 13 year old car. I will probably lose my shit over that. I'm hoping the new O2 sensor will have it at least as a running concern albeit smokey.

I'm not dealing with the general public though, that is for sure.

4 hours ago, gm said:

I thought it was just the polo that they did this to ?

6EC0AD54-9C43-4A3D-B553-EAAB74ECD961.thumb.jpeg.36e07175aacde17690f1647dbf34e484.jpeg

That is just a green van where the owner is trying to get a set of unrusted, undented, second hand panels on it before getting it repainted. I expect it to be like the Forth Bridge and at least one of the replaced panels to be rusty/dented again before he gets the last one.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

@Fraz to the slightly* smokey beige courtesy phone.

Possibly although previous experience indicates they will expect it to be a brand new car and take off money for scratches on a 13 year old car. I will probably lose my shit over that. I'm hoping the new O2 sensor will have it at least as a running concern albeit smokey.
I'm not dealing with the general public though, that is for sure.
But if it's more than the scrappy and that's the only other option, then does it matter too much? Better off dealing with a shiny suit knocking money off but knowing there is real ready cash waiting there imo.

5 minutes ago, paulplom said:

My dizziness is getting worse. I just up off the settee and fell over. It happened in slow motion. I could see what was happening so I just lay down really quickly, if you know what I mean, to avoid crashing through the coffee table. Very, very strange.

Sounds a bit like this. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrinthitis/

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I shouldn’t ask. 

but how much?

Capri is in the garage for bearings on each corner, plus a replacement for a leaky rear cylinder, so should do both, oh and the flexis... In a typical case of one job leading to 3 others. Scuse me whilst I ask the boss for more overtime... 

I do like the tax disc though. An ebay repro, but the date stamp set to my birthday is an obscure hidden touch. Original dealer tax disc holder, printed on the rear, which I intend on digitising and then getting re printed. 

IMG_20200907_171148.jpg

IMG_20200907_171832.jpg