The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

In preparation for the National Metro & Mini show tomorrow I’ve taken the Mini on a 160 mile drive down to the hotel. I think it’s the longest single trip I’ve taken in all the time I’ve owned it and I’m happy to report that it handled it without any issues

16826680-51-C5-4-CBB-826-A-CC086-F621-D8

My preparation for the show was to give the Rover its first wash in over a year. Then I woke up with a cold so it looks like I'll be staying at home.  ☹️

4 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Fuck me, they should rename themselves D Turpin Esq and Sons ?

My maw just bought an 18 plate Corsa Sri with 8k miles for 7 grand. Nice wee thing, has the VXR bodykit on it. 20 grand for any Vauxhall makes my mind boggle tbh

What causes dizziness? For the last few days I've been suffering from it. 

Friday afternoon I walked to the kitchen, I had to grab on to the fridge freezer to stop myself from falling. I've since had dizzy spells while sitting down where the whole room is spinning. It passes quickly but it happened again half an hour ago and I'm feeling sick now. 

Should I be concerned? I've checked and it's not a symptom of covid. I've also been quite breathless for the last week of and had to get an inhaler off my mam.

If you're under a load of stress, can cause dizziness.

When I joined this forum I had this Ford Fusion, I sold it to my aunt in Cornwall - drove it all the way from Kent to St Ives for her!, in 2018. It gave her 18 months cheap motoring, but then the dreaded EAC fail came, she got a new throttle body at £250 (if she'd told me, I would have said probably don't bother!), then MOT'd it (including some welding) - and now EAC is back so she is giving up as next stage is changing the PCM (ECU)...

WP_20141210_002.thumb.jpg.4fe0ce8aac10aa3923493ec63c1e2799.jpg

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Friday afternoon I walked to the kitchen, I had to grab on to the fridge freezer to stop myself from falling. I've since had dizzy spells while sitting down where the whole room is spinning. It passes quickly but it happened again half an hour ago and I'm feeling sick now. 

Should I be concerned? I've checked and it's not a symptom of covid. I've also been quite breathless for the last week of and had to get an inhaler off my mam.

I think I had the same back in January. Turning over in bed was like going downhill in a barrel, I felt like I just kept going. Walking was like being on a rollercoaster. Driving was impossible.

It went away in about a week. I did try the movements that are supposed to cure vertigo, which might have helped.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.salisbury.nhs.uk/leaflets/HomeEpleyManoevrePI1403.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj05t7Z3tTrAhUksaQKHR5mBVIQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3S4YvzfhbMX9HMcI7GuKA1

4 hours ago, paulplom said:

Labyrinthitis; I had it a few years ago. I spent 10 days clinging to my bed for fear of tipping out as the room was spinning, with regular intervals(every 90mins-3hrs) of nausea and vomiting, the only way I could get to the lav without falling over was leaning on the wall or crawling. Horrific. I still perceive I have impaired balance as a result, although there's no way of testing this.

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

I have suffered with vertigo since 2015. Lost my licenses for 18 months as mine was severe. 

Most likely cause is labyrinthine infection to the inner ear. Ring your GP and get checked over and ask for a Hallpike test. You lie on your back and GP observes your eye movements with your head in different positions to see if it’s infection or ear damage.

If it goes away or gets worse with your head in a certain position or angle, it’ll more likely be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which can be lessened with an Epley manoeuvre, but not all GPs know how to do this.

The Lambretta is doing its bit by deciding the back brake should go crap today. Bit of adjustment saw that better, then later it helped* by running badly just over tick-over rpm. If you held the throttle at an estimated say 3,000rpm, the revs would rise and drop dramatically instead of staying fairly stable. It pulled brilliantly when on the move, but had to be kept revved at tick over, or the bastard would die . My mate reckon it'll be the small jet clogged up. Obviously those woes weren't quite enough though, and the little bastard worked one rear light screw out on route somewhere, and the other was very loose.

Bit later on decided to remove all the veg/diesel from the Galaxy,...

galfuel.thumb.jpg.83e70f2ec624b5384803b2b8bd2ae539.jpg

...then had to visit something called a 'petrol station' where 20 odd litres of diesel was thrown in, followed by some sort of diesel treatment gubbins...

Image may contain: car and outdoor

...after that a nice little* twatting round the back lanes and onto the M53 where it decided to create it's own version of limp mode just as I was overtaking someone at 80 70mph. Got it home, left hand injector wasn't quite tight enough and lobbed some diesel out (thankfully hadn't jet washed the engine as planned yet) so was tightened up. Then noticed a very slight bubbling/weep from the bottom, so it probs needs to come out again, follow by a clean of the area and ensure the copper washer is in right.

*Edit, down the river was this...

Image may contain: 1 person, motorcycle and outdoor

...which apparently has a Ferrari engine. It certainly sounded nice when revved.

The Capri has a habit of tiny dribbles of oil appearing at the bottom of the diff housing, immediately making me suspect it's leaking. Contrary to what I expected, the diff was full to the brim and no leak could be found. I remembered this had been from the gearbox before, and sure enough the gearbox took 3/4 of a Carex pump bottle of gearbox oil. I think it travels down the prop and collects on the diff. The gearbox tail oil seal has been replaced a couple of times but typically lasts a few months before starting to slowly leak - possibly some grit on the prop.

Popped over to see a friend and he's in process of respraying his front bumper, got there and he's not happy as filler primer hadn't set/dried,  turns out he was sold 2k filler primer but with no hardener, and he didn't realise that it was 2k, so we scraped it all off and wiped clean with thinners, hes ordered hardener and lacquer of E of the bay....FB_IMG_1599410730025.thumb.jpg.871449a79f0ce32dd2e678b058256f43.jpg

FB_IMG_1599410719685.jpg

FB_IMG_1599410722586.jpg

FB_IMG_1599410727169.jpg

FB_IMG_1599410736306.jpg

FB_IMG_1599410739373.jpg

download.jpeg

I’ve had hours looking at cars today online. None I can post here as they’re for my sister, who very specifically wants a 2019 69 or 20 reg Renault Kadjar 1.3 petrol in red. Luckily one near me ( weybridge) and one not too distant in Basingstoke. The year is important as she says Renault have been altering their warranty from 4 to 3 to 5 years recently. Makes me remember why I don’t want a modern car!

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Probably best left on the shelf as a collector's item, I think. DoT4 or, in my case, 5.1.

I can test brake fluid for water content at work, but at £50 a go it’s cheaper for you to buy a new bottle.

39 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I can test brake fluid for water content at work, but at £50 a go it’s cheaper for you to buy a new bottle.

That's it, most fluid-related infarction is down to people not changing it at appropriate intervals; as it slowly absorbs water the boiling point drops and eventually the driver really needs brakes and the pedal goes. The lower spec of DoT3 is a triviality in comparison.

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Looks like I'll need to do a Cambelt job on the 172 to sort this out. 

IMG_20200906_180639.thumb.jpg.a978ea45007624ca98acd297175d1626.jpg

Fucking hell. It's quite some achievement to get one that far out. They're either timed up right, or they're not.

If I can do it surely an ACKSHUALL MECOMIC can get it right.