The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Those Amtech tools don't exactly look top quality close up, to be fair.

This morning decided to go to work by Italian scooter. Turned the fuel on, turned the choke on, it won't start. Oh, is that a strong smell of petrol? Yes, it fucking well is, in fact it's all over the floor. Turn choke off, turn fuel off, push the bastard back in the garage and take the X7 instead. Ring garage arrange to take it back in tomorrow as it's not long back from expensive surgery, including a new carb.

FFWD several hours, come home from work, take the panel off to investigate. Turned fuel on (both positions) turned choke on, no signs of any leaks and a few kicks later it's fired up fine.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, stuboy said:

my son revealed to me he always like mk1 golfs, where did i go wrong its always was vauxhalls and fords... think i need therapy..

You think that's bad.... I'd known my stepson 8 years by the time he bought his first car, at the age of 25.  (He hadn't felt a need, being a submariner... nowhere to go when you're under water!)  You like to think you've been a good influence, parentally, don't you?  His first car was... a Y-prefix Golf GTI.  He followed it with at least two more Golfs and an A3.  I mean seriously, where did I go wrong?

@chaseracer: not strictly accurate but it'll do.  The problem was actually the starter not lining up with the ring, which was rectified the following week.  What we were doing with the BFO socket was hand-turning the engine so the starter would engage, however briefly.  I'm grateful to all the Shiters who joined in with the pushathon, it certainly added to the fun!

On 9/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, juular said:

Clonkity clonk on the Accord. Mrs Juular complained about it wandering on the motorway as well.

Off with you.

spacer.png

On with this.

spacer.png

Steering tight again and happy days.

On related note I bought these to do the job. They are shite.

spacer.png

Too much pressure on a bolt and the internal ratchet just slips in a knuckle slicing manner. 

To top it off euro car parts refused to refund me saying I'd just tried to borrow the spanners and return them. The same euro car parts I've probably spent a couple of grand in over the years on clutches, brakes, etc.

I got these from lidl yesterday for £11 based on your recommendation. 

20200905_090952.jpg

Serious though, I reckon they'll be fine for diy use. You could always use a regular spanner to crack the nut first.

Managed to take the Polonez out for the first time in 3 weeks. It actually managed to flatten its battery, but at least that gave me the opportunity to nick and try out the jumpstarter I bought for me dad.

The bastard car also threw a check engine light at one point. A quick restart cured it, so hopefully it's just hiccups caused by low battery voltage earlier in the day.

After not being able to drive it for a bit, the car's terribleness slightly caught me by surprise. :D Good thing it's such a sexy beast or there would be no reason to drive one. ;D

Also, I couldn't really go very far because it has about half a tank of fuel in it and that's gotta last me till payday. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a proper photo session tomorrow.

IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.4e2436dca2e2ba612692ec28f928e694.JPG

IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.df691a16954c6fb34993389f827b3614.JPG

IMG_1516.thumb.JPG.b67ae906847b99159b44d65cc84ab1b1.JPG

1 hour ago, Borsuq said:

Managed to take the Polonez out for the first time in 3 weeks. It actually managed to flatten its battery, but at least that gave me the opportunity to nick and try out the jumpstarter I bought for me dad.

The bastard car also threw a check engine light at one point. A quick restart cured it, so hopefully it's just hiccups caused by low battery voltage earlier in the day.

After not being able to drive it for a bit, the car's terribleness slightly caught me by surprise. :D Good thing it's such a sexy beast or there would be no reason to drive one. ;D

Also, I couldn't really go very far because it has about half a tank of fuel in it and that's gotta last me till payday. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a proper photo session tomorrow.

IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.4e2436dca2e2ba612692ec28f928e694.JPG

IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.df691a16954c6fb34993389f827b3614.JPG

IMG_1516.thumb.JPG.b67ae906847b99159b44d65cc84ab1b1.JPG

old style polish plates ftw

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Wife’s best friend is round this evening and has a car to sell.

It’s not quite autoshite unless there’s interest in a 60 plate VW Eos 2.0 TDi bluemotion?

Pictures, or STFU.

Not the car!

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I've just seen my first 70 plate car, which also happened to be the first new shape Corsa I've seen on the road.  I'm now on a train for the first time since February, so an exciting day so far. 

I saw a new corsa yestrday. I thought it was an astra. It's massive.

13 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

In preparation for the National Metro & Mini show tomorrow I’ve taken the Mini on a 160 mile drive down to the hotel. I think it’s the longest single trip I’ve taken in all the time I’ve owned it and I’m happy to report that it handled it without any issues

16826680-51-C5-4-CBB-826-A-CC086-F621-D8

My preparation for the show was to give the Rover its first wash in over a year. Then I woke up with a cold so it looks like I'll be staying at home.  ☹️

4 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Fuck me, they should rename themselves D Turpin Esq and Sons ?

My maw just bought an 18 plate Corsa Sri with 8k miles for 7 grand. Nice wee thing, has the VXR bodykit on it. 20 grand for any Vauxhall makes my mind boggle tbh

What causes dizziness? For the last few days I've been suffering from it. 

Friday afternoon I walked to the kitchen, I had to grab on to the fridge freezer to stop myself from falling. I've since had dizzy spells while sitting down where the whole room is spinning. It passes quickly but it happened again half an hour ago and I'm feeling sick now. 

Should I be concerned? I've checked and it's not a symptom of covid. I've also been quite breathless for the last week of and had to get an inhaler off my mam.