The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just got back from picking up the first Renault I've ever owned, the last one I even remember driving was a 5. I'm now the proud owner of SiC's Laguna and very pleased with it so far. I do like a sun roof epsecially one that works. Now to spend the evening reading the manual to figure out  what does what. Thanks to Si for picking me up from the station and in the AS way making it a very easy transaction.

IMG_20200902_192039.thumb.jpg.1dcf906c88547d829009bd00c24bf12c.jpg

Transit (very sadly) unlikely to see another MOT. Been a fantastic van, done everything it's been asked of and more, including picking up countless motorbikes (including a dead Honda Goldwing) helping move my son twice, shit loads of tip runs etc etc etc. It also allegedly* did 100mph on a private test track with a motorbike in the back of it one day. Drives like a car, ace on fuel, pulls like a train and isn't the hopeless wheezy pile of old wank that the RWD 2.4 ones are, nor a  ticking time bomb like the Mk6 2.2 diesels..

Anyhow, armed with the fact I need a less rusty van that's the same size as the SWB Transit with no rear or side windows, hasn't done big miles and will swallow a motorbike with ease, I was going to go and view a Vivaro 1.9 (cam belt version) but a very timely (and chance) message from a mate yesterday changed that.

Am I interested in his van? Yes.

Is it the same size as the Transit?

combomagicns.thumb.jpg.464c56db92d9f3cf62a48cbf0b5b89fc.jpg

No.

Has it got solid sides and rear doors?

combomagicp.thumb.jpg.7c891643a67871bd585c3160ba6eb0a5.jpg

No.

Has it done reasonable mileage? 

combomagicmiles.thumb.jpg.0a7dcdb7c36fb2f2bb6b00def79f8132.jpg

Will it swallow a motorbike with ease?

combomagicos.thumb.jpg.9649a90dd95eba155a169b7fcaef779a.jpg

Probs not, but will endeavour to find out.

54 minutes ago, tabact said:

Just got back from picking up the first Renault I've ever owned, the last one I even remember driving was a 5. I'm now the proud owner of SiC's Laguna and very pleased with it so far. I do like a sun roof epsecially one that works. Now to spend the evening reading the manual to figure out  what does what. Thanks to Si for picking me up from the station and in the AS way making it a very easy transaction.

IMG_20200902_192039.thumb.jpg.1dcf906c88547d829009bd00c24bf12c.jpg

Oh marvellous! I'll look out for you on the road! 

Is that the white xantia I see peeking out? 

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I once got some similar stains on the floor of my porch when some antifreeze leaked out of an old heater matrix I'd inadvertently knocked over, and some slugs then crawled into the puddle and partially dissolved.

Yes but that's AF dissolving slugs! Not likely on his drive - or is it?

7 hours ago, strangeangel said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, as long as it hasn't got a bulkhead fitted. That's about the same size as my old C15, and I carried all sorts of bikes in that.

I struggled to get one in my '02 citroen dispatch. A bloke drove up in the pissing down rain on his motorbike to buy it. We only just managed to get it in the back and close the doors.

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

I struggled to get one in my '02 citroen dispatch. A bloke drove up in the pissing down rain on his motorbike to buy it. We only just managed to get it in the back and close the doors.

I used to push the passenger seat as far forward as it would go, then wind the seat back forward. To get bigger stuff in I would remove the seat and put a wooden ammo crate in there to make the floor the same height throughout.

So I thought I'd give an update into my Insight that I purchased from @colc on here.

It's a unique thing as we all know to look at but the drive is what I'm most impressed with. Very roomy for a driver and a passenger to sit and the seats are genuinely comfortable.

So far, I replaced the dead stereo that was badly fitted with a Pioneer Bluetooth kit. Fitted it much better and sits right now. However the two speakers are shit, one is blown and I discovered that there's a spot behind the seats on these cars that already have 2 spaces pre fitted with wiring ready to take 2 more 6.5" speakers. Cool huh? So 4 new speakers are on order.

Also thanks to @Jim Bell I fitted a short shift kit which makes this little thing much snickier to drive with the gear throws shortened. 

I also spent a small fortune on LED bulbs, namely for stop/tail, reverse and indicators all round. I wanted to keep the futuristic look and they do look brilliant at night. Interior bulbs, number plate lights and side lights also have been changed for LED'S. 

Today I polished the headlamps as you'll see, with polishing pads on a drill and PlastX, and they've come up beautifully.

I'm in the middle of moving/revising for a work related exam so a lot of hassle right now.

The to do list is mainly to respray the wiper arms with satin black, C4 gtechniq the black trim all around, full interior scrub and valet, and a full service and engine flush.

The battery after recalibrating is nearly always full and my driving style has become relaxed. Mechanically as well this car is nigh on perfect. Stop start works immaculately, and there's a truck load of services and paperwork that shows this car had been cared for.

Even though my work colleagues have been relentless in the piss taking, I genuinely like this car, for its futuristic look, comfortable drive and reliability. 

IMG_20200903_125637.jpg

IMG_20200903_134556.jpg

IMG_20200829_125048.jpg

IMG_20200829_123512.jpg

IMG-20200828-WA0003.jpeg

Day two of welding the crusty Corsa. Made a wheel arch and welded it on the inside, whizz over with the sanding disc, a couple of new holes for the arch trim and Bob's ya uncle. Hoping the MoT man doesn't find any other crusty bits, fed up of setting my hair on fire now

20200903_131529.thumb.jpg.b585a8d4f87055a14c210975eebcc934.jpg20200903_131518.thumb.jpg.5b3027d0ab2dcf25a98e0136002f0b3b.jpg20200903_135127.thumb.jpg.a5035b54d92cf94f9bdaac7cb23a1e88.jpg

Clonkity clonk on the Accord. Mrs Juular complained about it wandering on the motorway as well.

Off with you.

spacer.png

On with this.

spacer.png

Steering tight again and happy days.

On related note I bought these to do the job. They are shite.

spacer.png

Too much pressure on a bolt and the internal ratchet just slips in a knuckle slicing manner. 

To top it off euro car parts refused to refund me saying I'd just tried to borrow the spanners and return them. The same euro car parts I've probably spent a couple of grand in over the years on clutches, brakes, etc.

Just got a new insurance policy for the Polonez.

I was mortified to find out that my insurance company clearly has absolutely no appreciation for FSO's glorious history, as they wrote down my car's brand as DAEWOO-FSO, despite the fact that my Polonez is a 1995 and Daewoo-FSO was not formed until the 28th of March 1996. Outrageous! How dare they! Absolute philistines. ?

Not to mention the fact that they wrote the spec down as GLi as opposed to GLI. Amateurs.

12 hours ago, strangeangel said:

I used to push the passenger seat as far forward as it would go, then wind the seat back forward. To get bigger stuff in I would remove the seat and put a wooden ammo crate in there to make the floor the same height throughout.

The works vans (mostly Partners) have special front seats that fold flat so you can get bigger (longer) things in them. Wouldn't mind trying to find a scrap yard one and see if the passenger seat can be hammered in to fit.

Right, in other news the Galaxy injectors were cleaned and tested and said to be ok, but he couldn't understand why they had so much carbon on them. Here they are when they came back...

No photo description available.

Got some copper seals and leak off pipe and proceeded to refit them after work today. A bit of arsing about, but they're in and the car fired up first crack and strangely didn't smoke, nor did it seem to on a test run once it was warmed up. It'll be pretty class if it has stopped the smoke, but I doubt it.  Car repairs at Cavcraft can be like wars, there's often a casualty or two. This time it was the already partially broken/fragile looking heater plug rail...

No photo description available.

...the break/exposed wire calamity was already there. but it got twisted about a bit coming off and being refitted, so I'm guessing that's the problem. Weirdly, the glow plug light stays off until it's been running for 15 or 20 seconds or something, then comes on. Doesn't seem to have effected it in anyway, but a bit annoying so will try and score one from somewhere.

Come the weekend I'll drain as much of the fuel out as possible (luckily still have lots of empty clean veg oil containers) then chuck some expensive diesel and fuel cleaner in, then take it for an almighty good booting up/down the motorway. 

Next up (hopefully) will be getting a driver's door loom and praying to the great God of working central locking that it cures a couple of niggles.

17 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I bought one of those spanners a few years back and can confirm they are useless.  Apart from being weak the ratchet is also so crude that you need about 15° of movement just to get one click.  Hopeless in tight spaces.

The TopTech ones I bought from ECP(?) earlier in the year from advice on here about an offer are ok for light/medium jobs I think.

In other offer news...

Great news, not only are Diamondbrite now sponsoring Furious Driving , to celebrate they are offering a 20% discount on everything in the http://diamondbrite.co.uk shop during September - just use code FD20 at the checkout and get your car clean and protected inside and out!

They do some good products.

The Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaag is going into the bodyshop on Tuesday for a makeover. It's getting the bonnet, roof right down to the pillars, boot and rear quarters painted. Pretty much the whole top half of the car. ££££ZOMG's but it'll be worth it.

This week it's had an oil change, front brake discs and pads and after it comes out the bodyshop it's getting a full set of tyres. Were meant to be fitted this week but some idiot (me) ordered the wrong profile size, so correct ones incoming and fitted by mobile tyre guy next week. Oh and I fitted a new stereo as well. Definitely not telling the wife how much has been spent on this car

After all this plus the jobs @dome done getting it MOT worthy, including a not unsubstantial amount of welding, it's going to be a pretty well sorted wafting machine.Can't wait to post photos of it with it's new paint !

118645725_741969616586623_1463150441138855659_n.jpg

118615774_301838517769789_5195375799702528853_n.jpg

118617371_409068563393233_24506752294879467_n.jpg

118588040_3135687159881187_3377671019522895187_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, brownnova said:

My Facebook memories reminded me that this was 4 years ago... 

CC1D0B2C-34A0-406A-8F0F-BE37FE27B1B4.jpeg

The time we pushed @eddyramrod’s Huggy at Chumley. 

Looks like one of those “ last one to keep touch with the car keeps it” competitions.

1 hour ago, SRi05 said:

The Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaag is going into the bodyshop on Tuesday for a makeover. It's getting the bonnet, roof right down to the pillars, boot and rear quarters painted. Pretty much the whole top half of the car. ££££ZOMG's but it'll be worth it.

This week it's had an oil change, front brake discs and pads and after it comes out the bodyshop it's getting a full set of tyres. Were meant to be fitted this week but some idiot (me) ordered the wrong profile size, so correct ones incoming and fitted by mobile tyre guy next week. Oh and I fitted a new stereo as well. Definitely not telling the wife how much has been spent on this car

After all this plus the jobs @dome done getting it MOT worthy, including a not unsubstantial amount of welding, it's going to be a pretty well sorted wafting machine.Can't wait to post photos of it with it's new paint !

118645725_741969616586623_1463150441138855659_n.jpg

118615774_301838517769789_5195375799702528853_n.jpg

118617371_409068563393233_24506752294879467_n.jpg

118588040_3135687159881187_3377671019522895187_n.jpg

I'd be interested to see the result as I would like to get the front bumper painted on my 75.

Capri fiddling time!

New wheel bearings going in next week then it'll get an MoT. Also replacing the front brake flexi hoses, fitted with aftermarket braided ones which have rubbed on the tyre. Not a fail per se but not good practice. 

The lamp holders for the oil and brake warnings don't always make a good connection and when reassembling the dash it's dead easy to knock them out of alignment. One now working, the other needs a bit of magic tin foil which I'll sort out tomorrow. Also need to top up the diff oil, which is much easier with a soap dispenser pump. 

That done, I blew a fuse... 

IMG_20200904_190730.thumb.jpg.22e2fb35ec4289a306ac7aba1195f7c2.jpg

In the course of fitting

IMG_20200904_191814.thumb.jpg.d655fc4c16ce7daf8c23cb7da55009ef.jpg

Which I think is suitably 80s for it! To avoid cutting the dash, it's slung under the fag lighter. Some fettling and realignment needed. 

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

My Facebook memories reminded me that this was 4 years ago... 

CC1D0B2C-34A0-406A-8F0F-BE37FE27B1B4.jpeg

The time we pushed @eddyramrod’s Huggy at Chumley. 

Twice!

Then Junkman fixed the timing with a BFO spanner and several choice Austrian imprecations, and all 472 cubic inches came back.

?