The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

ALL sugar-free sweets/mints should be avoided. This happened to me during a Cannock visit some years ago when I downed a whole packet of sugar-free Polos. I was back and forth to the toilet like a yoyo. Great for clearing the contents of stomach if you are feeling a bit bloated I guess.

DIY Picolax; it's a fun* visit to the hospital when that's involved.

3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

WTF?, you have a problem.......

My guess is an Insight.

Winner!

Just got back to Watford for a flying visit to the parents. 80mpg achieved with not much effort. This car is brilliant. Quirky and so comfortable to drive. Battery is in rude health as well which I'm chuffed with. A few minor things to do aesthetic wise and I'll make it look smarter but I'm pleased. Looks like I'll be hanging up my car buying tendencies for a while as I've found the perfect vehicle to commute and save money. Brilliant to see Colin again and his amazing house.

IMG_20200824_143557.jpg

5 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Winner!

Just got back to Watford for a flying visit to the parents. 80mpg achieved with not much effort. This car is brilliant. Quirky and so comfortable to drive. Battery is in rude health as well which I'm chuffed with. A few minor things to do aesthetic wise and I'll make it look smarter but I'm pleased. Looks like I'll be hanging up my car buying tendencies for a while as I've found the perfect vehicle to commute and save money. Brilliant to see Colin again and his amazing house.

IMG_20200824_143557.jpg

Dibs please, I'll give it a month.

6 hours ago, sims00 said:

So I say goodbye already to the Legacy today and I'm picking up something completely at the other end of the motoring scale. 3 hour journey awaits me. Something which is super rare, super frugal and only 2 other members have. 

I know it is NOT a 305 van. It never is.?

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Please tell me that's not the Invacar.

I would be well impressed if it was!

A: for how just how hard you would have to rag the tits off the poor thing to get that low of an MPG figure (maybe ill finally get a verified  top speed number? LOL)

and

B: for somehow getting 64 litres into a 20 litre fuel tank :mrgreen:

(on a more serious note I think its the Jaaaag)

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Please tell me that's not the Invacar.

No.  Though the mid 20s it was initially returning was bad enough, seems to be doing better now the carb has been fettled and returned 35mpg from the last tank which is more in the expected ballpark.

Worst tank I think I've had from the Jag so far was 9.6mpg.  I'd really like to see the average creeping into the mid teens really, currently sitting at 12.7.  I know the A bank inlet manifold gasket is compromised in at least one location so that won't be helping anything.

18 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

No.  Though the mid 20s it was initially returning was bad enough, seems to be doing better now the carb has been fettled and returned 35mpg from the last tank which is more in the expected ballpark.

Worst tank I think I've had from the Jag so far was 9.6mpg.  I'd really like to see the average creeping into the mid teens really, currently sitting at 12.7.  I know the A bank inlet manifold gasket is compromised in at least one location so that won't be helping anything.

You're doing marginally better than Brother Fumbler's old P38 which had 4 less cylinders! Best we got was 18 on the trip to buy the Land Cruiser. 18 is, apparently, the best you can ever get with that engine.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:17 AM, wuvvum said:

There is also an occasional knock from the offside front over bigger bumps - I'm going to replace both drop links and see if that cures it as they don't look particularly recent and again, they're cheap.  Replacing fuses got the sunroof and rear fogs working again - the aircon doesn't seem to do much though (I can't hear the compressor kicking in), and the airbag light is on with my Delphi kit unable to find a fault code, so not sure what's going on there.  Overall it's still a nice thing to drive with pretty car-like handling, although with black leather seats it could do with working aircon.

drop links will sound like the front is going to fall off!

air con- check this relay as there was a better quality one released yhat is supposed to be less failure prone

IMG_20200824_194855.thumb.jpg.51801400efcf2f4fda1d0fa96ede180f.jpg

IMG_20200824_194812.thumb.jpg.42eed55a7dba2270bea91da6d14c7227.jpg

the troublesome one is an Omron the upgrade is Mitsuba

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Stuboy junior attempting parallel parking..

1st proper lesson booked for the 1st September 

Your lads doing great there, I've been driving for nearly 24 years and usually avoid parallel parking am I'm so dreadful at it. I guess I'm out of practice as I'm rarely anywhere that I have to do it. When I had a flat with on street parking I was decent at it but that was nearly 20 years ago!

Nice clutch control there too, I can't even hear the engine. 

5 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Your lads doing great there, I've been driving for nearly 24 years and usually avoid parallel parking am I'm so dreadful at it. I guess I'm out of practice as I'm rarely anywhere that I have to do it. When I had a flat with on street parking I was decent at it but that was nearly 20 years ago!

Nice clutch control there too, I can't even hear the engine. 

I seem to be able to manage it *most* of the time in the Jag, no bother in the van...Xantia (or when I still had it, 107), nope!  To be honest it's something which beyond the test I think I can count on one hand how often it's a skill I've needed each year.

13 hours ago, sims00 said:

So I say goodbye already to the Legacy today and I'm picking up something completely at the other end of the motoring scale. 3 hour journey awaits me. Something which is super rare, super frugal and only 2 other members have. 

Oh god / good. Invacar?