The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Off to Stockton-on-Tees from Bonnybridge later today for a family party.

Levels and pressures all checked, day off so it's feet up until my son finishes school and my wife gets in from work. 

I'm looking forward to the drive. Lest the A66 be clear.

IMG_20200821_112318.jpg

A66 is a lovely road when there's not a knob doing 33mph infront of you up the hill... 

There's a banging farm cafe not long after you get on it from scotch corner. 

Last time I drove it was in heavy snow, it was closed the next day when we wanted to go home! Had to go down further and across M62 in torrential awful biblical rain (the heavy snow that closed the A66 just a few degrees warmer) which was even worse I think! In a car that liked to brake for itself... 

On 8/17/2020 at 11:28 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

That's nuts. Your old car is a modified version of the same car as mine. They are rocking horse shit now- I've never, ever seen another apart from in the old online Argos brochures. Mine's at the top right. I assume yours is long gone?

Until now I've drawn blanks on how the underside should look due to no records or examples remaining that I can find. 

If you can find the other photo and get me a clearer version, I'd be eternally grateful fella.

Screenshot_20200817-232558_Gallery.jpg

i had the police car one above when i was small. Sharna Toys were once part of the Lines  Bros/Triang empire i think.

used to go all over in it! so much so my father had to get another set of wheels for it cos i wore the original ones out!

local bobbys would flash the blues and give me and me mam a toot on the horn is they passed us in their panda car while i was pedalling furiously away. and the would not be allowed to do that now.....

my sister had it after me. but long, long gone now! passed on to my cousin i should think when we had finished with it, as was the way back then.

1 hour ago, MarvinsMom said:

i had the police car one above when i was small. Sharna Toys were once part of the Lines  Bros/Triang empire i think.

used to go all over in it! so much so my father had to get another set of wheels for it cos i wore the original ones out!

local bobbys would flash the blues and give me and me mam a toot on the horn is they passed us in their panda car while i was pedalling furiously away. and the would not be allowed to do that now.....

my sister had it after me. but long, long gone now! passed on to my cousin i should think when we had finished with it, as was the way back then.

Love it. Funnily enough bnack in the day we robbed the front wheels from my mates old Raleigh pedal car when he was binning it, which were duly bodged onto mine, replacing the worn out originals. They were discovered underneath the car when we dragged it out from under the hedge two years ago. 

Got any photos?!

Salt Dog Fukus decided to disgrace its self on the way home from work today. 

The big central heat shield parted company with the floor pan on one side, causing a right racket as it dragged along the road. 

Pulled onto a kerb, and managed to bend it into a less dangly position. Still scrapes on speed bumps, but it can stay like that. 

Galaxy long overdue a service, had a new fuel filter not so long ago, but can’t remember when oil, oil filter and air filter done.

Bits got from Euro Crap Tarts...

DDAA926B-C4E3-4A1E-8FB3-77673DBD4EDE.thumb.jpeg.3dd0904d12d08bcab329afe8700baa53.jpeg

...attempted to sort today but TOTES FAILURE due to the engine tray still being in place and a healthy dose of CBA trying to remove it properly. Did manage to change the air filter though, the old one was quite hanging...

71D934BE-59B0-4629-A2D4-3275242FBAF4.thumb.jpeg.adf43b26bfa11a48b0356b9763005796.jpeg

9401DC85-7EB2-46B4-B71E-905004E62B57.thumb.jpeg.fd4a43eeae4a02bd8611bc260cc02741.jpeg

Checked the oil/oil level and the bottom of the dip stick was absolutely minging, is it worth getting some engine flush or are there still tales of woe with it loosening all the shit in the engine, then blocking oil ways, or whatever?

Took the very good Michelin off the 406, that’s getting swapped with one on the front of the Galaxy when I get it to garage. Can belt probably due so will order a kit for it.

A1D611A9-CE89-4529-9830-DB3A90BC753B.thumb.jpeg.04cd77da73fce6c008e12ce1fe255cdb.jpeg

(not) flushed with success I had a look at the Li to see why the lights and horn didn’t work anymore, the garage had put one wire back in the wrong place and it wasn’t connected properly anyway. Now correctly fitted and everything* works again...

506E775E-0662-4D31-B0C8-4B491F3B5951.thumb.jpeg.3d278441956f3dc3750a6fc9be6b26f1.jpegF2697E01-7D7F-4D6D-8D13-6A2CCC931AC4.thumb.jpeg.29387bfe88d5a1f7e408c7c62eeb5aab.jpeg

10 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

DO NOT eat a full bag of Aldi "Dominion" sugar free mini gums in one go.
If you do, there's a good bet that you're a maximum of two hours before your toilet paper stockpile is needed.

Ask me how I know that maltitols affect me!!!!!

Been there done that, Aldi sugar free sweets are best totally avoided.

Productive hour or so working on the Capri. Got the brake lines in the engine bay primered, I'm going to do them in green as was original spec. 

Did a horrible bodge of wob on the NSR arch. It had been wobbed by a previous keeper and was crumbling. I'm planning on getting some proper bodywork done on the rear arches, sills, A posts next year. Plan is to save up a reasonable wodge of cash so that I can get it done properly. Until then, the wob will suffice. 

Next job will be to drop the dash and sort out the non working warning lamps... 

Underside looking reasonable though. Which is good. 

IMG_20200823_184505.jpg

Today's mission was to get the Spacy running again.  Today's mission was a failure.

I'd previous stripped and cleaned the carb, and I refitted it earlier in the week, but the fuel tap was knackered.  I'd ordered one from China which turned up and was fitted - that worked in the sense that it switched the fuel on when a vacuum was applied, but as soon as I filled the tank up it started leaking round the screw fitting onto the tank.  It turned out the O-ring which came with the tap was far too small - it was designed to fit around a filter which is supposed to go up into the tank, but the Spacy's tank outlet is too small for the filter to fit so there was nothing to hold the O-ring in place.  I popped round to see a mate and he produced a slightly larger O-ring from his stash - the two are now fitted concentrically and are so far proving to be petroltight.

Then I thought I'd better check the oil level and top it up - the bike has an oil leak so the level drops over time.  I was surprised to find that the level was higher than when I last checked it.  It turned out the sump was full of petrol (seems to be a recurring theme with my fleet at the moment) so I tipped it out (through the filler hole by tipping the bike on its side, as there was no way the drain plug was going to come undone) and refilled it with nice fresh 20w50.

The Spacy's battery is completely knackered so I got my big battery and attached the jump leads.  Nothing - completely dead.  Checked fuses and all OK - I then had great fun* going round the bike cleaning and checking electrical connections.  Eventually the ignition sprang to life.  So I put my foot on the brake pedal and pressed the starter button.

No compression.  Cock.

Off with the rocker cover then.

DSC_1193.thumb.JPG.e37df05311bac18b13041dee80e63d4d.JPG

The cam chain was intact and correctly tensioned, which was a relief.  There was a bit of the manky petrol mix from the sump in there so I cleaned that out.  I wasn't able to check whether the valves were opening and closing properly as the rocker arms are integral to the rocker cover, but the camshaft lobes look nice and clean.  There's an odd nut on one of the head studs which suggests it's been off before, although I suppose that's unsurprising on a 37-year-old bike.

So back together again, spark plug out (I couldn't find my plug spanner but the access on the Spacy is such that a 18mm ring spanner will undo the plug) and a dribble of oil down the hole.

Ah, that sounds a bit healthier.  Piston rings it is then...  I think that unfortunately further dismantleage is going to be required before it'll run again, and I need to acquire the requisite gaskets etc (and dig out the workshop manual) before I remove any more bits.  So I'm still a way off being able to take it for a cheeky spin, frustratingly.

My working theory is as follows (anyone with better mechanical knowledge than me feel free to tell me that it's bollocks):

The original fuel tap was knackered.  The diaphragm inside had rotted out and was allowing petrol to flow through the vacuum hose (as I found when I tried to suck on it to open the tap and was rewarded with a gobful of unleaded).  So obviously over time the petrol that was in the tank has been gradually flowing down the vacuum hose and straight into the intake pipe, between the carb and the engine, and thence into the cylinder head.  The engine must have stopped with the inlet valve at least partially open, so the petrol has then been flowing into the cylinder, down the bore, past the piston rings and into the sump.  In doing so it has somehow buggered up the piston rings - whether they had become stuck to the sides because the petrol had washed all the oil away, or whether they've lost their sealing ability for some other reason, I don't know as yet.  It's another job I wasn't planning on having to do though.  :roll:

13 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

DO NOT eat a full bag of Aldi "Dominion" sugar free mini gums in one go.
If you do, there's a good bet that you're a maximum of two hours before your toilet paper stockpile is needed.

Ask me how I know that maltitols affect me!!!!!

ALL sugar-free sweets/mints should be avoided. This happened to me during a Cannock visit some years ago when I downed a whole packet of sugar-free Polos. I was back and forth to the toilet like a yoyo. Great for clearing the contents of stomach if you are feeling a bit bloated I guess.

2 hours ago, sims00 said:

So I say goodbye already to the Legacy today and I'm picking up something completely at the other end of the motoring scale. 3 hour journey awaits me. Something which is super rare, super frugal and only 2 other members have. 

WTF?, you have a problem.......

My guess is an Insight.

4 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

ALL sugar-free sweets/mints should be avoided. This happened to me during a Cannock visit some years ago when I downed a whole packet of sugar-free Polos. I was back and forth to the toilet like a yoyo. Great for clearing the contents of stomach if you are feeling a bit bloated I guess.

DIY Picolax; it's a fun* visit to the hospital when that's involved.

3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

WTF?, you have a problem.......

My guess is an Insight.

Winner!

Just got back to Watford for a flying visit to the parents. 80mpg achieved with not much effort. This car is brilliant. Quirky and so comfortable to drive. Battery is in rude health as well which I'm chuffed with. A few minor things to do aesthetic wise and I'll make it look smarter but I'm pleased. Looks like I'll be hanging up my car buying tendencies for a while as I've found the perfect vehicle to commute and save money. Brilliant to see Colin again and his amazing house.

IMG_20200824_143557.jpg