The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Ah, that's much more how I'd have preferred my commute.  I used the bus for about a year and a half before nearly losing my sanity when they changed the timetable.  After that the driver had to boot it through town in rush hour...then pootle along the next 15 miles of open country dual carriageway at about 25mph as there was massively too much time in the timetable there.

Was far nicer prior to that, especially when they still had the old Olympians on the run... nothing like getting to sit in the back a foot away from a Gardner absolutely gunning it down the A96...

Ah, that's much more how I'd have preferred my commute.  I used the bus for about a year and a half before nearly losing my sanity when they changed the timetable.  After that the driver had to boot it through town in rush hour...then pootle along the next 15 miles of open country dual carriageway at about 25mph as there was massively too much time in the timetable there.
Was far nicer prior to that, especially when they still had the old Olympians on the run... nothing like getting to sit in the back a foot away from a Gardner absolutely gunning it down the A96...
We had the same timetable problems on the 305. At busy times it was impossible to get to Dyce in the allotted 25 minutes, it was more like an hour and then the whole journey was late, but when Aberdeen was quiet and we did get to Dyce on time then it was about 35 mph all the way to Macduff.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Much of the bus service in north Norfolk is contracted out to Sanders Coach Services, and back in the day they had a proper eclectic collection of old heaps, including two multi-coloured Olympians.  I used to breathe a sigh of relief when the one with the 5-speed 'box would turn up - the four-speeder ran out of revs at 43 which made for a very tedious run in to Norwich, with the 6LXB sounding like it would put a rod through the block at any moment.  The 5-speeder would wind up to about 53 before wind resistance got the better of it, and the soundtrack was more pleasant as the engine was working hard but not sitting on the limiter.

They also had a Van Hool-bodied Bedford 53-seater with a 500 non-turbo engine, so it looked pretty modern (this was back in the early 2000s) but wouldn't pull 6th gear into a headwind.  The last bus back in the evening was always a Plaxton-bodied 609D with a manual 'box, which must have been a right chore to drive down the little back lanes.

Sanders still do have a varied fleet, although with a few exceptions they're all painted one colour now.  They have a massive tri-axle double decker, another double decker which is just as long but only has two axles, and a variety of single deckers including an 03-plate Scania which sounds like it's going to fall apart every time it hits a bump but absolutely bloody flies.

This afternoon I have mostly been discovering another CX living near Tring, a 1985 Series 1 Pallas IE which has been living in a secluded garage in the middle of nowhere. It's off the road with - titter ye not - starting problems. Also has quite a bit of rust developing along the sills and in the driver's foot well.

Its owner was after a twin-sensor AEI injection ECU, which I happened to have in my little shed of CX spares. No cash changed hands, as he gave me a single-sensor AEI in return. He also owns a Volvo Amazon and other assorted modern shite.

Think I'll be going back up there if I  can find a starter motor in the next few days......

Anyone remember me driving my T2 back under my carport with the pop roof still up on August 12th - last year?

Most of it was repaired quite quickly, but Dormobile ripped the headlining while fitting a new roof cap, and Corvid has led to further delays which has meant that the headlining has not been repaired until now! I retrieved it from the trimmer at lunchtime, but because my drive has had to be completely dug up at the moment, I've driven it down to store at a local VW repairer for a day or two. And it was raining, and I forgot my camera, but it looks bloody nice.  Pictures in a day or three when it comes back again...

On 8/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, stuboy said:

Stuboy junior car tyres are not the best, and few days ago I spotted a corsa wheel with new tyre for £20, well he moaned about spending money.. and did nothing about it , I couldn't miss this bargain so went got it myself..  bloody kids

received_605808313655309.jpeg

Its 15 years old ...? 25 05 

Yo, hows it hanging chaps? 

At my mums in Sussex and am looking through some old photos and found this one. 

13009006_AGallery_228.thumb.jpg.8e9035731ab3fa1355a9ec089b07f251.jpg

Whats the blue car that looks like a Bond Bug but with a cloth hood. 

Also where the fook is this? We're not sure. 

Here's a bonus picture of me working on my car in Gretna, in the very early 80s.

206995823_AGallery_258.thumb.jpg.dba741c96b47af81d7e04464db3c8b92.jpg

8 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

You rolled it? (Sorry, have no answer to your questions)

Probably smacked off me tits and in no state to drive being 1980s Gretna. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

the blue thing is a motorbike sidecar is it not

By jove I think you're right.

2 minutes ago, Out Run said:

I’d say so. Given there is a motorbike attached!

Yeah, thats probably a giveaway. I've got the actual photo here and hadn't spotted that. 

23 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Here's a bonus picture of me working on my car in Gretna, in the very early 80s.

206995823_AGallery_258.thumb.jpg.dba741c96b47af81d7e04464db3c8b92.jpg

Looks like your tracking is way out! 

Have you got a clearer version of this photo? Random question, but I can see the pedal car is a Sharna (Triang) brand and is of the same age as my childhood Sharna police pedal car. I've spent the last 12 months buying random bits to try and rebuild it as it was left outside since the early 80s...

I sm struggling to work out where the bar through the tops of the pedals were mounted onto the car itself as mine doesn't have any obvious locating points. I'm wondering if the original photo of yours may cast some more light on it? 

2 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Looks like your tracking is way out! 

Have you got a clearer version of this photo? Random question, but I can see the pedal car is a Sharna (Triang) brand and is of the same age as my childhood Sharna police pedal car. I've spent the last 12 months buying random bits to try and rebuild it as it was left outside since the early 80s...

I sm struggling to work out where the bar through the tops of the pedals were mounted onto the car itself as mine doesn't have any obvious locating points. I'm wondering if the original photo of yours may cast some more light on it? 

Thats a photo of a photo on my phone. Can possibly get a clearer pic if I can find it again. 

The cars one of these. 

FB_IMG_1597702830618.thumb.jpg.0bb98915a60865ab05da3a130b77d7b2.jpg

6 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Thats a photo of a photo on my phone. Can possibly get a clearer pic if I can find it again. 

The cars one of these. 

FB_IMG_1597702830618.thumb.jpg.0bb98915a60865ab05da3a130b77d7b2.jpg

That's nuts. Your old car is a modified version of the same car as mine. They are rocking horse shit now- I've never, ever seen another apart from in the old online Argos brochures. Mine's at the top right. I assume yours is long gone?

Until now I've drawn blanks on how the underside should look due to no records or examples remaining that I can find. 

If you can find the other photo and get me a clearer version, I'd be eternally grateful fella.

Screenshot_20200817-232558_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's nuts. Your old car is a modified version of the same car as mine. They are rocking horse shit now- I've never, ever seen another apart from in the old online Argos brochures. Mine's at the top right. I assume yours is long gone?

Until now I've drawn blanks on how the underside should look due to no records or examples remaining that I can find. 

If you can find the other photo and get me a clearer version, I'd be eternally grateful fella.

Screenshot_20200817-232558_Gallery.jpg

Yeah, long gone. I remember being absolutely devistated seeing it left out by the bin one day. That was before 1983 too, so its definitely in a landfill somewhere in the Scottish Borders now. 

7 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Yeah, long gone. I remember being absolutely devistated seeing it left out by the bin one day. That was before 1983 too, so its definitely in a landfill somewhere in the Scottish Borders now. 

Gutted! Did the bootlid open on yours? Mine still works. Shame about the rest of it. 

If you can find that photo...

21 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Gutted! Did the bootlid open on yours? Mine still works. Shame about the rest of it. 

I've looked in the Asda bag (writing this for my own memory) and can't find it. Will try some of the other bags tomorrow. 

In the meantime have this. 506268260_AGallery_262.thumb.jpg.4655b7367a8e725bfdad517750abd81f.jpg

10 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

My mum seems to think it had a boot that opened. 

Found the photo (in the frigging bag I'd checked last night which I checked again after looking through all the others) and its not much clearer I'm afraid. 

143336970_AGallery_266.thumb.jpg.37b5746920d0419ce3c14495518ef9ee.jpg

Must've been a cheap camera/film or a shit photographer or maybe a bit of all three. 

Does that bit just sit there though, is the frame attached elsewhere and thats kind of resting against the wheelarch to keep it in place rather than being attached? 

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

...Found the photo (in the frigging bag I'd checked last night which I checked again after looking through all the others) and its not much clearer I'm afraid. 

143336970_AGallery_266.thumb.jpg.37b5746920d0419ce3c14495518ef9ee.jpg

With a bit of work, that could recreate the full Fred Flintstone driving experience*