The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, paulplom said:

My son has just turned 15. I'm looking forward to this carry on in two years time.

Crack on!

I was driving around in a SIII Land Rover at 15! I did grow up on a farm, mind. Plenty of space to do that without going anywhere near a public highway.

Good thinking.

I'm going to try and sneak him on the next Teeside trackday. Passengers aee meant to be 16 plus but I think he'll pass for older. He's already taller than me ffs.

He's mad keen on cars as it is.

There's a massive empty car park near where we live...

On 8/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, puddlethumper said:

And then this, probably kit, Moke that hippies in a bus drag around on the back. Nice drawbar.

DSC00912.JPG

I think that is probably one of the later Aussie or Portuguese Mokes. I always wanted a Moke until I had one, if you think an ADO16 is a rot box buy a UK Moke. 

post-3477-0-94027300-1383065539.jpg

And if you think that doesn't look too bad, you're right. The rest of it was a lot worse, I think the rear subframe was mostly held on by the brake pipes and handbrake cables

20 hours ago, N19 said:

Feeling slightly guilty that the Capri hasn't seen much attention lately. This is a mixture of being so busy during lockdown, moving house, and the current lockup being 15 minutes walk from the new flat.  I've also been distracted with the daily contingent of the fleet needing work, which has kept the spanner-time busy, and lack of any shows or meets to aim for.

Anyway, the dash needs to come out again to sort out the brake/oil pressure warning lights - there's one with a dodgy connection, going to try loading a bit of solder onto the tabs to improve the connection. And swap over the radio. Plus, I have a set of fresh water hoses ready to go on, and I should check the fuel lines at the tank end if there's any rubber there (front done a year or so ago).

I also have a couple of bits of paintwork to sort out. The A pillars and sills will need proper attention at some point - they're ok, but are starting to show signs of rust bubbling through. I'm hoping to do this next year, having put aside enough cash to get a proper job done.

And I should put back the rear wiper arm that I took off briefly... In February. 

IMG_20200712_111815.jpg

Fabulous.

My first car was a 1.6 L, V reg. Mine was in pale metallic blue.

Just realised that's 30 years ago now !!

28 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Fabulous.

My first car was a 1.6 L, V reg. Mine was in pale metallic blue.

Just realised that's 30 years ago now !!

Lower spec models are pretty rare now, they were unsexy in the 90s so tended to get scrapped or modded etc. 

Oh, also need to fix the HRW which is not on, but I think that may be the switch having fallen out. 

Decided to give the Mondeo the promised service. Air filter and spark plugs done in record time, very accessible. 

IMG_20200815_183538.thumb.jpg.6d5ed3bc635606b1530fbea7cf37562b.jpg

HT leads, again, done in a jiffy. 

Now the oil. One of those clicking ratchet caps, only it seems stuck... SNAP oh. Now a headless filler cap. Managed to persuade it to unscrew, but isn't sealed so can't go far. Ten minutes after Midnight Motors has closed, because Saturday. 

IMG_20200815_191012.thumb.jpg.d94a006dcf04bd9a13d4bab3398b9d5d.jpgGreat! 

No worries though, I could nip in the Bluebird tomorrow morning to pick up a new filler cap. Won't have time to actually change the oil before needing to go out but at least it'll be ready for one evening during the week. Bluebird proceeds to turn over slowly and not fire up, only emitting the odd clunk every so often. Bugger. 

So the current plan is to drive down to the lockup with the Mondeo, mashed up cap in situ (3 minute drive that time of a Sunday), then take the Capri up to Midnight Motors for when they open, obtain filler cap, bring back, go to work. That will at least leave me with one daily working. 

Or I could see if the Bluebird filler cap fits the Mondeo, which is obscure and possibly unlikely.

Worst case scenario, the Capri can get me to work fine...

The joys of ownership of old cars! 

10 minutes ago, N19 said:

Lower spec models are pretty rare now, they were unsexy in the 90s so tended to get scrapped or modded etc. 

Oh, also need to fix the HRW which is not on, but I think that may be the switch having fallen out. 

Except on here it seems! Three 1.6L’s not sure if we have any others of other types.

1 minute ago, N19 said:

But of course! 

"Is that the 2.8 laser injection special tickford? My mate used to have to put paving slabs in the boot" 

Tell me about that! Having rebuilt mine on the drive I have learnt all about the John player brooklands 3 litre injection specials that people ‘used to own’. I guess folk remember them and want to talk about them and that’s all they know.

Just now, Tamworthbay said:

Tell me about that! Having rebuilt mine on the drive I have learnt all about the John player brooklands 3 litre injection specials that people ‘used to own’. I guess folk remember them and want to talk about them and that’s all they know.

I don't mind the people who are genuinely a bit ignorant or ill informed, who are probably just wanting a chat, and who have a little misguided knowledge. In fairness, I'd probably be similar talking about say british leyland stuff. The annoying one is the people who tell you absolute 'facts' and insist they're right...

55 minutes ago, N19 said:

I don't mind the people who are genuinely a bit ignorant or ill informed, who are probably just wanting a chat, and who have a little misguided knowledge. In fairness, I'd probably be similar talking about say british leyland stuff. The annoying one is the people who tell you absolute 'facts' and insist they're right...

Same here, one bloke tried to convince me that Mk3s were MK5 Cortinas underneath. Even when I showed him the leaf springs he was adamant. But most people are just genuinely pleased to see a bit of history being preserved.

I sold the Merc today, not without some misgiving.  I'd more or less reached the conclusion that it wasn't going to sell and I'd even ordered a new front caliper and flexi for it, but I had a 'phone call this morning from a chap who actually owned the car a few years back and had himself regretted getting rid, so he was quite keen to have it back.  He made me a decent enough offer and had paid via bank transfer within a couple of hours - he's sending a recovery chap up to collect it at some point soon.

That's put a bit more money in the kitty to get the rest of the fleet sorted, which is good.  I've ordered the new headlight mounts for the Innocenti, and I'm going to buy it an exhaust as well - I've found a place in Germany that does them, but they have a delivery time of about a month and ideally I'd like it to come a bit sooner than that.  I might even finally get around to getting the brakes sorted on the 164.

Not got too much done today due to the shite weather, but I did get the new expansion bottle fitted to the V70, and I fitted new caliper slider pins (which have cured the annoying rattle) and one front drop link to the CRV - I'll do the other drop link tomorrow if it's dry.  My Chinese replacement fuel tap for the Spacy arrived on Thursday so I fitted that too.  Then while scrabbling through a box of assorted tools looking for my nut splitter I found another brand new Spacy fuel tap, which I must have ordered years ago and completely forgotten about.  Oh well, I've got two now...

Good quality interior.

box.jpg.06f4514719f717aa014f7770ccb64034.jpg

Wasted ages and half a tube of glue trying to glue it back on before giving up and using duct tape, which will work perfectly until the next time the car gets hot inside (in about twelve hours). If it does fall apart again, it's getting some self tappers or cable ties and the next owner can splash out the £50 for a new door if they want one. 

17 minutes ago, doug said:

Start a new job on monday so needed a cheap car quick. Got this for £275. Needs a battery, brakes freed off, exhaust blowing. I ran out of daylight tonight to give it a good check over. Busy day tomorrow. No panic.cc8e74ee540feb734f78db0df08781c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Looks like a 2 litre going by the wheels? Nice colour too,  I have the Bburago model.

54 minutes ago, doug said:

Start a new job on monday so needed a cheap car quick. Got this for £275. Needs a battery, brakes freed off, exhaust blowing. I ran out of daylight tonight to give it a good check over. Busy day tomorrow. No panic.cc8e74ee540feb734f78db0df08781c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Nice one one  on the job! Remember to put the flower in the vase,

Just now, cort16 said:

Nice one one  on the job! Remember to put the flower in the vase,

Cheers ,not worked since the end of March so it will be strange getting back into it.

The car came with a wee teddy, you can just make it out on the dash. Think I will keep it there just to wind my daughters up as they are not very impressed with my latest purchase!

Last train to Wemyss Bay tonight - 2236 off Glasgow. The joys*
Inverclyde young team were out in force but thankfully not on my train. Got held at Port Glasgow 'cos the train coming off the single line was 27 minutes down after needing police assistance at inverkip.

Ended up 15 mins down at the worst. By the time I got to the bay, changed ends and pedalled the utter fuck out this poor bastard, I was only only 1 minute late back to Glasgow...

49998176231_51934b740e_o.jpg

Arrived in central at 0028. Full shut down with walk through, dumped bag in my locker and changed shoes, hire bike most of the way home. I was in the flat for 0048 and on my second gin by 0100

No.

11 mins down at Port Glasgow. Got the call to say they'd move me round to the last signal before the single line
15.5 mins down at Whinhill
12 mins down arr at Wemyss Bay
8 mins down dep The Bay
4 mins down at Port Glasgow
2 mins down at Paisley Gilmour St
1 min down at Central

I just horsed it's arse all the way. Brakes on it were outstanding. Was hitting platforms at 35 - 40mph and stopping no bother.

47 minutes ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Last train to Wemyss Bay tonight - 2236 off Glasgow. The joys*
Inverclyde young team were out in force but thankfully not on my train. Got held at Port Glasgow 'cos the train coming off the single line was 27 minutes down after needing police assistance at inverkip.

Ended up 15 mins down at the worst. By the time I got to the bay, changed ends and pedalled the utter fuck out this poor bastard, I was only only 1 minute late back to Glasgow...

49998176231_51934b740e_o.jpg

Arrived in central at 0028. Full shut down with walk through, dumped back in my locker and changed shoes, hire bike most of the way home. I was in the flat for 0048 and on my second gin by 0100

You need your own thread on this, 10/10 would subscribe. 

7 hours ago, davidfowler2000 said:

No.

11 mins down at Port Glasgow. Got the call to say they'd move me round to the last signal before the single line
15.5 mins down at Whinhill
12 mins down arr at Wemyss Bay
8 mins down dep The Bay
4 mins down at Port Glasgow
2 mins down at Paisley Gilmour St
1 min down at Central

I just horsed it's arse all the way. Brakes on it were outstanding. Was hitting platforms at 35 - 40mph and stopping no bother.

Having got the train to work for the last 20 years, this is the kind of journey I like.

Would also subscribe.