The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Easiest way to check whether it needs gas is to depress one of the Schrader valves in the system (using a screwdriver) and see if it goes PSSSSCHT or not.  If it doesn't, or if it only emits a feeble pffffff, then it needs gas.

top tip this one - i went out there between showers, located the regassing point, gave the value a couple of stabs, then it was empty, out of gas.

so i will give regassing a go to start with and see how we get on. thanks folks!

I was round to DFTR Automotive to have two new rear cylinders and a master cylinder changed.

I don't like doing brakes. Excellent service, as usual, and done for a good price. These guys, father

and son, are Mazda lickers but do other stuff as well. 

A couple of pics for the Mazda lovers.

DSC00907.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

And then there is an MGB. Can't say they float my boat probably coz there are still loads of them around.

This is somewhat different coz it's got a Mazda MX5 1.8 in it. The suspension set up cost 5 grand and the

owner has lashed out about 20 grand on it. So far. It was transported down from Northampton for the 

work to be done on it which the guys thought was because nobody nearer could or would do it. The owner

had to get an engine management thingy. I know nothing about electronic stuff. ECU ? Maybe ?

After spending A LOT on engine, suspension, etc, he bought a second hand unit for a 1.6 for £200.

The guys thought it might not work especially as you can get a unit that would for a couple of hundred more.

DSC00908.JPG

10 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

And then there is an MGB. Can't say they float my boat probably coz there are still loads of them around.

That's because they're good fun! Also now very much at the stage where the ones on the road at the moment have a high probability of surviving due to having value. Because of the good parts supply they make easy first restoration projects, so that helps save them too. 

Same as the other "standard" British classics like Spitfire/Midget/Minor/Mini/GT6/TR6/etc. 

22 hours ago, Spurious said:

Check your relay to engage the clutch of the Aircon compressor and the fuse before you go down the "it just needs a quick regass m8" route. 

Having never had a car with aircon but now acquired my b2500 pick up that is so full of doggy hair and oils it's not recommended to even turn the blowers on full blast, how does one check the relay and clutch on a 02 Mazda b2500 please? 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

That's because they're good fun! Also now very much at the stage where the ones on the road at the moment have a high probability of surviving due to having value. Because of the good parts supply they make easy first restoration projects, so that helps save them too. 

Same as the other "standard" British classics like Spitfire/Midget/Minor/Mini/GT6/TR6/etc. 

I get that they are a good entry into classic car ownership, the same as a Minor and mini, and good parts

supply helps any classic make but, sorry, not my thing. Would like a TR6 though.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Having never had a car with aircon but now acquired my b2500 pick up that is so full of doggy hair and oils it's not recommended to even turn the blowers on full blast, how does one check the relay and clutch on a 02 Mazda b2500 please? 

Should hear the clutch click when you engage the AC.  It's so the compressor isn't always engaged and the compressor pulley can effectively freewheel when you're not using it.  If you hear it clicking when you push the A/C straight away chances are the Fuse/Relay and the compressor clutch are probably okay and then you're looking at leaks in the system if it's not cold.  Or it just needs a gas cos of it's age. If it's not clicking, out with the multimeter and see if your fuses and relays are providing power to the compressor. Or it's the AC compressor that's broke then anyway

EDIT:

This explains it better

10 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Came across this for sale today while walking back to the car. No price and by the state of the tyres it’s not been anywhere in a while .

BC26836F-E8A3-4B6E-ADF2-FBD6321AE071.thumb.jpeg.ee08c9cadfec03ff361936c86b89990a.jpeg

Do ya reckon someone's wife has said "you need to get rid of that thing, you said you would sell it" and it's his half arsed attempt of putting it up for sale with a bit of card in the window...

Drove up to a country hotel in Wales to meet my parents yesterday. Back home via @Six-cylinder, and 450miles.

Mine was the oldest car, next was a T reg C class merc with rusty doors owned by quite an elderly couple. He ordered a very expensive bottle of Bordeaux for dinner that could well have cost more than the car!

1D858629-E599-4A5B-9005-A04C66B5C3EB.jpeg

Feeling slightly guilty that the Capri hasn't seen much attention lately. This is a mixture of being so busy during lockdown, moving house, and the current lockup being 15 minutes walk from the new flat.  I've also been distracted with the daily contingent of the fleet needing work, which has kept the spanner-time busy, and lack of any shows or meets to aim for.

Anyway, the dash needs to come out again to sort out the brake/oil pressure warning lights - there's one with a dodgy connection, going to try loading a bit of solder onto the tabs to improve the connection. And swap over the radio. Plus, I have a set of fresh water hoses ready to go on, and I should check the fuel lines at the tank end if there's any rubber there (front done a year or so ago).

I also have a couple of bits of paintwork to sort out. The A pillars and sills will need proper attention at some point - they're ok, but are starting to show signs of rust bubbling through. I'm hoping to do this next year, having put aside enough cash to get a proper job done.

And I should put back the rear wiper arm that I took off briefly... In February. 

IMG_20200712_111815.jpg

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Drove up to a country hotel in Wales to meet my parents yesterday. Back home via @Six-cylinder, and 450miles.

Mine was the oldest car, next was a T reg C class merc with rusty doors owned by quite an elderly couple. He ordered a very expensive bottle of Bordeaux for dinner that could well have cost more than the car!

1D858629-E599-4A5B-9005-A04C66B5C3EB.jpeg

Yours definitely has the most class. What’s the sticker on the rear window?

On 8/11/2020 at 6:46 AM, Volksy said:

Visiting Mother Volksy today, she had found some letters I'd sent her from back when I lived in NZ. 

In amongst them was a photo of the old CF I had out there. 

It was a 1969 locally built (CKD), 

It's pretty much eddyramrods ideal spec.. 

Holden 3.3 straight six, with auto transmission. 

Bought to look more local than getting a rental, it gave pretty good service for the year we were there. This was 23 years ago, so can't see it having survived! 

DSC_1317.thumb.JPG.5e3a7061300642394d4406568508c7d6.JPG

It seems you might have killed it ……..   https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=sl2715

1 minute ago, paulplom said:

My son has just turned 15. I'm looking forward to this carry on in two years time.

Crack on!

I was driving around in a SIII Land Rover at 15! I did grow up on a farm, mind. Plenty of space to do that without going anywhere near a public highway.

Good thinking.

I'm going to try and sneak him on the next Teeside trackday. Passengers aee meant to be 16 plus but I think he'll pass for older. He's already taller than me ffs.

He's mad keen on cars as it is.

There's a massive empty car park near where we live...

On 8/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, puddlethumper said:

And then this, probably kit, Moke that hippies in a bus drag around on the back. Nice drawbar.

DSC00912.JPG

I think that is probably one of the later Aussie or Portuguese Mokes. I always wanted a Moke until I had one, if you think an ADO16 is a rot box buy a UK Moke. 

post-3477-0-94027300-1383065539.jpg

And if you think that doesn't look too bad, you're right. The rest of it was a lot worse, I think the rear subframe was mostly held on by the brake pipes and handbrake cables

20 hours ago, N19 said:

Feeling slightly guilty that the Capri hasn't seen much attention lately. This is a mixture of being so busy during lockdown, moving house, and the current lockup being 15 minutes walk from the new flat.  I've also been distracted with the daily contingent of the fleet needing work, which has kept the spanner-time busy, and lack of any shows or meets to aim for.

Anyway, the dash needs to come out again to sort out the brake/oil pressure warning lights - there's one with a dodgy connection, going to try loading a bit of solder onto the tabs to improve the connection. And swap over the radio. Plus, I have a set of fresh water hoses ready to go on, and I should check the fuel lines at the tank end if there's any rubber there (front done a year or so ago).

I also have a couple of bits of paintwork to sort out. The A pillars and sills will need proper attention at some point - they're ok, but are starting to show signs of rust bubbling through. I'm hoping to do this next year, having put aside enough cash to get a proper job done.

And I should put back the rear wiper arm that I took off briefly... In February. 

IMG_20200712_111815.jpg

Fabulous.

My first car was a 1.6 L, V reg. Mine was in pale metallic blue.

Just realised that's 30 years ago now !!

28 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Fabulous.

My first car was a 1.6 L, V reg. Mine was in pale metallic blue.

Just realised that's 30 years ago now !!

Lower spec models are pretty rare now, they were unsexy in the 90s so tended to get scrapped or modded etc. 

Oh, also need to fix the HRW which is not on, but I think that may be the switch having fallen out. 

Decided to give the Mondeo the promised service. Air filter and spark plugs done in record time, very accessible. 

IMG_20200815_183538.thumb.jpg.6d5ed3bc635606b1530fbea7cf37562b.jpg

HT leads, again, done in a jiffy. 

Now the oil. One of those clicking ratchet caps, only it seems stuck... SNAP oh. Now a headless filler cap. Managed to persuade it to unscrew, but isn't sealed so can't go far. Ten minutes after Midnight Motors has closed, because Saturday. 

IMG_20200815_191012.thumb.jpg.d94a006dcf04bd9a13d4bab3398b9d5d.jpgGreat! 

No worries though, I could nip in the Bluebird tomorrow morning to pick up a new filler cap. Won't have time to actually change the oil before needing to go out but at least it'll be ready for one evening during the week. Bluebird proceeds to turn over slowly and not fire up, only emitting the odd clunk every so often. Bugger. 

So the current plan is to drive down to the lockup with the Mondeo, mashed up cap in situ (3 minute drive that time of a Sunday), then take the Capri up to Midnight Motors for when they open, obtain filler cap, bring back, go to work. That will at least leave me with one daily working. 

Or I could see if the Bluebird filler cap fits the Mondeo, which is obscure and possibly unlikely.

Worst case scenario, the Capri can get me to work fine...

The joys of ownership of old cars! 

10 minutes ago, N19 said:

Lower spec models are pretty rare now, they were unsexy in the 90s so tended to get scrapped or modded etc. 

Oh, also need to fix the HRW which is not on, but I think that may be the switch having fallen out. 

Except on here it seems! Three 1.6L’s not sure if we have any others of other types.