The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 8/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, davidfowler2000 said:

I did a dreary long winded review and posted it in my 205 thread...

https://autoshite.com/topic/39413-further-svm-non-volvo-shennanigans-a-diary-svm-assist-feat-hedgehog-motors/?do=findComment&comment=2092958

My one with the 4AH battery is enough to easily do two or three cars from buckets of water. Usually 20L is enough to do a decent wash on one car. Running from a tap, I can easily chew through a full charge doing one deep clean on a single car.

Also a quick use test...

I'm very impressed with it. Not quite a bucket full for the mx5. 

Do you have a link for the 4ah battery?

20200808_150936.jpg

20 hours ago, captain_cal said:

Whoa haven't been here for ages, duff laptop put paid to that. What news have I got? Well someone hit my car, again.

Didn't catch the bastard in the act but got it on CCTV. Any guesses on how much a new front wing is (through insurance)?

IMG_8355.JPG

Sorry to hear about the bump! The price that was quoted doesn’t surprise as I would imagine they would factor in all adjoining panels to avoid a colour mismatch and soon the labour mounts up. Terrible colour for that, but suits the car well!

Having a family getaway... just a couple of days away. The debate was begun as to which car we should take... Mrs_b backing taking her modern... as it’s the “most reliable”

A mild smug sense of satisfaction then when it threw up the EML the night before we’re due to leave.... ?

So the 9000 got the nodspacer.png... 

4114CD8D-0897-4B12-A34C-701F2E68C987.jpeg
Shite FTW

a fleet update time - 

Lexus - still working fine, bar the air con. and still for sale!

in fact its  constant working has now become a pain in the arse so  much so that i'm sick of  it,kerry is sick of it and its now sorned on the drive. £500 will buy it too......

Rover - MOT time, its had tyres and new drop links all round, and its failed the MOT.

with a number of fails, shagged out hand brake, cloudy headlamps and other things. the worse fail been that the o/s front wheel has either a shagged out ball joint, or,like last time the second hand hub it got 2 years ago has worn again such that the pinch bolt no longer pinches on the ball joint.  fucking piece of shit. well another second hand hub has been obtained, along with another arm. i am throwing good money after bad, but don't really have then money for another car or the inclination. we have been looking, and it seems that there is alot of worn out shit about currently.

Orange mini - still in the garage, still needs donuts,knuckle joints  and tyres. still can sit where it is cos the other  shitboxes are taking our attention. and i cannot really be arsed.

Metro - still in the garage,still got very low o/s/f suspension most likely cos that displacer has failed internally,and i cannot be arsed with it. should just sell it and have done. but i have taken the seemingly flat battery off to charge it up. or at least see it it will charge up. how a battery that is not fastened to either of the electric terminals can actually go flat without been fucked then i dunno!

Black mini - been using it. indicators have fucked up on it again. they are just coming on and not flashing, or, flashing briefly before stopping on constantly. its either a fucked relay  or a bad earth or something else completely different. its years in a shed have made the wiring a mess, well the mice chewing on the wiring has made it amess. and i hate anything todo with electric, cos its all "magic" well i have ordered what has been sold as a NOS Unipart flasher,so we will see if that works.or not. i'm betting it wont.....

so working cars, not many.

shite car mojo,low and fading fast.........

7 hours ago, paulplom said:

I'm very impressed with it. Not quite a bucket full for the mx5. 

Do you have a link for the 4ah battery?

20200808_150936.jpg

I can make that big 20L jug featured in the video last a whole Volvo but when I've got it connected to a tap and not having to worry about water conservation I just let rip with it hence how I can go through a whole battery charge.  As for the 4AH battery, just search worx 4ah on amazon or ebay

Got back from Devon this afternoon. Covered 1355 miles in two weeks. According to the computer average consumption for the vectra was just over 40 mpg - not great,however it is an estate with an autobox - there are lots of hills in south devon along with lots of traffic jams.

Tomorrow I need to find out why the fuel filter housing is leaking.

Had a reasonably productive day of fettling.  I didn't manage to get everything done that I wanted to as some of the bits I ordered off eBay haven't arrived yet, but I got the replacement driver's seatbelt fitted to the V70.  That wasn't too bad of a job once I'd worked out how everything went together - the HBOL had Step 1 as "Remove driver's seat", but that turned out to be completely unnecessary, the book once again living up to its name (the manual for this car seems to be even more misleading than the norm for some reason).  I initially thought I'd been sold a duff belt as it didn't seem to want to unreel, but it seems that it's just very sensitive to mounting angle, as once it was bolted onto the B pillar it pulled out with no problem.  Battery earth was reconnected without anything exploding or any ECUs shitting themselves, which was good.  I've now got to ring the garage on Monday morning and book it in for a retest.

The other job on today's list was to jack up the CR-V and see if I could find out what the annoying rattling noise from the nearside front is.  Took a while to get the car jacked up - my trolley jack wouldn't go high enough, and I had to have several goes with the car's own scissor jack as the side steps are in the way of the jacking points.  Got the wheel off and soon found the cause - it's the brake caliper, there's loads of play in the guide pins so the caliper is rattling around.  That'd also explain why it stops making the noise under braking.  I'm going to buy a new set of guide pins first to see if that fixes it as they're pretty cheap - I'm hoping that it won't be the holes in the caliper itself which have got bigger.  There is also an occasional knock from the offside front over bigger bumps - I'm going to replace both drop links and see if that cures it as they don't look particularly recent and again, they're cheap.  Replacing fuses got the sunroof and rear fogs working again - the aircon doesn't seem to do much though (I can't hear the compressor kicking in), and the airbag light is on with my Delphi kit unable to find a fault code, so not sure what's going on there.  Overall it's still a nice thing to drive with pretty car-like handling, although with black leather seats it could do with working aircon.

The remainder of today's fettling time was spent fixing bicycles.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:43 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Almost there. Remanufactured starter motor to be tried....

20200807_095859.jpg

20200807_095817.jpg

I saw these as a child and was awed by their futuristic design.

Later in life I was horribly disappointed to discover they weren't running nuclear or turbines to propel then down the street. They look like they should.

Hence, remove engine and install thermonuclear propulsion unit to save on having to fix the starter motor.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, captain_cal said:

... someone hit my car, again.

Didn't catch the bastard in the act but got it on CCTV. Any guesses on how much a new front wing is (through insurance)?

IMG_8355.JPG

I wonder if that's the result of yet another SUV driver blissfully unaware of the actual outer limits of his/her bloatmobile while attempting 3*-point turn.

What has CCTV shown so far?

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

What has CCTV shown so far?

5am, nobody else around, acres of room, the local dairy van pulled into the space in front of me to drop something off and collected my front on his way past. 

A cursory glance, no note, no apology, fuck all. Hopefully his employers get wind of the cost of fixing it and sack the dishonest cunt.

Gave the vectra a blitz inside and out - it was filthy from our holiday.20200809_154041.thumb.jpg.7c36e3a69d81991311d6cbf7f9bc4256.jpg

20200809_154205.thumb.jpg.0ba1f9569bcd1c67084e6b3127f3274a.jpg

the fuel filter was leaking due to the locking ring not being done up tight enough.

20200809_154143.thumb.jpg.0102fdda4e2326ae946a4fdef9618b3b.jpg

I took it off and stripped it down. I used my chain wrench to tighten it up but it was not enough - I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver to knock the ring tighter. You also need a vice to clamp the housing. You can buy the correct tool but it costs around £80. No thanks.

Finally got round to wiring in the Parrot mki9200 Bluetooth streaming kit today to the Subaru. Bought the sot lead prior and honestly was actually so easy to do. Bought the kit second hand so need to get some double sided pads to stick the screen and controller but all working perfectly. Wired in my dashcam too, all nice and neatly. Really pleased.

IMG_20200809_173948.jpg

IMG_20200809_183827.jpg

Went to Glastonbury today as it always amuses me how hippy it is. Took the Boxster as nice weather and wanted the roof down. Did consider the MGB but this is where I should have got one with a Webasto, as I always moan about...
IMG_20200809_154016.thumb.jpg.ce8cec56a9af0c125fe9384f9a621f6e.jpg

Talking about the MGB...

After the success of the 1100, I decided to pull out the MG as I haven't used it in quite a while. Quite unexpected how easily she started! Running really well too. 

Can you buy Webasto roof kits still? Maybe I should get one fitted and solve the one bugbear. 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, stuboy said:

Took stuboy junior to pick up some wheel trims new of Facebook,  then back home after tesco i fitted the trim and cabled tied them on for security and then stuboy junior,stuboy junior 2nd and future mrs stuboy set about cleaning the corsa thats hd named Sacha, no idea why..

20200808_152827.jpg

20200808_152635.jpg

20200808_153654.jpg

20200808_153643.jpg

20200808_152621.jpg

20200808_152502.jpg

20200808_151922.jpg

20200808_151847.jpg

20200808_151856.jpg

frisbee trims and paint steels daft colour just for giggles

ps dress really suits you :P :D

On 8/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, Frogchod said:

I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm guessing these brake lines should not get hot when operating the starter motor.

20200808_180825.thumb.jpg.69d24c3cafb983e7b55d4b0c164dc73e.jpg

Bad earth methinks.

a man that deals with wires is worried about wires?

no problem pour vous

14 minutes ago, SiC said:

Went to Glastonbury today as it always amuses me how hippy it is. Took the Boxster as nice weather and wanted the roof down. Did consider the MGB but this is where I should have got one with a Webasto, as I always moan about...
IMG_20200809_154016.thumb.jpg.ce8cec56a9af0c125fe9384f9a621f6e.jpg

Talking about the MGB...

After the success of the 1100, I decided to pull out the MG as I haven't used it in quite a while. Quite unexpected how easily she started! Running really well too. 

Can you buy Webasto roof kits still? Maybe I should get one fitted and solve the one bugbear. 

NLA I think, unless someone new has bought out the rights; IIRC they just do refurbs and spares now.

I had a nice day bumbling about in the Audi today with the top down. It's been sat for about 3 weeks in my garage mainly due to me driving about in the newly resurrected Corsa.

I went to collect some tree loppers in the morning and then went for a run with my wife and son. I was dragged into IKEA but the nice drive was worth it and my son loved going under the short tunnel at Charing Cross as the roof was still down.

I'm a bit crispy now though!

Weekend in my sisters bubble in oxford. Back now and sitting outside with a cold drink watching the pink sunset. Managed to sell their 56 reg Renault scenic for them in about 5mins of sending photos to my mechanic friend. At which point my 8yr old niece burst into tears and said she loved the car and didn’t want it to go- she’s not known another car to be in!

18908189-C303-4B12-9E1E-B733A1BB19B3.jpeg

4 hours ago, Bren said:

Gave the vectra a blitz inside and out - it was filthy from our holiday.20200809_154041.thumb.jpg.7c36e3a69d81991311d6cbf7f9bc4256.jpg

20200809_154205.thumb.jpg.0ba1f9569bcd1c67084e6b3127f3274a.jpg

the fuel filter was leaking due to the locking ring not being done up tight enough.

20200809_154143.thumb.jpg.0102fdda4e2326ae946a4fdef9618b3b.jpg

I took it off and stripped it down. I used my chain wrench to tighten it up but it was not enough - I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver to knock the ring tighter. You also need a vice to clamp the housing. You can buy the correct tool but it costs around £80. No thanks.

Use one of these on mine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-FUEL-FILTER-REMOVAL-TOOLS-for-Vauxhall-Zafira-Vectra-Meriva-Corsa-Agila/262107397598?epid=25017007435&hash=item3d06d17dde:g:UNwAAOSwTpleI4n6 

For £15 it saves damaging the ridges on the ring with a screwdriver and hammer.

Went for a pleasant bike ride up to Walcott this afternoon - enjoyable despite the amount of traffic on the road.  On the way into the village there was an old dear out in her garden celebrating her 100th birthday with her family.  Beach was as rammed as you'd expect on a day like this, but I wasn't intending to sunbathe anyway.  Quite a few interesting old motors out and about - I got overtaken by a couple of old Yanks and a black MGA, and when I was nearly home a 3 litre Bentley came rumbling past, which was nice to see.

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Went for a pleasant bike ride up to Walcott this afternoon - enjoyable despite the amount of traffic on the road.  On the way into the village there was an old dear out in her garden celebrating her 100th birthday with her family.  Beach was as rammed as you'd expect on a day like this, but I wasn't intending to sunbathe anyway.  Quite a few interesting old motors out and about - I got overtaken by a couple of old Yanks and a black MGA, and when I was nearly home a 3 litre Bentley came rumbling past, which was nice to see.

I didn’t spot anything interesting this weekend -my ‘94 merc was the oldest thing on the road in 110 miles.