The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 8/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, paulplom said:

Better than your standard hose then?

I think I'll get one.

I did a dreary long winded review and posted it in my 205 thread...

https://autoshite.com/topic/39413-further-svm-non-volvo-shennanigans-a-diary-svm-assist-feat-hedgehog-motors/?do=findComment&comment=2092958

My one with the 4AH battery is enough to easily do two or three cars from buckets of water. Usually 20L is enough to do a decent wash on one car. Running from a tap, I can easily chew through a full charge doing one deep clean on a single car.

Also a quick use test...

Popped to the supermarket in the next town today and took the back road. In doing so, I remembered there was a publicly accessible muddy little bank I could traverse my 4WD Yaris AWD Vitz, if I took a slight detour.

50198916507_698cdb661b_o.jpg

Wanted to make sure it was in good fettle to get me up to the ski field next week. Those muddy streaks represent my successful previous traverse, which doesn't look too impressive but was steep enough to cause me doubts. There was a little front wheel traction loss but the rear wheels helped it stop slipping back from where it came from. Had there not been a house across the road, I'd have done a few more passes and made a quick video.

I'd love to test its capabilities further but it makes me wonder how people with proper 4x4s hold off the urge to test out where they can take it, at every possible opportunity? Sort of like the boyish enthusiasm of me driving Mrs_Jon's Clio 172 like a tool.

17 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'd love to test its capabilities further but it makes me wonder how people with proper 4x4s hold off the urge to test out where they can take it, at every possible opportunity? Sort of like the boyish enthusiasm of me driving Mrs_Jon's Clio 172 like a tool.

They don't!

Or I didn't, every "Unmetalled Road" sign in East Devon has Subaru skid marks near it as me and the girls stopped, reversed and shouted "Let's OFF ROAD" and went exploring!

On 8/6/2020 at 2:37 PM, davehedgehog31 said:

Yeah, it's certainly a fair bit better. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3379343

That's the one I have, I got it for £80 with the attachments etc, it may appear on sale again.

@davidfowler2000 has the Worx equivalent too.

Amazon just delivered. I'll charge it overnight and have a go tomorrow if I ever finish the roll bar.

20200807_154804.jpg

2 hours ago, nomiST said:

They don't!

Or I didn't, every "Unmetalled Road" sign in East Devon has Subaru skid marks near it as me and the girls stopped, reversed and shouted "Let's OFF ROAD" and went exploring!

Where do you find them?  I'm in North Devon, I'd like to have a crack at some mild offroading to see if my Granvia 4x4 is as capable as I've been told but have no idea what's fair game or likely to get me in trouble either with cross walkers or getting stuck.

1 hour ago, phil_lihp said:

Where do you find them?  I'm in North Devon, I'd like to have a crack at some mild offroading to see if my Granvia 4x4 is as capable as I've been told but have no idea what's fair game or likely to get me in trouble either with cross walkers or getting stuck.

I was a member of the Trail Riders Federation who will give members a map of unmetalled roads and byways and whatnot that are legal for vehicles but otherwise I just drive past them and spot the fingerposts when out and about.  There's loads around here, the sign is quite small but when you've spotted one you'll see them everywhere. Devon and the local TRF work quite well together, DCC have almost entirely handed maintenance over to them, at least here in the east.

Another option is to examine the OS maps, BOATs are marked with a -+-+-+, RUPPs as a _._.._ Don't use bridleways or footpaths (obviously!) and have fun!

205 failed on a pair of front headlamps. Apparently lining them with bacofoil doesn't produce an acceptable beam pattern. 

New ones will be here early next week then it will be back on the road. The drive to the test centre and back just reminded me of how glorious it is.

IMG_20200807_134300117.thumb.jpg.dba4840813dd46e77d40d031f6335c91.jpg

1 hour ago, captain_cal said:

Whoa haven't been here for ages, duff laptop put paid to that. What news have I got? Well someone hit my car, again.

Didn't catch the bastard in the act but got it on CCTV. Any guesses on how much a new front wing is (through insurance)?

IMG_8355.JPG

£974 ?

1 hour ago, captain_cal said:

Whoa haven't been here for ages, duff laptop put paid to that. What news have I got? Well someone hit my car, again.

Didn't catch the bastard in the act but got it on CCTV. Any guesses on how much a new front wing is (through insurance)?

IMG_8355.JPG

With paint and fitting around £2k wouldn’t be out of the question. Metallics can be hard to match so you need a decent place. 

£1698, not including paint + fitting. Direct from Porsche in Germany (they have seven in stock!!!).

I let out an involuntary "fuck off!" when the guy from the body shop told me, to which he cheerfully replied "that's what I said too!" ?

6 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Metallics can be hard to match so you need a decent place. 

Fortunately they still have paint left over from the last time they sprayed it (eight months ago) ?

3 hours ago, nomiST said:

I was a member of the Trail Riders Federation who will give members a map of unmetalled roads and byways and whatnot that are legal for vehicles but otherwise I just drive past them and spot the fingerposts when out and about.  There's loads around here, the sign is quite small but when you've spotted one you'll see them everywhere. Devon and the local TRF work quite well together, DCC have almost entirely handed maintenance over to them, at least here in the east.

Another option is to examine the OS maps, BOATs are marked with a -+-+-+, RUPPs as a _._.._ Don't use bridleways or footpaths (obviously!) and have fun!

Cheers, I'll take a look!  As it happens I've just ordered a local OS map.

According to the insurance the yellow 2CV is supposed to be garaged overnight... 

With the green one not continent it’s been in the garage and the yellow one outside, and so I wondered to myself... can I fit the 2 2CVs and the Yugo in the garage?

65F55C65-5D5F-48F8-A126-B354555B1E5C.jpeg

Yup... 

Just. 

On 8/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, New POD said:

I should like to thank @omegod and @MikeR 

Mike has been helping me, trying to get my omega restarted after too many months sitting in lockdown. 

With his help, and his logical reasoning, we ended up deciding that it must be what everyone said it would be, and therefore probably the crank sensor. 

Omegod, breaks omegas, for fun I think, and his mate Tony, lives up the road, and had a bag of parts from Omegod.  There was no crank sensor in the bag. 

I messaged Omegod, to let him know, and within the hour, he'd arrived from about 20 miles down the M57, with a small bag of tools, and within 35 minutes, had jacked up the bastard thing, and fitted a second hand sensor. It started first time of asking. 

I think my relief was very evident, by the fact that my smile is now so wide that it's hurting my face. 

No pictures, because....

Next on the cards new exhaust and battery. 

20200807_170817.thumb.jpg.e3c19719491a8bfa9b023e91d3dc9691.jpg

Moved omega to my "lawn" .  Attached battery charger.  I'm sure I'll need a new battery, but I had it on charge all afternoon, and it had 12.5 V showing by tea time.  Will reattach it tomorrow, and see what it gets to. And whether it held any charge overnight. 

Note the rear wheels are on our land, but the rest of the boot is overhanging next doors "wild flower meadow" 

Week 1 of Clio ownership nearly complete. Rather surprisingly, my eldest son doesn’t like it at all; complaining it’s not old enough to be cool but not new enough to be acceptable. I explained that all classics have to come through this awkward time (like puberty for motor cars) and its time will come to shine. He still hates it so I’ve told him it’ll be his first car next year. That shut him up. 

Managed to get plugs and filters from ECP for £10.30 so a service is imminent. Belt required too so investigating that, and the exhaust hasn’t enjoyed being used and now has a blow. Sounds fab though!

Reason for the post on here? After 5 days it was papped by a prolific car spotter and added to Flickr. The Clio has managed 24 years of anonymity in Leicestershire but 5 days here!! Thanks to everyone who tipped me off!

55E5BC3D-8B0B-4CB1-9023-6EDB178C4DF3.jpeg.2bb39bbb7031a04fd2da1033748f947b.jpeg