The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

31 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Are those battery jet wash things any good? Do they work off mains water?

It's nothing like a 240v pressure washer, but I've certainly found it really useful.  It's far better than I expected.

You can run it off a mains hose, the unit itself has a standard hose fitting on it. 

Running off the water drum the pressure is somewhere between a garden hose with a spray gun and a proper pressure washer. The spread is quite narrow on the pressure setting, but I've managed to clean a couple of pretty grotty cars with it, just takes a wee bit more patience than a big boy pressure washer but very doable. 

With someone coming to view the BX tonight I decided to take it out for a few miles just to make sure it was okay.  Obviously it's gone and fixed itself now and I couldn't get it to stall at idle or misbehave in any way.  It'll've done it out of spite.

26 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

With someone coming to view the BX tonight I decided to take it out for a few miles just to make sure it was okay.  Obviously it's gone and fixed itself now and I couldn't get it to stall at idle or misbehave in any way.  It'll've done it out of spite.

Always the way, the bugger will be thinking i'll fucking show him. Lol

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

Better than your standard hose then?

I think I'll get one.

Yeah, it's certainly a fair bit better. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3379343

That's the one I have, I got it for £80 with the attachments etc, it may appear on sale again.

@davidfowler2000 has the Worx equivalent too.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Do not count chickens before they're eggs. My Series 1 Land Rover only ever let me down when it was being sold. It ran fine when test driven, but would not run when the bloke came to collect, I ended up giving the bloke his money back. The next time it ran fine, bloke left a deposit, but weeks later couldn't come up with the rest of the money, I gave his deposit back.

I was selling because I was moving, it ended up moving with me, I had to take the roof and hood sticks off to get it in my garage. I eventually sold it to my vet, the day he picked it up the exhaust broke off at the manifold. (Thankfully he still bought it)

For some weird reason driving stops my stomach hurting so I took the Corsa for a run tonight.

This was a nearby train station car park that I used to use. As most people who use the train to get to work have been working from home since March, the weeds had grown tall through the monoblock surface almost everywhere, giving the place a more dystopian feel than the area already has.

IMG_20200806_183351.jpg

IMG_20200806_183331.jpg

Garage move and sort out continues slowly. The Mondeo is proving an awfully useful big estate load lugger, got these shelving units moved today, and the matting was picked up for free on freecycle. It's only foam so won't last forever, but it'll be helpful when kneeling on the floor trying to do some cow of a job. Next job is to unpack the boxes of oil and various sprays, then tools etc. Hopefully that'll be me having a decent useable workspace again. 

IMG_20200806_190310.jpg

202008-02.thumb.jpg.a8453d0c9e195f0edd67386ca1c4bc67.jpg

BX off to its new home.  It's been an adventure. I'm a little sad to see it go, but not too sad.  I've certainly enjoyed my time with it and I hope it makes the next owner just as happy as they were today setting off into the dark with it tonight.

4 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

BX off to its new home.  It's been an adventure. I'm a little sad to see it go, but not too sad.  I've certainly enjoyed my time with it and I hope it makes the next owner just as happy as they were today setting off into the dark with it tonight.

fellow shiter?

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

It's sold now.  Behaved itself on the test drive.  It's off to another shiter, who can out themselves if they fancy.  I guess it just wanted to go and play with someone else.

?

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

IMG_20200806_183351.jpg

Ooooosh. That makes my trousers tight.

57 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

It drove lovely on the short drive home - I really look forward to getting to know the car. An absolute pleasure to meet you both.

A working party was convened featuring @davidfowler2000 and @captain_70s to effect final preparations of the 205 for MOT tomorrow. 

There was a fine lineup of scrap metal;

Screenshot_20200806-231355.png.c13b6ab2cfe18c9d562160f23e3e4291.png

I caught a young man fiddling with brake adjusters

Screenshot_20200806-231445.png.3e6d588fc2388d2d651017d174bfe06e.png

A rationalisation of the shite cluttering the back was undertaken and the Hedgehog patented boot divider system implemented;

Screenshot_20200806-231331.png.aa03192c561645e473ce002618d9f048.png

The Captain also left with a typewriter from the loot in the back of the 205.

I should like to thank @omegod and @MikeR 

Mike has been helping me, trying to get my omega restarted after too many months sitting in lockdown. 

With his help, and his logical reasoning, we ended up deciding that it must be what everyone said it would be, and therefore probably the crank sensor. 

Omegod, breaks omegas, for fun I think, and his mate Tony, lives up the road, and had a bag of parts from Omegod.  There was no crank sensor in the bag. 

I messaged Omegod, to let him know, and within the hour, he'd arrived from about 20 miles down the M57, with a small bag of tools, and within 35 minutes, had jacked up the bastard thing, and fitted a second hand sensor. It started first time of asking. 

I think my relief was very evident, by the fact that my smile is now so wide that it's hurting my face. 

No pictures, because....

Next on the cards new exhaust and battery. 

On 8/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, paulplom said:

Better than your standard hose then?

I think I'll get one.

I did a dreary long winded review and posted it in my 205 thread...

https://autoshite.com/topic/39413-further-svm-non-volvo-shennanigans-a-diary-svm-assist-feat-hedgehog-motors/?do=findComment&comment=2092958

My one with the 4AH battery is enough to easily do two or three cars from buckets of water. Usually 20L is enough to do a decent wash on one car. Running from a tap, I can easily chew through a full charge doing one deep clean on a single car.

Also a quick use test...

Popped to the supermarket in the next town today and took the back road. In doing so, I remembered there was a publicly accessible muddy little bank I could traverse my 4WD Yaris AWD Vitz, if I took a slight detour.

50198916507_698cdb661b_o.jpg

Wanted to make sure it was in good fettle to get me up to the ski field next week. Those muddy streaks represent my successful previous traverse, which doesn't look too impressive but was steep enough to cause me doubts. There was a little front wheel traction loss but the rear wheels helped it stop slipping back from where it came from. Had there not been a house across the road, I'd have done a few more passes and made a quick video.

I'd love to test its capabilities further but it makes me wonder how people with proper 4x4s hold off the urge to test out where they can take it, at every possible opportunity? Sort of like the boyish enthusiasm of me driving Mrs_Jon's Clio 172 like a tool.

17 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'd love to test its capabilities further but it makes me wonder how people with proper 4x4s hold off the urge to test out where they can take it, at every possible opportunity? Sort of like the boyish enthusiasm of me driving Mrs_Jon's Clio 172 like a tool.

They don't!

Or I didn't, every "Unmetalled Road" sign in East Devon has Subaru skid marks near it as me and the girls stopped, reversed and shouted "Let's OFF ROAD" and went exploring!