The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

17 hours ago, richardmorris said:

.... Citroen deliberately destroying stocks of spare parts. ....

5 hours ago, Frogchod said:

Didn't know about Citroen being dicks with parts ....

It used to be said that Citroen had a particularly Stalinist view of their own history, and apart from the Great GS Birotor Buyback (i.e. let's pretend the car never happened), there are stories of SM V6 engines being destroyed by chucking them out from a great height.

Holy shit, the Navara gave me a proper scare today. Coming into the town I work in there's a roundabout. When I went on the brakes as I was approaching the roundabout, the ABS went crazy and would engage even on very light pedal pressure. That meant the pedal would start kicking back immediatelly and I had pretty much no actual brakes. Good thing I wasn't going that fast anymore at that point and I managed to use engine braking to slow down enough to not just barge onto the roundabout. As I was coming off the roundabout the ABS light came on and the system disconnected, which meant I now had brakes again.

Thinking about it, I'm really really glad the failure didn't happen just 1 braking attempt earlier, because if it had I would have likely overshot a motorway exit ramp where I was having to slow down from 140 kph to around 60. Terrifying.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Popping this in here for max traffic. Soz. 

What do you reckon this is dangling under the Mk1 Clio? 

8C9DB442-6C05-4A27-8360-A74E38A837BD.thumb.jpeg.9ca8ca0163d940881afbd4495cccd203.jpeg

In this pic it’s right in front of the rear tyre.

Will try to get the car up in the air tonight but just wondered what you thought?

Spare wheel should be under there iirc,so I'm going with the strap and bracket the missing cage should hang from

Do I win a prize?

12 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It’s actually a sort of spring screwed to the undercarriage - I think it’s to support the exhaust. I’ve deleted it! 

Is it part of the connection for the brake load adjusting valve?  My Kangoo has something similar.

Done a collection today.

20200804_141427.thumb.jpg.cdd40d46acf414813bfc81f4b3fc3afd.jpg

2 litre pez auto flavour, which is a Xantia combo I've been meaning to try for a while.  I did actually need something else too for a variety of reasons, which adds a certain pressure to the situation.  But thankfully it's turned out to be a bloody nice car.

Deceased giffer owner who spent £980 on it last year, and £1,400 in 2018, so he clearly loved it.  Shame it's in doom blue mind, but you can't have everything.

It's the first time I've used the trains since March, and it involved a trip through central London.  Gave me palpatations for the first leg as it was too much like my old commute, but otherwise it was alright.  The general public were irritating, but no change there!

6 hours ago, Ghosty said:

From first hand experience, I completely understand that reaction. 

I used to work in South Ken, when going to meet friends in West London a while ago I had to actively stop myself from getting off the tube there - it becomes ingrained into your brain!

Impromptu fleet photo of the shared dailies. 

Bluebird is now behaving after a bit of brake TLC (new discs, pads, lines renewed and new rear cylinders). It does need an oil change and some waxoyl top ups, and the passenger window doesn't move, which I think is because I forgot to reconnect it when I had the door card off. There's also broken plastic grommets which hold the front trim on at the sides, hence the gaffer tape. And somewhere are the trims I removed in February and put to one side... 

Mondeo has been here for just over a month and in that time has had a new cambelt, rocker cover gasket, aux belt, and thermostat housing. Fingers crossed that lot should see it behaving reliably for a while. The insurance is due in September and I'm very skint short term, so I'm going to SORN for the month and use that to attack the other little jobs that need doing on it - new tyres on the original wheels, flog off the temporary ones, deal with some rust in the spare wheel well, fit the stash of service parts currently on my dining table, and periodic gaffer tape renewal. If I'm feeling plush, it might even get a wash... 

The Capri therefore is probably feeling quite neglected, but it's performing well on sunny weekends and is probably happier for not being used in semi-daily service anymore. It's due an MoT next week so we'll see how it goes... 

IMG_20200805_111803.jpg

So the 205 has been languishing MOT-less from February thanks to a cracked windscreen. 

IMG_20200731_103620710.thumb.jpg.1086fbcad4b010dd5279954a65572489.jpg

Seeking a replacement I sent a few messages and found another place for the c**t list in the process;

https://www.ds-windscreens.co.uk/

Phoned on Thursday, very keenly arranged to do it on Friday. Waited home all day, a no show. Phoned  them at 4pm, gave me some rubbish about ordering it "a few days ago", despite the fact the first contact was 26 hours previous... Anyway, gave him the benefit of the doubt as he said he'd be out Saturday between 10am and midday. Never showed up again, no reply to texts and no answer on phone calls. 

Left an appropriate review and got a cheeky response full of lies, will just avoid in future.

Anyway, I got quotes of £120+Vat from both these chaps;

http://allglassglazingltd.co.uk/

https://www.albawindscreens.co.uk/

In the end went with the second one, just because they could do it a good bit sooner. First guy was just dead busy, but comes recommended. 

They came this afternoon and had the old screen out and new one in in less than 15 minutes, top work. Would recommend. 

Here is why you don't leave your car parked under a tree/next to a hedge for months;

IMG_20200730_192302369.thumb.jpg.d425fdec4e4966077c639c7f653725ce.jpg

IMG_20200730_192258766.thumb.jpg.09744bba366e2f0a97aee153ea886aa9.jpg

Quick wash to get the worst of it off;

IMG_20200730_193149414.thumb.jpg.2f4dd174bd3f6552d6c3863cd784ff2e.jpg

Anyway, MOT booked for Friday at 1pm. Fingers crossed. When I phoned the test centre the boy asked on hearing it was a 205, "Is that a cherished vehicle then?", "eh, well...." was my response.

I better convert it from shed to car beforehand though;

IMG_20200805_144617497.thumb.jpg.beb6514d879316a9ac31431cf5c90f29.jpg