The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I look forward to finding out!

Some C6s are starting to show horrific levels of rot in the sills and floor, just to warn you.

I’m all for The Citroen brand getting back in touch with its heritage but that’s a bit too far, PSA.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

In other Citroen news, the 4 speed Berlingo is in at my Favoured french chod fettling local garage to attend to the leaking injector seal. Hopefully that’s the limit of the catch up maintenance and repair for the moment.

I'm curious...so why's 5th gear dead then?  That seems like the least likely gear to fail given that it's the least used.  Does it just not go in at all or does it select but not do anything?

1 hour ago, phil_lihp said:

I'm curious...so why's 5th gear dead then?  That seems like the least likely gear to fail given that it's the least used.  Does it just not go in at all or does it select but not do anything?

It feels like it selects in the gait but then nothing. It could yet be something not quite right with the selector linkage (yet to look) or I have read that the peening on a nut can fail and come undone which can happen apparently. I don’t really ‘need’ 5th at the present time with my use of it. Having said that did go to Exeter the other day and 4th at 60 is 2900 rpm and fuel consumption still very good. Presumably my DPF (if it has one - anyone know?) should be fully regenerated after that.

14 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Hardly worthy of its own thread (boring journey to collect unremarkable car), but as I see it's now too old for the moderns section allow me to present an car:

20200729_202700.thumb.jpg.2424d7efae2504c65bc0246d6d842992.jpg

Actually I'm really starting to like it. 

Be interesting to see how you find this. I was utterly captivated by the C4 when it launched, for some reason. I'd prefer the coupe, but they are usually useless day to day. 

4 hours ago, Patent said:

I see Argos are doing away with the physical catalogues. Start hoarding now for future disputes and problem buyers

They never printed them + some stores cannot re open now as they are critically low on all stock.

Home from work today as some gas pipeline renewal thing on the estate. Said it would be two hours- nearer four in the end. I don’t know what they have done as all they did our end was turn everyone’s gas off at 8.30 and back on at midday. 

Sitting outside now, and my garden is overrun with peasants. Sorry, pheasants.

CE4B5B99-2C88-4225-8F81-8D1077E69FF4.jpeg

12C62653-FF15-4583-AF65-FE63347203EF.jpeg

Insurance time, such great fun. Managed to get the Capri down to £153.05 which is quite a drop from last year - shows what moving from inner London to the poshness of Barné does to your risk... I've taken it out as SDP only as my normal parking is on a side-street in Wembley, which is not where I'd choose to leave it!

42 minutes ago, N19 said:

Insurance time, such great fun. Managed to get the Capri down to £153.05 which is quite a drop from last year - shows what moving from inner London to the poshness of Barné does to your risk... I've taken it out as SDP only as my normal parking is on a side-street in Wembley, which is not where I'd choose to leave it!

Depends where in Barnet. The CX premium reduced by about £250 in the second year, probably because I hardly drove it....

First welding I have done on my GS in 16 years, well not on the car itself but on a GSA undertray which will replace my rotten original.

Plan is to trailer the car down here from the parents garage and actually get the thing on the road, it’s waited long enough.

3B8297DC-3D32-4876-A080-E2D521E741C7.jpeg

Got the Transit out from undercover today. It’s been off the road since September last year as I didn’t see much point MOTing it just to sit unused for winter. Then Chinavirus happened and it stayed sitting! I drove it up the (private!) street in February though just to keep the brakes free.

Anyway, I thought I’d fire it up and Move it up and down the drive today.

To my surprise, it fired straight up! After sitting so long and the battery isn’t in the best health either! Moved it up and down the drive and it seems ok. Handbrake was a bit reluctant to release at first but seems well now.

Thought I’d leave it sat with the windows down today as it’s baking hot here. Wound the drivers one down, and the interior rubber seal got jammed against the glass and somehow managed to pull the glass out of the winder mechanism! Something to fix today then!

Door card removed and the glass has stayed up in the door, held by the rubber, so I’ve yanked it down back into the channel and put a squirt of contact adhesive in the channel to stop it falling out. Once dry, a bit of lubricating of the rubbers seems to have put an end to that annoying issue.

Naturally, once the door card was off it revealed more past problems to put right (because I can’t leave things alone!). First was the door card vinyl trim was coming loose around the edges, and the bottom corners of the hardboard backing had got damp and split. Then the reason for the dampness was because the polythene damp membrane was missing!

So a new piece of polythene was cut to size (left overs from the Capri) and glued on with polyurethane adhesive.

23861AD2-0879-4466-A062-D3C6706DE577.thumb.jpeg.f934be67819ab5868de156d86cdaac91.jpeg

Then the door card vinyl trim was glued back to its backing board with a thin coat of contact adhesive. The cracks on the back were also coated with contact adhesive, then pulled back to shape closing the splits and gluing them back together. The biggest one needed reinforcing though, so a strip of plastic sheet was cut to size and glued over the split.

1ACBAA4A-12C9-4DC6-8744-3D412F6EDBDB.thumb.jpeg.a956b5a239c5fcae96508cedca11e6b6.jpeg

Then reassembled!

F1AC3F6B-13FC-42C8-A366-FDE86F2C523D.thumb.jpeg.9609ae210c0d69667f6e4c17402ba93a.jpeg

just need to find a replacement door bin now as it’s missing from this door.

Need to get it MOT’d too, then probably sell it on.

12 months MOT.  No advisories.  Such are the updates when one owns AN CAR.  Jesus though, I don't think I have ever had that result - in nearly 30 years of motoring.  Felt the urge to tell someone.  Consider yerself TELT. 

Currently drinking in me keks and listening to loud crusty punk rock to celebrate this thin victory.

Carry on.

Whilst I'm at it actually, on the subject of signatures:  Mine looks pretty stupid I guess, but my thinking on it was that if anyone else bought one of those cars, then I might* have something useful to share, however negligent.  Always wanna help folks if I can. I also like having a record.  Whaddaya reckon.  Ditch it?