The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Almera passed the MOT. Same advisories regarding the windscreen chip and oil leak.

Question: I have a new advisory as my NSR tyre valve stem is slightly damaged. I have checked it myself if I move it one side then air escapes.Is this an easy repair? As it had new tyres 9 months ago, I wonder if the tyre fitters could sort it.

14 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

Almera passed the MOT. Same advisories regarding the windscreen chip and oil leak.

Question: I have a new advisory as my NSR tyre valve stem is slightly damaged. I have checked it myself if I move it one side then air escapes.Is this an easy repair? As it had new tyres 9 months ago, I wonder if the tyre fitters could sort it.

The place I buy my tyres from (Paul's tyres, in Formby) would chalk the tyre and wheel, remove the tyre, clean up the seat, replace the valve, put the tyre back on (lining up the chalk) check the balance, and charge me £5 if it didn't require weights and £8 if it required weights. 

Or £10 for a puncture repair. 

Last CX hose delivered to Garage Dubois-Loizou, so hopefully they should be able to complete the works and testing before handing it back with a very large bill. Just in time for the MoT next month....

Meanwhile, some département registration stickers have arrived:

20200723_174041.jpg

Purchased new ht leads, spark plugs and a stepper motor for the Polonez. If that doesn't cure the slightly high (1200 rpms or so) and lumpy idle then I guess I'm gonna have to start looking for an MS DOS laptop with a serial port to hook up to the diagnostic port.

Interestingly, a mechanic who knows these cars (worked at a dealer and actually performed warranty work on my car back in 1996) told me that it's a good idea to replace spark plugs every 7-10 k km. Interestingly, that's also the realistic interval between valve adjustments. Welcome to proper 60's motoring in 1995.

Photo for your time. :D

IMG_20200723_174425.thumb.jpg.09ae5eadc8d2b52e9c115da88b56679e.jpg

7 hours ago, New POD said:

The place I buy my tyres from (Paul's tyres, in Formby) would chalk the tyre and wheel, remove the tyre, clean up the seat, replace the valve, put the tyre back on (lining up the chalk) check the balance, and charge me £5 if it didn't require weights and £8 if it required weights. 

Or £10 for a puncture repair. 

You’ve got to realise that if something takes half an hour to do, that’s a minimum cost to the Garage of probably £10 for labour alone. Minimum wage, plus rent, rates, electricity etc. 

16 hours ago, Borsuq said:

Purchased new ht leads, spark plugs and a stepper motor for the Polonez. If that doesn't cure the slightly high (1200 rpms or so) and lumpy idle then I guess I'm gonna have to start looking for an MS DOS laptop with a serial port to hook up to the diagnostic port.

Interestingly, a mechanic who knows these cars (worked at a dealer and actually performed warranty work on my car back in 1996) told me that it's a good idea to replace spark plugs every 7-10 k km. Interestingly, that's also the realistic interval between valve adjustments. Welcome to proper 60's motoring in 1995.

Photo for your time. :D

IMG_20200723_174425.thumb.jpg.09ae5eadc8d2b52e9c115da88b56679e.jpg

Does this have a lambda sensor?

If so I ran into an interesting problem with one on my Lada.  There was no local ground for the signal line in the ECU, relying on the sensor being grounded through the case (despite being a four wire one, so it looking like there should be no need for it).  This wasn't a problem with the original AC Delco AC97 sensors...but they've been unobtainable for ages.  The modern Bosch etc replacements which on paper should be compatible obviously don't work though as the sensor is fully isolated from the case.

I chased this problem around for several weeks before connecting the signal ground for the oxygen sensor in parallel with the throttle position/coolant sensor signal ground pin at the ECU.  Problem immediately completely rectified.

Just figuring they might have used a similar system so it was worth mentioning.

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Does this have a lambda sensor?

If so I ran into an interesting problem with one on my Lada.  There was no local ground for the signal line in the ECU, relying on the sensor being grounded through the case (despite being a four wire one, so it looking like there should be no need for it).  This wasn't a problem with the original AC Delco AC97 sensors...but they've been unobtainable for ages.  The modern Bosch etc replacements which on paper should be compatible obviously don't work though as the sensor is fully isolated from the case.

I chased this problem around for several weeks before connecting the signal ground for the oxygen sensor in parallel with the throttle position/coolant sensor signal ground pin at the ECU.  Problem immediately completely rectified.

Just figuring they might have used a similar system so it was worth mentioning.

Have not considered this to be honest. I'll make sure to investigate.

Was your Lads throwing a check engine (or equivalent light) through all this?

Cheers!