The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Managed to get in quite a lot of Polonez driving this weekend. It's a really great countryside exploration car. Comfortable, has enough ground clearance to shame many SUVs, very soft suspension that doesn't care if the road is terrible. I'm really glad it's working out in that way, because fear of running out of decent road was always hampering my drives in the 126.

Also, got my first breakdown in the FSO; luckily it was diagnosed and fixed within 10 seconds of me opening the bonnet (HT lead popped off the coil) and it happened in a place where I could stop safely. I guess I'm gonna have to look at getting new HT leads and keep hoping that didn't knacker the coil.

IMG_20200718_143741.thumb.jpg.2894412bc69430b9fd7f3760809957c8.jpg

IMG_20200718_143941.thumb.jpg.f08b6e508cf1c6d8c9fc1ebdd7626745.jpg

IMG_20200718_144413.thumb.jpg.77042cdb64d9e5736ef5211748b729de.jpg

Did the shortest ever collection the other day. Walked all of 10 mins to collect this beauty and I absolutely love it. Perfect for my needs and drives absolutely spot on. The history file is amazing, it's even been terracleaned a couple years ago. A few little jobs already done to it. Put Gtechniq C4 on all the plastic scuttle and trims and looks brand new again. Also scrubbed up the interior and comes up a treat. Genuinely lovely to drive this, even if the LSD and rear wheel drive took me by surprise on a roundabout in the wet...leaving me facing the opposite way! Will be changing the number plates over and I've ordered the Lexus and is200 badges from Lexus direct to make it look better. 

IMG_20200719_150744.jpg

Finished putting the Mondeo back together this evening.  It took longer than it should have done - turns out the bolts I used to reattach the EGR pipe on Saturday were in fact MAF sensor bolts, and the EGR bolts weren't quite long enough to hold the MAF on.  The bottom bolt on the EGR pipe is a bit of a twat to get to so it took me quite a while to get it undone and the correct bolt back in its place.

It's back together now though, and it fired straight up and didn't make any untoward noises - the EML was on, but I think that was a result of me starting it with the MAF removed on Saturday, I cleared the codes and it hasn't come back on.  I took it for a short drive - enough to get it up to temperature - I didn't push it very hard but wound it up to 60 and it seemed happy enough, with no plumes of smoke visible in the rear view mirror.  The real test of whether I've fixed it or not will come tomorrow when I have to drive into Norwich to pick up my shiny new work laptop.  We shall see.  I have a bike in the boot if it does decide to shart itself...

Mike Harker (visa person in the ccc has emailed). May be a source of parts for those of you with visas, Amis, cxs and gs.

Hello Guys,

You may know this already, but for those who don’t Bullwinkle’s Garage in Lincolnshire has closed and Phil Bullwinkle is selling their ex stock Citroen parts, trading as pjbparts on eBay.

Mike Harker
Visa, LN/A, Axel & C15 Section.

More Rover 75 news...

There's been a bit of a grumbling under acceleration from the OSF corner for a while, a bit of a look this morning revealed one loose engine mounting bolt & another one which was completely missing. An easy fix! In other exciting news, I had to take the fair wife down to Lutterworth with her company paying for fuel, so I brimmed it before leaving, drove the 60 odd miles at 70 mph on cruise control & refilled the old barge immediately. 

892220268_Screenshot2020-07-21at12_02_05.png.c78fcd6f5bacbb965f553a3989220511.png

34.6 mpg's from a 2.5 litre V6 & baderbox!

6 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Mike Harker (visa person in the ccc has emailed). May be a source of parts for those of you with visas, Amis, cxs and gs.

Hello Guys,

You may know this already, but for those who don’t Bullwinkle’s Garage in Lincolnshire has closed and Phil Bullwinkle is selling their ex stock Citroen parts, trading as pjbparts on eBay.

Mike Harker
Visa, LN/A, Axel & C15 Section.

@Six-cylinder @dollywobbler ?

Returning home, I had a mini moment of panic when I noticed the Bluebird wasn't where I'd parked it. It took a couple of minutes before I realised that the previously-arranged job on the brake lines by the garage consisted of me chucking them the keys and saying "It's on the street, bring it in when you have time, no rush" a week or so ago.

I washed the car earlier in a fit of enthusiasm that rapidly went away. Bought some cleaning stuff from eBay a fortnight ago. - large bucket with sieve, conc liq, bilberry wheel cleaner, brush, and tyre dressing. Came with a free lambswool mitten that I used to remove the E and 3 from the bootlid. Grrr. E was always wonky, so took the opportunity to reattach them properly with the double sticky foam tape I have.  Did a better job,  on E but I think the 3 is too high now.  

Quite like the tyre dressing as it cleans but is a matt finish.

EDA8FABA-4E8E-4E7B-B957-5D170496A4F0.jpeg

797A2287-AE4A-4618-A900-6B68DBCFCA98.jpeg

A42480D1-BF42-497D-A829-FE6D7554E831.jpeg

2 hours ago, anonymous user said:

No Boris 6 month extension 

But why does it matter is what I meant, all our cars got Boris' but they have all been MOT'd on their old due date, (because I don't fancy the possibility of crawling under a car in Jan or Feb mainly if any of them fails)  an extra 6 months is equivalent to a £20 saving.

I'm feeling especially grumpy today.