The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

36 minutes ago, dave j said:

How bad does it smoke? My Octavia is a bit smoky but it has passed the last 2 mot's with just  an advisory... I think the dpf has been removed in it but not certain 

Petrol emissions tests look a bit more thoroughly at the exhaust contents than a diesel test. But then chucking out blue smoke is likely to fail any year car - including classics. 

Selling a car before you put it to general sale to someone you worked with for 2 months, is as much of a ball ache as selling to general public.  Allegedly because I offered it to another ex-workmate cheaper 10 months ago. Things change. It was't fully running and I was employed. It now works, I'm now unemployed...

Offering for much less than national price for one of it's condition, call it a case of "I no's whats i gots" but screw that...

5 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

Selling a car before you put it to general sale to someone you worked with for 2 months, is as much of a ball ache as selling to general public.  Allegedly because I offered it to another ex-workmate cheaper 10 months ago. Things change. It was't fully running and I was employed. It now works, I'm now unemployed...

Offering for much less than national price for one of it's condition, call it a case of "I no's whats i gots" but screw that...

Another bonus is you'll get reminded constantly from the buyer if/when anything goes wrong with it

16 hours ago, stuboy said:

And... it failed few silly bulbs and the mot tester reckons it blue smoked so badly it fill work shop... so either rings going/valve stem seals..

Any suggestions?

Screenshot_20200718-143140_Chrome.jpg

The MOT Tester noted how my Mini was burning oil but it didn't affect the emissions. It's the valve stem seals on mine that's the problem.

I replaced the clutch master and slave last year in the Alessi, but for the past few weeks it hasn't been sticking like when they failed. But the pedal was squeaky and in first gear I was like Maureen from driving school.

In the shed, 2 bottles of copper aerosol... Both fucked and empty. Couldn't find the grease, so I WD'd the cylinder inside and it's perfect again.

P.s. I know WD is a water displacement and not for lubing and the car will implode. ?

Fleet audit time

214 stuck in a Council garage for the last three months. Went to visit it last week in the hope the garage roof had caved in and wrecked the car. Fail. Interior now akin to Kiltox's R8 cabbie, mould everywhere. And I didn't leave a window open. Arse.  Shut garage door in disgust. Boris MOT until Jan 2021, so that's a fuck it and forget it for now. Battery already disconnected and handbrake off.

420 (number of times battery went flat during lockdown - twice) is behaving itself but I need to overhaul the brakes as they're making some interesting noises. Also suspect NS CV joint is on it's way out. Oh and a slow puncture  NSF. To be fair, I need to sort out the wheels and tyres properly. I have four alloys of the same design (I bought five wheels off a bloke in Brum for 50 quid rather than forking out on new tyres all round), three of which aren't shiny, one of which is. So I need to get my shit together and get shiny new tyres on the shiny alloys. Eventually I'm aiming to get it up to Craig at Rover Revival in Stalybridge to sort out the trailing arm bushes, and possibly the timing belt too. Boris MOT until November 2020.

620 (number of times battery went flat during lockdown - once) the old trooper,  developed a microswitch fault which meant I couldn't centrally lock with the key - back to the old fashioned way of press the knob in and keep the handle up. TADTS issue, but mysteriously the car started locking normally again the other day. Typical old car idiosyncrasy. Generally this car is my go to Mr Reliable. Boris MOT until October 2020.

820 (number of times battery went flat during lockdown - once) barely driven in anger since I won this in a roffle last November. A few niggling issues to sort out before it possibly goes onto a fellow Shiter, negotiations paused due to Covid, recommencing imminently. Boris MOT until December 2020.

Streetwise (number of times battery went flat during lockdown - twice)  finally hit 70K miles in the old fella, gave it a new grille badge to celebrate. Number of niggles to sort out, namely front discs/pads and CV boots. Bozza MOT until October 2020

Accord Coupe (number of times battery went flat during lockdown - once) another neglected car during lockdown, to the extent the battery completely died, so replacement bought and fitted last week and given a good old run out. Still need to sort out groaning brakes to the front. The new battery also cured the sporadic bursts of alarm noise, usually at 2am, and the failure of the fob to unlock the driver's door. Still brings a smile to my face when I bury my foot in the carpet. Boris MOT until October 2020

5 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Ohh dear, that sucks.  Hope you can get it sorted for a decent sum

seems quite common, one minute alls ok then next the durawreck engine reaches over 100k and can happen or really luck not happen.

so now have a car ive just insured i cant use presently, i think some magic potions in the engine and italian tune up, and book in a test, at a different garage

Been running around in the Renault 6 today - worryingly it's the only fully functional road legal car I own at the moment (Mondeo is in bits, Hyundai is drivable but the clutch is a pain in the arse, 75 and Carina are on SORN).  It's been buzzing along happily as it always does.  I drove up to a mate's this afternoon for a barbecue and passed a red Renault 4 parked up along the sea front at Walcott - the owner was sat in it so I gave a toot and a thumbs up, it took him a second or two to register but then he waved back.  I couldn't stop as I was in a line of traffic and there was nowhere to park.

The Mondeo has had all of the intake pipework including the intercooler removed and cleaned out - there was quite a lot of oil in the intercooler...  I'm now just waiting for the MAF cleaning shiz I ordered to turn up, then that can go back on and I can take the car for a test drive to make sure it hasn't suffered any permanent harm.

Managed to get in quite a lot of Polonez driving this weekend. It's a really great countryside exploration car. Comfortable, has enough ground clearance to shame many SUVs, very soft suspension that doesn't care if the road is terrible. I'm really glad it's working out in that way, because fear of running out of decent road was always hampering my drives in the 126.

Also, got my first breakdown in the FSO; luckily it was diagnosed and fixed within 10 seconds of me opening the bonnet (HT lead popped off the coil) and it happened in a place where I could stop safely. I guess I'm gonna have to look at getting new HT leads and keep hoping that didn't knacker the coil.

IMG_20200718_143741.thumb.jpg.2894412bc69430b9fd7f3760809957c8.jpg

IMG_20200718_143941.thumb.jpg.f08b6e508cf1c6d8c9fc1ebdd7626745.jpg

IMG_20200718_144413.thumb.jpg.77042cdb64d9e5736ef5211748b729de.jpg

Did the shortest ever collection the other day. Walked all of 10 mins to collect this beauty and I absolutely love it. Perfect for my needs and drives absolutely spot on. The history file is amazing, it's even been terracleaned a couple years ago. A few little jobs already done to it. Put Gtechniq C4 on all the plastic scuttle and trims and looks brand new again. Also scrubbed up the interior and comes up a treat. Genuinely lovely to drive this, even if the LSD and rear wheel drive took me by surprise on a roundabout in the wet...leaving me facing the opposite way! Will be changing the number plates over and I've ordered the Lexus and is200 badges from Lexus direct to make it look better. 

IMG_20200719_150744.jpg