The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 7/15/2020 at 12:48 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

.....Dubois-Loizou sez the car has to be run before deciding if any other hoses need replacing.

Y'know those three silicone hoses I ordered from Redox in France? Errm, well, apparently we now need all the other hoses as well.

87FB868E-1C49-433B-9FF2-7F8F9D2E36FA.jpg

Except the one that came off a Berlingo last year....

Herpes courier turned up today with the correct starter for the Bluebird. Conveniently, it's parked at the end of the street and the starter has now completely gone - even percussive methods no longer work. Oh well, best do the job on the street... 

IMG_20200716_175026.jpg

Apparently I am allowed to choose a gift from some list online. But the website doesn't seem to work. I'm supposed to enter my username (which was my paynumber) and a code which is in the letter they sent me. Tried three times with variations on the ambiguous 0's and O's but after three attempts they locked my account. Now I have to phone somebody in Reading. I think they are making it deliberately difficult hoping we give up. 

For twenty years service I got a nice simple £100 voucher for most high street shops. I bought this watch. 

IMG_20200716_203037.thumb.jpg.ad93d2356760cfec0659358e77a6032a.jpg

That I still have. I don't know why everything has to be so complicated now.  

After 25 years service, in a previous job, I declined the formal presentation, but did take the vouchers and used them to buy my sister a new television. I did not particularly want to get myself anything that would remind me that I had spent so long in a place that had destroyed my mental health.

3 minutes ago, BL Bloke said:

I 've been summoned for jury service in September. It says for two weeks but the last time I did it in 1995 it lasted about 10 weeks.  

Did mine in Jan 2019.  They were very clear that if it were likely to be a longer trial, we should let them know if that caused a problem. On my first day a big trial came up, which woukd have been 6 weeks, and my Jury service insurance would have covered most if my lost income, so I was up for it.  But then we were given a list of names and places, and if we knew any if them, we were not able to be on the list.  

I knew one of the policemen who was a childhood friend, so that was me out.  I guess they started with 48 people and had to get it down to 12. 

The bloke I was talking to on the first day was in tears at the lunch break on day 2 so i am glad that I didn't get on it. 

4 hours ago, N19 said:

Herpes courier turned up today with the correct starter for the Bluebird. Conveniently, it's parked at the end of the street and the starter has now completely gone - even percussive methods no longer work. Oh well, best do the job on the street... 

IMG_20200716_175026.jpg

Didn't even fit the new part in the end. I was busy noseying at the existing starter and noticed how loose the earth was. A clean up and nipping the nut up nicely sees it fire every time. Could that have been it all along... I suppose if it wasn't making good contact, a whack with a mallet was probably enough to shift it to make better contact for a while. Anyway, we'll see... 

So with the dodgy ebay starter plus this one I now have two spares - very good door stops if nothing else... 

I’ve been driving half my life, and have never run out of petrol on a journey.... 

Until today!!!!!! 

147F8AFC-2A85-4CF1-9475-4465012C816C.jpeg

I’ll just leave this here and walk back home then.... 

Bother. 

Note to self... fuel gauge reads low = fuel IS low unlike the other 2CV.