The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Tyres have finally been ordered for the MG TF, not a great deal of choice in 15" size but went for Toyo TR1's which seem to be the most popular choice for the model. Hard sidewall is required, apparently, to ensure the pure* handling is retained so the XL version it is.

Anyone have any experience of Toyo, I haven't so would be interested please.

2 hours ago, tommotech said:

Tyres have finally been ordered for the MG TF, not a great deal of choice in 15" size but went for Toyo TR1's which seem to be the most popular choice for the model. Hard sidewall is required, apparently, to ensure the pure* handling is retained so the XL version it is.

Yup Jez, used them loads on a few different cars and always been decent. They wear quite quickly but that is always the case with stickier stuff.

2 hours ago, tommotech said:

I’ve had them on the 2cv for ten years or so. No real issues- not as much grip as Michelin’s, but 1/3 the cost. Just started perishing though and will need a new set soon.

51072449-590C-43CD-B181-3E9A23B0C240.jpeg

3 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

I wonder if someone got into trouble at Euro Car Parts for sending out the right item ?

"Look here Fred, I hear what you say, but what you did is completely against every company policy. I had to speak to you last week as well about using an appropriate box and packaging as well. This really will not do!" 

CX starter motor has been misbehaving (they resorted to banging it with a hammer to get it working), so that looks like a replacement due. There is a Valeo one available at £180(!).

Redundant A/C compressor removed. Front grille and radiator removed temporarily whilst they make a new holding frame arrangement for the twin radiator fans.

Dubois-Loizou sez the car has to be run before deciding if any other hoses need replacing.

11 minutes ago, N19 said:

Percussive maintenance always comes out on top...

When in doubt, get the hammer.

Previous owner of the CX said it would start 75/80% of the time, but he never bothered changing the starter motor as he only drove the car maybe three times a year, whereas I wanted to drive it at least three times a week.....

Found the fiat 8v for sale - estimate €1.2-1.4 million.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0420/open-roads--the-european-summer-auction/lots/r0079-1954-fiat-8v-coupé/927187

Actually, nearly everything I've photographed recently is for sale here

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0420

Including, the peel, ferraris, lamborghini, bristol and maybach. The maybach looks* like an absolute bargain - 30,000km and estimate €20-25,000.

19 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Found the fiat 8v for sale - estimate €1.2-1.4 million.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0420/open-roads--the-european-summer-auction/lots/r0079-1954-fiat-8v-coupé/927187

Actually, nearly everything I've photographed recently is for sale here

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/0420

Including, the peel, ferraris, lamborghini, bristol and maybach. The maybach looks* like an absolute bargain - 30,000km and estimate €20-25,000.

interesting those are going to? RM Sotheby's auctions

I wonder if you ever saw NPJ340D? it sold at a Sotheby's auction in 2009, but sadly I dont know who it ended up with

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/LF09/Automobiles-of-London/lots/r127-1966-ac-acedes-invalid-car/202779

18897135119190a10f8f7c9ce40966baac14f994.jpg

it also has a most interesting control scheme setup that I dont think I have seen in any other AC Acedes

AC-Acedes-04.jpg

(most had a tiller bar arrangement, common to most full bodied Villers machines of the time)

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

interesting those are going to? RM Sotheby's auctions

I wonder if you ever saw NPJ340D? it sold at a Sotheby's auction in 2009, but sadly I dont know who it ended up with

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/LF09/Automobiles-of-London/lots/r127-1966-ac-acedes-invalid-car/202779

18897135119190a10f8f7c9ce40966baac14f994.jpg

it also has a most interesting control scheme setup that I dont think I have seen in any other AC Acedes

AC-Acedes-04.jpg

(most had a tiller bar arrangement, common to most full bodied Villers machines of the time)

Car place hasn’t been there that long- perhaps four years? Before that the hanger was forsite construction accessories and the other side and yard was mcallisters heavy recovery.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Someone's already trying their luck on it at 50 Euros. That's practically AS price level.

It is like new inside and out, I wonder what the running costs are like? I don’t need to travel to collect, it’s twenty feet from work. Better value than a £40,000 Peel suicide attempt that doesn’t actually run ( they spent hours today towing it to attempt a start). The amount of smoke that came out I thought they were choosing a new Pope! Presumably it’s a two stroke?

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Car place hasn’t been there that long- perhaps four years? Before that the hanger was forsite construction accessories and the other side and yard was mcallisters heavy recovery.

ah figured such sadly, I still think of 2009 as not being all that long ago! LOL

23 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It is like new inside and out, I wonder what the running costs are like? I don’t need to travel to collect, it’s twenty feet from work. Better value than a £40,000 Peel suicide attempt that doesn’t actually run ( they spent hours today towing it to attempt a start). The amount of smoke that came out I thought they were choosing a new Pope! Presumably it’s a two stroke?

LOL yeah, 49cc DKW 2 stroke moped engine, wonder what was wrong with it, cant be much to an old single cylinder 2 stroke! I have to wonder why they where trying to tow start it... they have a simple pull starter handle inside the cab

like a lawn mower or such like LOL