The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Answered a phone call whilst at the FoD. It was Garage Dubois-Loizou. They'd been having a hard time of flushing CX engine and cooling system until they remembered Finish, a popular brand of dishwasher cleaner (other dishwasher cleaner products are available). Apparently I now have the freshest smelling coolant in North London.

And some of the other hoses are not far off looking fucked as well. Plus the nearside radiator fan has lost its mountings, so they will have to fashion new ones.

I can't wait to see what happens next. 

Well..... Hiya. Been off here for a while due to a nasty virus which has infected some people in hospital and some other folk apparently. Ho Hum. Anyway....... Anyone want a free car? Tax (VED) is silly, £48 per month, but car is FREE.

2007 Chevrolet tacuma auto 2.0

Picked up the sons new car yesterday.

Due to bat flu he's had two driving tests cancelled and being in fucking Wales still means no driving lessons or tests-behind England again. Wasn't planning on buying till he passed test but needed to get him out on road. 

Better car than my first- a Mk5 Cortina 2.0GL when I was 21- not a Fiesta Zetec S when I was 17. Must be bloody mad.

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor

Been working on this today... 

IMG-20200712-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.957620f034517e303013e58fae4707ed.jpeg

IMG_20200712_120306.thumb.jpg.b6cb97648ae5fb44e6049ba911bee541.jpg

Doing some tidying at my father in laws when we went to lift a pallet of wood and the big yellow bitch burst a hose. 

It's in this lot somewhere...

IMG_20200712_131246.thumb.jpg.8231e33894fd8d3fdbee8670fa90f9ad.jpg

With the pipe brackets removed, some with a tickle from the 9" grinder, I ran the engine up to see which pipe was failed...

IMG-20200712-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.7d6808afd657c5d29acaa7416daba7f9.jpeg

As a temporary repair, I've used one of the pipes from the auxilary ports at the front to re-pipe the boom, as we never used those and we need it up and running asap.

IMG-20200712-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.66a52d7b6d6f18282927e745dad6e736.jpeg

I just need to find a suitable cap for this for the time being, the union was 22mm.

IMG-20200712-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.aaa76bd8422aca9db33c90ef97ac9884.jpeg

10 hours ago, gm said:

I reckon you were standing on this bridge ?

IMG_2023.thumb.PNG.0b9b372606fd7a051f1bdc1f04e2b308.PNG

You're quite far from home there, must be a decent mileage done 

Correct. I drove to my mates in Burradon and we went out with the kids. Still did 16 miles through Gosforth park etc.

Had to take a truck to the crew who serve the Sussex villages not far from Petersfield as they had a fire. Then when it was out had to run their one to Arundel as it’s the nearest transfer station with an area for “damaged goods”. (I was supposed to be working from home today)

C4198FEA-FB44-458C-9DE2-DACCB668D832.thumb.jpeg.48d25b3e70553a3be38b847168be0d9d.jpeg8F9A48BC-3E86-41F8-8EAC-E4BE56BF5027.thumb.jpeg.f1e423c331b6cd3f27350bb831e20c63.jpeg519ABD64-0CC4-4770-8D26-9562E21680E6.thumb.jpeg.4355b7ab01ea347073e5d2a6d21cf250.jpeg

Lithium batteries and bin wagons really don’t mix. Poor fire crew having to sift through 8 tonnes of compacted filth, pushed out a few bags at a time.

On 07/07/2020 at 20:48, dollywobbler said:

Wuvvum - I've lost the post to quote it, but it seriously sounds like you need one of those lithium-ion jump packs. I'd be lost without mine. Mine is one of these - started the Delica from proper flat no problem at all. I've used it loads. Also handy as an emergency 12v power outlet when you discover that your latest purchase has a broken ciggy lighter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iclever-20000mAH-Emergency-Cigarette-Flashlight-Yellow/dp/B076CR28C3 

Decided to get one as a gift for my dad since they're a few quid off. Really hope they're decent.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:48 PM, dollywobbler said:

Wuvvum - I've lost the post to quote it, but it seriously sounds like you need one of those lithium-ion jump packs. I'd be lost without mine. Mine is one of these - started the Delica from proper flat no problem at all. I've used it loads. Also handy as an emergency 12v power outlet when you discover that your latest purchase has a broken ciggy lighter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iclever-20000mAH-Emergency-Cigarette-Flashlight-Yellow/dp/B076CR28C3 

Mine started the Gamma on Sunday and when I went to start it again showing 75% charge it would not turn it. My normal jump pack started it straight away.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Why is this?

you really dont want lithium ion/polymer batteries in a bin wagon because when a lithium ion/polymer battery as found in lots of modern electronics these days is crushed or punctured etc

it heats up and catch fire very rapidly! 

it reminds me of the reason why when disposing of end of life Low pressure sodium lamps your supposed to smash them up in a bucket then spray/fill it with water so all the sodium is naturalised in a controlled manner before chucking it in the regular waste bin

as when sodium comes in contact with water it will react with the water to produce lots of heat and hydrogen gas, which you dont want happening in the back of a Bin waggon!

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mine started the Gamma on Sunday and when I went to start it again showing 75% charge it would not turn it. My normal jump pack started it straight away.

Mine started the Gamma twice on Sunday, even after the kids had battered it for their gadgets. If the battery is really flat, pressing the Boost button on the cable will improve things.

17 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

you really dont want lithium ion batteries in a bin wagon because when a lithium ion battery as found in lots of modern electronics these days is crushed or punctured etc

it heats up and catch fire very rapidly! 

it reminds me of the reason why when disposing of end of life Low pressure sodium lamps your supposed to smash them up in a bucket then spray/fill it with water so all the sodium is naturalised in a controlled manner before chucking it in the regular waste bin

as when sodium comes in contact with water it will react with the water to produce lots of heat and hydrogen gas, which you dont want happening in the back of a Bin waggon!

As always, BigClive and his explosion containment pie dish has you covered. 

4 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Looks like you have tooo much pressure!!! 

Are you parked in a deep freeze, you temperature doesn't seem to be registering ?

There's an issue with the oil pressure gauge, it jumps to about 80% as soon as the ignition is turned on.  It's on the list to investigate at some point!  No temperature shown as I'd just turned the ignition on for the first time today.