The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I couldn’t believe the difference when I went back in last night . I’ve only got 2 strip lights so It makes it much brighter .

Pity I didn’t have the right roller to help  to get all the holes in the blocks .

I started stippling the paint in with a brush and this escalated to a wild stabbing motion when that failed!

For lighting garages, I thoroughly 12 volt LED rope light like this. It's cheap, and can be connected to either a 12v power supply if you have power in the garage, or an old battery if you don't.

I had it on the ceiling of my old place in three rows, plus some above the workbench to light that up without casting shadows, plus a run about 1' off the ground on the wall to illuminate any low-level works. Really flexible, you can experiment before you decide where to put it, you can cut to length and solder connectors on, and dirt cheap (there are cheaper than the one I've linked to).

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I started stippling the paint in with a brush and this escalated to a wild stabbing motion when that failed!

Mine's been painted about 5 times over the last 20 years. It gets a little easier with each coat. I still use a 2" brush to paint it on and it's more like spreading plaster than brushing paint as thick as you can get it and try to fill up the holes in the blocks. Thankfully masonry paint is so thick it just sticks without running no matter how thick you spread it on. The first time around is the worst though, after that I've always just done small sections at a time so I don't get fed up with it, get sloppy and end up with paint everywhere!

Attended Southend Hospital's A&E department earlier today after the pain and mobility issues I've endured due to sciatica since early June became unbearable. I've been feeling terrible physically for weeks, but I put off seeking professional medical attention until today due to the current situation, as I perceived that there were other people in more need than myself: 

blergh.thumb.jpg.da5ddecc617de2e19a1a89191ccbc4d8.jpg

Diagnosis confirmed, painkillers and muscle relaxants prescribed (naproxen and diazepam. I also had a little bit of morphine at the hospital, which I'd never had before. It was nice), and I'm feeling much better already :)

A long weekend now beckons, as I'm taking tomorrow off regardless of what anyone says (I might be made redundant next month, so f*ck 'em). I'm wondering if I'll be able to do any car stuff, as I've not been able to do very much in recent weeks due to my condition. Both cars need a wash and The Aero needs an engine oil change.

#ThankYouNHS

I'm on a half day today, so after retrieving the Mondeo from having a new cambelt fitted, I decided to start on swapping the Bluebird starter motor. 

First error - trusting the rain to hold off. Fortunately, this is where having useless* things like a gazebo come in handy. 

IMG_20200709_155716.thumb.jpg.e129aa47b8541ea182748f8d740b9be2.jpg

Disconnected a coolant hose to give better access. Even the HBOL calls the access "very difficult" so that's saying something... 

Then I get a proper view of the starter, undo the bolt on one side, and then start cursing whoever has previously sheared the head off the bolt... Before stopping to take stock and realising that the other bolt is fixed from the opposite side of the bellhousing. 

1323465671_IMG_20200709_1558592.thumb.jpg.d306d0b5776a6145e9910f99ad55daf2.jpg

Undone and old starter removed. In doing so I took a step back and nudged the gazebo just enough to cascade water down my back and the back of my trousers. I miss my garage. 

On 7/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, richardmorris said:

Maybe - I'm looking at images on google. There seems to be a bonnet mascot and a V shaped badge on top of the radiator.

It's very pretty.

All the electricity has run away, our panel of experts say FIAT!

999LHOFIAT

Check another vehicle

ColourRed

Fuel typePetrol

Date registered11 January 1965

MOT expired on16 April 2019

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal.(Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.
Open All

MOT history

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested17 April 2018

PASS

Mileage65,352 km

MOT test number9804 3900 3602

Test location

View test location

Expiry date16 April 2019

Advisory notice item(s)

• Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1a)
 What are advisories?

Date tested14 April 2016

PASS

Mileage61,688 km

MOT test number3351 4212 3323

Test location

View test location

Expiry date13 April 2017

Date tested16 May 2014

PASS

Mileage60,077 km

MOT test number1273 9693 4181

Test location

View test location

Expiry date15 May 2015

Date tested27 June 2012

PASS

Mileage56,247 miles

MOT test number7666 2947 2166

Test location

View test location

Expiry date26 June 2013

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Axle king pin has slight play in pin and/or bush (2.5.A.3a)
 What are advisories?

Date tested6 April 2011

PASS

Mileage55,149 miles

MOT test number1762 1649 1469

Test location

View test location

Expiry date5 April 2012

Advisory notice item(s)

• Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1a)
  • Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
  • Nearside Axle king pin has slight play in pin and/or bush (2.5.A.3a)
 What are advisories?

20200707_155519.jpg

20200707_155529.jpg

20200707_155426.jpg

Yes that’s a Fiat otto vu. I saw one on my school trip to Italy in 1994. Most took pics of the colloseum etc, and to be fair I did too. I took far more pics of old cars though, although annoyingly I’ve mislaid the pics. 

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

insurance renewel with the aa £700... stuff that..... hastings direct £391..... just need them to confirm few details over the phone

Just rang up Hastings direct and added mondeo onto galaxy policy as multicar for extra 22quid a month, so both cars now 58 quid a month

Following on from the disappointing news that Ineos is no longer interested in building its Grenader in Wales there are rumours that a German company is in talks to open a factory in North Wales to build a retro city car. If it comes off they will be producing the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwryndrobwllllantysiliogogogogogomobil.

The nearby car badge manufacturer has already taken on more staff in anticipation.

Had the day off today for the crown to turn off the gas and change everyone’s meters. Sadly this did not happen as they hadn’t told everyone! So off at 8.40 and back on again at 8.45.

did the weekly shopping and trip to the bank. Pumped the tyres up on the Mercedes - all low despite looking ok, and blew a seal on my foot pump. £8 from Halfords twenty years ago! Then decided to start the 2cv for the first time since Easter. Battery a little slow turning the motor over, but once the fuel pumped through it started up ok. Not enough juice to power the indicators though until the revs were up from idle. I think I’ll take it to work one day next week for a run. 

I’m also getting the occasional burning oil smell in the Mercedes when stationary - seems to happen after braking to a stop when the engine is hot. Not all the time though, perhaps once every couple of journeys. My mechanic friend is coming to work on Monday to take a look. I’d guess that there’s a little oil leak from somewhere that is pooling and then dripping onto the hot exhaust. It’s not billowing smoke and there’s 7litres of oil in the engine so I’m not too worried.

Took the Transit out for the first time in months today. Old girl is retired and doesn't have to work for to make a living anymore, but still needs her legs stretched every now and then.

Got to compare it with the Polonez as I took the exact same scenic route from work as I did with the FSO yesterday. Seems to me like the suspension in the Transit is a bit more sporty. :D Definitely reacts quicker. Steering is also more direct.

That said, the Polonez, despite being ridiculously floaty (or maybe partially thanks to that), is a more peaceful drive.

IMG_20200710_150922.thumb.jpg.2390793b531a949a7e2cf3e47b6774c1.jpg

Obviously couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a photo with the old Transit rotting on the side of the road. Hopefully that sight will scare some reliability into our Ford. ;)

IMG_20200710_152033.thumb.jpg.6620c3b393b532bc43b50cc9fffdda37.jpg

Just now, N19 said:

The ebay seller said the part was correct. Indeed, part numbers are the same, but mounting points totally different. Am I going loopy?! 

I had a similar problem with the crankshaft mounted pulley for my 126. Idenitcal part number, yet the pulley everybody seemed to stock had differently spaced notches for ignition timing. Thought I'd go mad. Ended up having to shop calipers in hand to make sure I got the correct part.

1 hour ago, Borsuq said:

I had a similar problem with the crankshaft mounted pulley for my 126. Idenitcal part number, yet the pulley everybody seemed to stock had differently spaced notches for ignition timing. Thought I'd go mad. Ended up having to shop calipers in hand to make sure I got the correct part.

Eyeing other ones on ebay which seem to be correctly oriented. Not sure if it's worth kicking up a fuss over 25 quid, if the part numbers are the same then the guy has supplied it in good faith, even if it's the wrong part...

Oh well, got it back together with the old starter for now. It works, but needs percussive persuasion from time to time. A therapeutic couple of hours spannering, so went for a spin down the country lanes. 

IMG_20200710_201401.jpg

Whoever designed air wrenches and then thought it would be a clever idea to sell them to the knuckle dragging apes in fast fit tyre fit centres wants shooting for crimes against humanity. 

Not that I've thrown my back out trying to get the front wheels off the mg6 or anything... 20 stone of fat bastard swinging off a scaff bar and the fuckers are still solid, I've not even thought about touching the locking nuts.

48 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Whoever designed air wrenches and then thought it would be a clever idea to sell them to the knuckle dragging apes in fast fit tyre fit centres wants shooting for crimes against humanity. 

Not that I've thrown my back out trying to get the front wheels off the mg6 or anything... 20 stone of fat bastard swinging off a scaff bar and the fuckers are still solid, I've not even thought about touching the locking nuts.

I'll get my ex boss to come and give them a disciplinary for you, he's not done one for a couple of years since his dad sold up to Go Ahead Group ?