The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Wuvvum - I've lost the post to quote it, but it seriously sounds like you need one of those lithium-ion jump packs. I'd be lost without mine. Mine is one of these - started the Delica from proper flat no problem at all. I've used it loads. Also handy as an emergency 12v power outlet when you discover that your latest purchase has a broken ciggy lighter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iclever-20000mAH-Emergency-Cigarette-Flashlight-Yellow/dp/B076CR28C3 

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Posted on eBay tat by mistake earlier. Last entry of the day.

C9E25BCE-749B-4499-9307-7E5A1846F903.jpeg

probably the closest thing you will get to an Invacar from wherever it is you work LOL*

(going by your various high end car picture posts I assume you neighbour some sort of lots-o-money car handler or something such?)

makes me wonder if its a genuine one or a replica, the genuine ones go for proper £LOL these days

*granted an Invacar Model 70 ATW722L got sold (and exported) to a private car collector in Kuwait so who knows!

On 2/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LightBulbFun said:

ATW722L, Invacar, Date of first registration 9th of July 1973, Current status: exported to Kuwait otherwise unknown, Date of last V5C (logbook) issued, 18 October 2017

20190104_075115.jpg

22 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

probably the closest thing you will get to an Invacar from wherever it is you work LOL*

(going by your various high end car picture posts I assume you neighbour some sort of lots-o-money car handler or something such?)

makes me wonder if its a genuine one or a replica, the genuine ones go for proper £LOL these days....

Electric ones are available now, it seems.....

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Wuvvum - I've lost the post to quote it, but it seriously sounds like you need one of those lithium-ion jump packs. I'd be lost without mine. Mine is one of these - started the Delica from proper flat no problem at all. I've used it loads. Also handy as an emergency 12v power outlet when you discover that your latest purchase has a broken ciggy lighter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iclever-20000mAH-Emergency-Cigarette-Flashlight-Yellow/dp/B076CR28C3 

I had a cheapo eBay one for a while and it got me out of trouble a few times, but it didn't last very long - it's pretty much completely dead now.  I really should stop being so tight and invest in a half-decent one like that.

6 hours ago, jamiechod said:

Some chod in this smack the pony clip

Screenshot_20200708-003226_Facebook.jpg

I had one of those Corollas. Granted almost everyone in Ireland had one at some point they were so popular. 

Great car, it was the 1.6 and nothing ever went wrong with it. Mine was that colour too. 

Some of the job lot of CX parts have been passed on to another CX owner who lives in Clapham. He rocked up in a TRS 22 last night, in the rain, to take possession of the four alloys, a windscreen wiper motor and all of the interior and exterior trim. Not entirely sure what he's doing with the thing, but some of the central dash had been ripped out to accommodate a tablet, and I spotted an interesting steering wheel cradle carrying his iPhone. The steering wheel centre cap had also been replaced by a wooden block!

Meanwhile, no word from Garage Dubois-Loizou on whether the hoses I delivered on Monday were the correct ones......

4 hours ago, cort16 said:

I’ve been painting the wall in my lockup , something I’ve been meaning to do for 7 years. It looks a bit shit close up as the shite quality Breeze blocks have so many holes in them  but it hasn’t half made it brighter in there .

570B02B7-2E5D-4A82-892D-7F5C6C84FAAA.jpeg.3b49575bf3f4336f2547e0952005c4b7.jpeg

I convinced my neighbour to paint his garage as his bench was at the back , he was surprised how much lighter it was, then the owner passed away so now he's moving out. First thing he's doing in the other neighbours garage is painting it. 

I would paint mine but I don't have a spare month to clear all the crap and projects out first☹️

4 hours ago, cort16 said:

I’ve been painting the wall in my lockup , something I’ve been meaning to do for 7 years. It looks a bit shit close up as the shite quality Breeze blocks have so many holes in them  but it hasn’t half made it brighter in there .

Definitely one of the easiest ways to brighten up a lockup. I had to use two coats in mine, but it was much brighter and easier to work in. 

9 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I convinced my neighbour to paint his garage as his bench was at the back , he was surprised how much lighter it was, then the owner passed away so now he's moving out. First thing he's doing in the other neighbours garage is painting it. 

I would paint mine but I don't have a spare month to clear all the crap and projects out first☹️

I only decided to do it as I had a big clear up and moved some stuff around so had some space to do it. It was worth the 20 quid in paint to do it .

Worryingly there’s a massive crack In the wall as that I beam wasn’t sealed properly on the outside so it’s swollen up with rust cracking the wall .

My neighbours garages are in the same block, opposite side to mine, both of his ones have got a 3 inch lean on the back wall, they back onto gardens, by the looks of it the single skin brick wall isn't tied in to the breeze block dividing walls , those 8 garages might have plenty of light in them soon ?

5 hours ago, cort16 said:

Exactly the same issue I had with the breeze blocks but the difference is quite literally night and day.

IMG_20200609_093623.jpg

IMG_20200613_100539.jpg

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I couldn’t believe the difference when I went back in last night . I’ve only got 2 strip lights so It makes it much brighter .

Pity I didn’t have the right roller to help  to get all the holes in the blocks .

I started stippling the paint in with a brush and this escalated to a wild stabbing motion when that failed!

For lighting garages, I thoroughly 12 volt LED rope light like this. It's cheap, and can be connected to either a 12v power supply if you have power in the garage, or an old battery if you don't.

I had it on the ceiling of my old place in three rows, plus some above the workbench to light that up without casting shadows, plus a run about 1' off the ground on the wall to illuminate any low-level works. Really flexible, you can experiment before you decide where to put it, you can cut to length and solder connectors on, and dirt cheap (there are cheaper than the one I've linked to).

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I started stippling the paint in with a brush and this escalated to a wild stabbing motion when that failed!

Mine's been painted about 5 times over the last 20 years. It gets a little easier with each coat. I still use a 2" brush to paint it on and it's more like spreading plaster than brushing paint as thick as you can get it and try to fill up the holes in the blocks. Thankfully masonry paint is so thick it just sticks without running no matter how thick you spread it on. The first time around is the worst though, after that I've always just done small sections at a time so I don't get fed up with it, get sloppy and end up with paint everywhere!

Attended Southend Hospital's A&E department earlier today after the pain and mobility issues I've endured due to sciatica since early June became unbearable. I've been feeling terrible physically for weeks, but I put off seeking professional medical attention until today due to the current situation, as I perceived that there were other people in more need than myself: 

blergh.thumb.jpg.da5ddecc617de2e19a1a89191ccbc4d8.jpg

Diagnosis confirmed, painkillers and muscle relaxants prescribed (naproxen and diazepam. I also had a little bit of morphine at the hospital, which I'd never had before. It was nice), and I'm feeling much better already :)

A long weekend now beckons, as I'm taking tomorrow off regardless of what anyone says (I might be made redundant next month, so f*ck 'em). I'm wondering if I'll be able to do any car stuff, as I've not been able to do very much in recent weeks due to my condition. Both cars need a wash and The Aero needs an engine oil change.

#ThankYouNHS