The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Sorry the legacy is being a pain.  I had the stalling thing after I was advised to leave the battery disconnected to try to get the old stereo working and did the same as you to sort it.  The exhaust blow seemed to be really slight and didn't get any worse (or be worthy of mentioning on an MOT) all the time I had it.  

Definitely sounds like a garage scared off by a Subaru.

Which spring?

7 minutes ago, loserone said:

Sorry the legacy is being a pain.  I had the stalling thing after I was advised to leave the battery disconnected to try to get the old stereo working and did the same as you to sort it.  The exhaust blow seemed to be really slight and didn't get any worse (or be worthy of mentioning on an MOT) all the time I had it.  

Definitely sounds like a garage scared off by a Subaru.

Which spring?

Nah, its fine. Just service stuff really. Was the n/s/r spring.

The subframe was a worry, especially combined with the exhaust but they were both fine IMO. Panic over. 

I was shitting myself initially as the MOT was due today but I've got my Boris extension till December. Result. Gives me some breathing space. 

Exhaust blows not bad. I had noticed it a while back but its nothing excessive. Not like they suggested. 

The garage I used do classic rallying and probably go a bit OCD on shit with their own cars. When they see my old badly maintained clunkers they most likely have an aneurism. 

The Bluebird is in for MoT today, and also to have a new starter and reverse light switch fitted. I'm not a fan of getting the garage to do jobs that I am able to tackle, but realistically I'm pretty manically busy, all of my tools are in disarray following a house move and the only working space I have isn't the most convenient. And I'm reliant on it for transport to work. 

Nervous eye being kept on the check mot website... 

Dragged the volvo V50 over the line for its test - two blown parking bulbs i had not noticed were its only issue, replaced them and all was well in the world.

I quite like the car and its one of the better sh1tters i have owned, still needs a few bits doing so i think i will put a few bob into her and get it all sorted. I can think of the following:

- nearside front wheel bearing

- injector seals to stop the cabin filling with fumes

I'm sure theres a few more bits to do...

nct.png

Left the Polonez with a mechanic friend today to have a belt change done. Car was still on its 25 year old original cambelt so I thought it was worth doing. While he was in there the guy was supposed to replace the main seal and the camshaft seal, because there was some oil seepage from under the timing belt cover. When I picked the car up he'd only done the cambelt and the accessory drive belt since he reckons the seep from under the main seal isn't big enough to worry about. Hopefully this won't bite me in the arse down the road.

Luckily there might be a 2nd opprotunity to do the seals as I'm planning to convert it to a newer style cambelt from the Daewoo-FSO era, which is much less likely to jump teeth than the older one. Just need to find the newer style pulleys, which I guess would have been much easier 10 years ago when scrapyards were chock-full of those cars.

At least for now I've got the peace of mind that the timing belt is much less likely to snap on me.

1 hour ago, Borsuq said:

Left the Polonez with a mechanic friend today to have a belt change done. Car was still on its 25 year old original cambelt so I thought it was worth doing. While he was in there the guy was supposed to replace the main seal and the camshaft seal, because there was some oil seepage from under the timing belt cover. When I picked the car up he'd only done the cambelt and the accessory drive belt since he reckons the seep from under the main seal isn't big enough to worry about. Hopefully this won't bite me in the arse down the road.

Luckily there might be a 2nd opprotunity to do the seals as I'm planning to convert it to a newer style cambelt from the Daewoo-FSO era, which is much less likely to jump teeth than the older one. Just need to find the newer style pulleys, which I guess would have been much easier 10 years ago when scrapyards were chock-full of those cars.

At least for now I've got the peace of mind that the timing belt is much less likely to snap on me.

The original belt lasted 25 years but you want to change for a different type?

Picked up a beautiful set of slot mags for the Volvo 145 today, the guy I bought them from is restoring  a late Capri and apparently parts are really hard to get hold of. He had to have a bottom pulley for a Pinto specially made which I found amazing. 

I managed to fit a set of part worn tyres using only washing up liquid and a couple levers.. in fact one tyre was fitted just by standing on it.

I still need to track down a set of wheelnuts so I can actually fit them, plus a pair of centrecaps , any pointers? 

1F6E9D5E-FDAF-4A2F-B6D3-C358AD2AE28A.jpeg

5F518ABF-6EC8-4C28-8AE6-6C3BC2A5FE59.jpeg

The ML270 has had an elusive cold start issue for a few months,occasionally needing a good few churns on the starter but always ended up starting 

No codes logged,nothing amiss with the heater plugs and fuel pipes not showing any air bubbles,it drove fine as well

Untill yesterday anyway when it started surging at idle,dropping to less than 500revs or so then picking itself back up to 800ish. Managed to get it home where it refused to idle at all

Bit of investigation led me to think the fuel pressure regulator had died so managed to get 1 at a local parts suppliers. 

Sharing the part with the Sprinter van meant loads of brands on offer,from £40 chinesium to a proper Bosch for £90.

Changing it was a piece of piss,probably took longer to remove the engine plastics than swap the fpr itself. 

Started 1st time after it self-bled and it even sounds a bit smoother as a bonus

received_1443052565883531.jpeg

9 hours ago, GBJ said:

The original belt lasted 25 years but you want to change for a different type?

The newer type is just better. Even though in my case the older type cambelt lasted 25 years, the car's only done 35 thousand kilometres during that time. The biggest problem with those older type cambelts is they're prone to jumping teeth, which is why the newer style was introduced in the first place.

Fixed the 12v sockets on the Alfa today. I bought new ones, and after taking part of the dash apart it still didn't work ? Because the hand book says the Radio uses the same fuse, the radio works so it cant be the fuse, right? No. Because Alfa the hand book is wrong, the sockets have their own fuse. replace fuse, working sockets. Oh joy. Glad I went to check after only replacing one.

18 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Picked up a beautiful set of slot mags for the Volvo 145 today, the guy I bought them from is restoring  a late Capri and apparently parts are really hard to get hold of. He had to have a bottom pulley for a Pinto specially made which I found amazing. 

I managed to fit a set of part worn tyres using only washing up liquid and a couple levers.. in fact one tyre was fitted just by standing on it.

I still need to track down a set of wheelnuts so I can actually fit them, plus a pair of centrecaps , any pointers? 

1F6E9D5E-FDAF-4A2F-B6D3-C358AD2AE28A.jpeg

5F518ABF-6EC8-4C28-8AE6-6C3BC2A5FE59.jpeg

VOLVO 145???  Is there a thread, I  have missed this.

We've been getting a lot of tiny brown moths in the living room lately.  We'd been trying to find where on earth they were coming from to no avail until today when we spotted a little hole in the bottom corner of a run of wallpaper.  Turns out, the moths, or the caterpillars, maybe both, had been living behind the wallpaper in the corner where there was an air gap.  On the plus side, we now know the wallpaper in the living room is going to come off really easily at least and hopefully now we won't keep having a dozen or so moths wobbling around the place every time we turn the light on.

Afternoon all, problem with my Senator this morning. After coming down a long steepish hill, started to drive up a long pull. Car seemed down on power-then I could smell brakes overheating. Pulled in expecting a sticking caliper, but discovered all calipers and wheels were extremely hot and a bit of smoke about! The brakes were on. Turned engine off-gave the Master cylinder a wack and drove it home about 7 miles-seemed ok-although wheels still hot but no lack of performance or smell. Dodgy master cylinder??

I made a feeble attempt to move the Granada out it’s lockup today to my lockup with power and toole . The battery is deed and I had ordered a legit flat post battery from eBay but they cancelled my order so to some weak sounding excuse to do with my postcode .

I attempted to jump start it from my Citroen but  don’t think the shite leads I have are man enough for the job as it cranked slowly and the leads got really hot. I just about did a hernia blood vessel combo pushing it back in the garage 
I then went to get the Megane as the DS has a really shit setup for jump starting but found it was blocked into the garage . 

I then went home and ordered a normal round post battery and a square post adaptor.

out the house 2 hrs achieved the square root of fuck all.

7 hours ago, andyberg said:

Fixed the 12v sockets on the Alfa today. I bought new ones, and after taking part of the dash apart it still didn't work ? Because the hand book says the Radio uses the same fuse, the radio works so it cant be the fuse, right? No. Because Alfa the hand book is wrong, the sockets have their own fuse. replace fuse, working sockets. Oh joy. Glad I went to check after only replacing one.

Yes, the fuse guide in the 166 handbook bears little resemblance to the circuits which are actually protected.  Or rather they sort of do, but some circuits can have more than one fuse, and you have to take a stab at which one it's going to be.  Only other car I've had with the same issue was an Audi A3 - the speedo didn't work when I bought it, I checked all the instrument-related fuses and they were fine.  The reversing lights weren't working though so replaced the fuse for those and it brought the speedo back to life.

Spoiler

I broke this toe in November. As the nail has been growing out, part of it has doubled up, and there was a physical gap between the two layers.

The top layer separated from the side, just before. So I thought it wise to remove it, before my socks do.

Enjoy your supper.

246FEFCD-6D77-42DB-95E6-696A0FE77AE3.jpeg

3779C42E-A336-4F08-9D56-10329F8AE06D.jpeg

9AEB5355-F895-4E80-96BF-FA6780525016.jpeg

C7AD96D1-61BB-4089-88B5-84FD491083CD.png