The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, sims00 said:

New upgraded rear wiper arm/blade fitted. Looks a million times better and really suits the car, old one has been binned. Popped in some subtle LED number plate lights too and changed the reverse lightbulb. Noticed it was out the other day and it's the easiest thing, you push in a tang and it pops out. It still said motorcraft on so possibly the original or just a dealer visit. Fully working now.

IMG_20200623_105836.jpg

Lol! Take the 'C' and '04' out of the plate and its message is clear ?

1 hour ago, gm said:

I had to nip to the bank in Newcastle yesterday so parked (for free, thanks tescos) in Gateshead and walked over the bridge into town, spotting this on the way

IMG_2468.thumb.JPG.1a3a2e1cfa7cdcb0d2375878b4a1c8d6.JPG

IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.12e29ba9b2a41e4f566ca27e3d63361c.JPG

looks like it could be closed down but, by the time I'd come back, the doors were open and fettling was going on, disappointingly no reliants were visible, only boring normal cars :( 

Did you enquire about the services from £19.99 ?

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

Oddly enough I came here to post just the same thing. I'm not sure if it was to do with the presence of the importers being in town back then, but there were a lot of Volvo taxis in town in the 1980s and '90s.

I looked up the MoT history, looks as if the speedo stopped working some years ago - if he's doing 20k a year (which seems low) it must've done over 400,000 by now.

2 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I've seen that Volvo taxi several times when I've been in Ipswich. If The Volvo is anything to go by, its exhaust emissions will be negligible. 

If yer man wants to annoy the Council properly, he should get hold of a Volvo 144/164 and submit that for their consideration.....

Looked out of my workshop window at about 8am to see a couple of coppers with what I thought was a speed trap, but what turned out to be a stinger.

One thumbs-up the other (hiding behind a tree) and slung it under a passing pikey van, and unfortunately also under a passing builders transit.

The pikey was arrested, and the builders moped around moaning about their 4 fresh punctures the repair/towing of which the police took about 3 hours to arrange.

Quite exciting!

20200623_083317.jpg

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

That's a shame. I always liked seeing that around Ipswich. I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice if he was able to carry on with it.

1 hour ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Looked out of my workshop window at about 8am to see a couple of coppers with what I thought was a speed trap, but what turned out to be a stinger.

One thumbs-up the other (hiding behind a tree) and slung it under a passing pikey van, and unfortunately also under a passing builders transit.

The pikey was arrested, and the builders moped around moaning about their 4 fresh punctures the repair/towing of which the police took about 3 hours to arrange.

Quite exciting!

20200623_083317.jpg

Such a good feeling when it's a good sting! Cake fine though for the innocent transit 

I made a gate to keep a horse where it should be. Designed specifically for this one (Olly)

who likes to paw, or should that be hoof, at the gate. With this one his hoof just slides

down it and causes minimal damage to both participants and now he can see through

it he may do it less. Job jobbied.

DSC00885.JPG

Just renewed insurance on the shalaxy with hastings direct fully competitive, 2 years NBC, for me and missus £424, we not co inhabiting yet and shes 11 years my junior.. didnt price was too bad..considering year AA wanted 1k..

Edited by stuboy
Cause I'm stupid

1 hour ago, puddlethumper said:

I made a gate to keep a horse where it should be. Designed specifically for this one (Olly)

who likes to paw, or should that be hoof, at the gate. With this one his hoof just slides

down it and causes minimal damage to both participants and now he can see through

DSC00885.JPG

You did well to get hold of polycarbonate sheet at this time.  Covid-panicced retail has bought most of it for germ-screens.

My neighbor has been puttering up and down the street in his Model A. It's gone back to firing on 3 under load so it's got a duff plug most likely. He has a few spares so that's good. 

Apparently the washer for the condenser goes on the other side of the screw- I couldn't get it to fit like that but eh. It disintegrated and shorted the ignition out and brought the car to a halt. He fixed that and took it out for a spin then the ammeter caught fire.

Now the voltage regulator isn't (probably why the ammeter went pop) so that needs looking at.

Fun times. I'm glad he's happy to take it back out and about again though.

Phil

7 minutes ago, PhilA said:

My neighbor has been puttering up and down the street in his Model A. It's gone back to firing on 3 under load so it's got a duff plug most likely. He has a few spares so that's good. 

Apparently the washer for the condenser goes on the other side of the screw- I couldn't get it to fit like that but eh. It disintegrated and shorted the ignition out and brought the car to a halt. He fixed that and took it out for a spin then the ammeter caught fire.

Now the voltage regulator isn't (probably why the ammeter went pop) so that needs looking at.

Phil

pics or this is fairytales and YOUVE bought another car :P:D

33 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Phil

Have you read Tim Moore’s book on crossing the USA in a model T? He’s rescued by some model A folk at one point,

8 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Have you read Tim Moore’s book on crossing the USA in a model T? He’s rescued by some model A folk at one point,

I have not, no. The A is a massive leap in terms of engineering and operation compared to the T, also.

Just now, PhilA said:

I have not, no.

It’s a roller coaster ride, but slowly! He also used to lurk on this forum- and we got a credit in one of his books too. 

Tries crossing the country using period roads. Parkland routes and visits the ford factories en-route.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Fine-Mess-Tim-Moore-ebook/dp/B07H4CBPDM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2ZVFSRUI9GW5V&dchild=1&keywords=tim+moore&qid=1593018906&sprefix=Tim+moore%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-2

4 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

DSC00885.JPG

On the other hand he may work out a way of opening the gate.....

Today we have been to Whitby for a run out,cos its hot,and we haven't been anywhere in months, and also cos its an excuse to go and have a drive in Rodney Mini.

1723263379_2020-06-2413_54_17.thumb.jpg.16a7ee4a15187a6e4209a0f89b447e2f.jpg

1463542160_2020-06-2412_54_28.thumb.jpg.c035779623de128d2a60812874cfd248.jpg

431827820_2020-06-2412_54_54.thumb.jpg.047d587841ab7606765b1590ceff37ce.jpg
Sat by the market place in the old town, who do we see, but a couple of fellas we used to work with, but have not seen in months.Even before we were all under house arrest. Which was nice. Glad to see that they are all ok.
Also the council have decided to do "one way"over the swing bridge. which is a pretty good idea,shame then that loads of idiot tourists were just ignoring it. Plus i don't ever think i've seen the tide so far out in the harbour.

2135055059_2020-06-2413_48_41.thumb.jpg.88b093e0c4ade955429da3bb8336abfa.jpg

663340603_2020-06-2413_48_22.thumb.jpg.bea5c88c634eb29e383bc0156e625567.jpg

Still we did see that quite a lot of the shops were still closed, which is i think not such a bad thing. Even if it means that i cannot go and buy some more second hand toy cars from Alan,so not all bad!! Well that is what my wallet was thinking anyway.
We then went down the road to Scarborough, and kinda wished we had not. the place was heaving, just like a bank holiday weekend, though it seems that the sea front was exactly the same here at home.
Still nice to get out of the house for a while, and see Kenny and co. and get to drive that little car some more!