The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

RamAir cone type foam air filter has arrived. This comes with a converter plate so that can be fixed to the L-Jetronic AFM on the CX.

Am going to try this on the basis that anything has got to be better than that inaccessible rusting box that Citroën calls an air filter.

I've used Ramair to good effect on a few things including the Locost and Clio 182. Seems decent quality and decent price which is always good.

4 hours ago, iainrcz said:

I decided a Malian was what I needed.
Looked nice, YouTube vids sounded ok.

Got it, fitted it.... Found out it sounded like some fucker playing a trombone down a megaphone. The volume on cold starts, Christ you could hear it from a neighbouting town.
The drone inside at a certain speed was horrible. There must be nothing in those silencers.

Plus it never really fitted properly.

I now have a non resonated Milltek, it now actually sounds like a sports car.
c7c38797d9dcd18148a1db2eb60990a3.jpg

Got a Milltek on the S4. Not cheap but it makes it sound like a V8,  unlike the standard system which is too quiet. Keep searching for a centre box delete which they make to make it even noisier but not found one for sensible money yet.

2 minutes ago, dome said:

I've used Ramair to good effect on a few things including the Locost and Clio 182. Seems decent quality and decent price which is always good.

That's encouraging. All I need is a suitable heat shield / intake box for it that will fit into the very limited space that a CX has behind the offside headlight.

9 hours ago, rusty998 said:

I will need to dig the welder out for this purchase,  deposit left and hopefully should be at Rusty towers in a couple of weeks 20200620_123500.thumb.jpg.e07e2124c41fcb6a6f8d9ce9f71994a3.jpg20200620_123512.thumb.jpg.771a132af192ab3947bff3fbcb5a9227.jpg20200620_123525.thumb.jpg.38bc0ad41347c39129b3131995117423.jpg20200620_123540.thumb.jpg.d81c40af2c3eedd1936eb70cb47ef3d0.jpg

1275cc low mileage, not to bad body wise but will need some welding,  paint, oil seals and an M,O,T 

Formerly owned by @garycox of this parish!

The problem with this car is that now the others aren't getting driven enough!

IMG_20200619_151425.thumb.jpg.7991398e4930335bb91073e4e3e23997.jpg

So I took the Audi up to my brothers bit in Stirling today to meet in his garden, top down of course! It seemed to enjoy it, even the temperature guage started working again for a bit!

Got my zx estate from detailing it. Removing all the grime of it has revealed the horizontal surfaces to have the typical Citroen laquer. Thankfully it's not too bad and hopefully the treatment applied will halt any more degradation for a while yet. Look at that shine though, well chuffed!

IMG_20200621_144009.thumb.jpg.dbbce0fe4be1df6a0001b17220297563.jpgIMG_20200621_145125.thumb.jpg.ea442c40ee56ce941b1073d29ef59132.jpgIMG_20200621_144023.thumb.jpg.37470f7298a8c513530151446a4b64b4.jpg

Decided to try out the free set of 15" Vauxhall wheel trims kindly provided by @TheDoctor on our Zafira.
Compare and contrast.

The old:

20200621_153203.thumb.jpg.af56143bfba0be28e63258f0e5262b01.jpg

20200621_152422.thumb.jpg.6cca6032cbc576fe6fc0ad08092cb9bd.jpg

Original trims. Twenty years old and fitted to the car from new. Bit scuffed but generally not in bad condition considering their age. Vauhall griffin logo in the centre is actually a sticker which makes then easy to clean but a couple of them have had to be restuck, although fortunately none have gone missing. The valve cutouts are rather obvious.

The new (well actually second hand but new to this car):

20200621_153439.thumb.jpg.34440d0f09ca8c76f10ce4dd1e72e65c.jpg

20200621_151603.thumb.jpg.d26b77725a9de383ad40ac9a2cd970f6.jpg

Genuine Vauxhall with proper moulded griffin logo in the centre. The valve cutouts are much less obvious. Must be from a newer car but may well have been standard fit on a later model Zafira or Astra.

New ones look quite smart but are probably more difficult to clean than the old smooth ones, particularly the centre logo, and obviously compromise the originality of the car, which is otherwise pretty much as it left the factory.
Can't decide which look better so I will probably leave the new ones on for a while until I get used to / fed up with them.

Anyone have any thoughts / opinions?

8 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Decided to try out the free set of 15" Vauxhall wheel trims kindly provided by @TheDoctor on our Zafira.
Compare and contrast.

The old:

20200621_153203.thumb.jpg.af56143bfba0be28e63258f0e5262b01.jpg

20200621_152422.thumb.jpg.6cca6032cbc576fe6fc0ad08092cb9bd.jpg

Original trims. Twenty years old and fitted to the car from new. Bit scuffed but generally not in bad condition considering their age. Vauhall griffin logo in the centre is actually a sticker which makes then easy to clean but a couple of them have had to be restuck, although fortunately none have gone missing. The valve cutouts are rather obvious.

The new (well actually second hand but new to this car):

20200621_153439.thumb.jpg.34440d0f09ca8c76f10ce4dd1e72e65c.jpg

20200621_151603.thumb.jpg.d26b77725a9de383ad40ac9a2cd970f6.jpg

Genuine Vauxhall with proper moulded griffin logo in the centre. The valve cutouts are much less obvious. Must be from a newer car but may well have been standard fit on a later model Zafira or Astra.

New ones look quite smart but are probably more difficult to clean than the old smooth ones, particularly the centre logo, and obviously compromise the originality of the car, which is otherwise pretty much as it left the factory.
Can't decide which look better so I will probably leave the new ones on for a while until I get used to / fed up with them.

Anyone have any thoughts / opinions?

I think the new ones refresh/modernise it a bit, but like you say, it's difficult to choose. 

Ps. They are from a newish Corsa. 

@dean36014

That ZX looks incredible. I would be so pleased with that.

I took the Laguna to Andover station today, give it a 10 mile run to keep everything lubricated. The drive there was a bit dull but the drive back was quite invigorating. Ended up accidentally* getting in a race with a newish SLK350 down the slip road. Obviously he beat me, but I was ahead for a little while. I think this Laguna is probably the best wolf in sheeps clothing I have owned.  

23 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Do tell us more about both of those!

It's all the dogs fault...

I pass the X300 looking pretty sorry for itself whilst walking the mutt. I know the chap who stays next door so enquired and was told"He wants rid and there's another in the garage".

Yesterday I got the chance to have a look at them. Both are 3.2s. The X300 has been off the road for 3 years and started regularly, it's done just over 70k. It's got a lot of lacquer peel but from a brief glance underneath looked crusty but solid.

The XJ40 has been in there for 18 years apparently. Povvo spec on wheel trims!  I couldn't really get under it but what I could see looked OK. 

I'd love to resurrect both. I'd sell the X300 on once roadworthy and keep the XJ40. For a bit at least. Negotiations are ongoing. Stay tuned...

39 minutes ago, dome said:

It's all the dogs fault...

I pass the X300 looking pretty sorry for itself whilst walking the mutt. I know the chap who stays next door so enquired and was told"He wants rid and there's another in the garage".

Yesterday I got the chance to have a look at them. Both are 3.2s. The X300 has been off the road for 3 years and started regularly, it's done just over 70k. It's got a lot of lacquer peel but from a brief glance underneath looked crusty but solid.

The XJ40 has been in there for 18 years apparently. Povvo spec on wheel trims!  I couldn't really get under it but what I could see looked OK. 

I'd love to resurrect both. I'd sell the X300 on once roadworthy and keep the XJ40. For a bit at least. Negotiations are ongoing. Stay tuned...

In the harsh light of day the X300 would have to be very cheap to be worth it. You can get a decent, up and running example for not many £, so be careful. The only exception is if you see a manual transmission in either, then they become much more interesting, but that is pretty unlikely. They can hide very bad rust and XJ40/X300s suffer very badly by sitting.

49 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

In the harsh light of day the X300 would have to be very cheap to be worth it. You can get a decent, up and running example for not many £, so be careful. The only exception is if you see a manual transmission in either, then they become much more interesting, but that is pretty unlikely. They can hide very bad rust and XJ40/X300s suffer very badly by sitting.

Thanks for that. Both are autos. I couldn't get underneath either properly so will have fun* finding out if I get them. 

Didn't go for a proper drive this weekend as had the in-laws around. Did drive up to Burnham on sea this evening though. Forgot how rundown parts of the front are. If I had black and white vision, I'd thought it would be the 1960s. Almost charming the way it is!

Also realised I really need another fun modern toy in my life. Most likely Clio 182 shaped... However the Laguna definitely would need to go. Hmmmm

Getting fed up of the 1100 on stands too. Want to go for a drive in it!

8 minutes ago, HMC said:

Took the fiesta for a drive on the moor. The 1.25 engine is brilliant, very happy to be revved and apart from some suspension bush noises it’s a pleasure to Chuck about.

Plenty of slightly questionable driving was done with in a mates sad face Fiesta with that Yamaha engine in it! Probably feel slow now but back when I was 17/18, the way it revved made it feel super quick. 

In 2 years and 25k miles, he did manage to get through 3 clutches and 2 hand brake cables.... Poor thing. 

I'm probably mental but i put the Granada on ebay last night, I'm not really using due to this virus and i was never planning on keeping it so thought I'd try selling it now whilst the weather is nice and it be worth more than in the winter when no one wants old cars, I've had several emails etc but tonight I had a good offer on it and pending a payment it might be going up north.

The Marina might be next for the chop ? I''m not not sure yet but as lovely as the car is and I know i'll never find another car in that condition i really want something a little more exciting to drive which has rear seat belts and is also tax exempt (it's much easier to live with and insurance is cheaper too!) and want to use the money from both cars to pay for it.