The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, hairnet said:

ive only ever seen one of those in the flesh - at terenure in ireland the merc oc there does a display - 5 years ive been waiting to go back and hopefully see it again - nice grey one.................

It looked very nice, slightly shabby but no harm in that is there. Sadly I expect it will not stay this way.

6 hours ago, brownnova said:

Oooh another lovely purchase Rob!! You certainly find some exquisite motor cars! 

This! Very much this.

7 hours ago, RobT said:

Tried to resist but done it again.

20200615_183216.thumb.jpg.23a1b205cde78e8168fec05297aced88.jpg

It's a local car and a regular spot, so when bramz told me it's for sale (yes it's his fault) I had a crisis.

20200615_184306.thumb.jpg.a3c95f6ff39fc6142514a9bc28c2e0a7.jpg

As Skizzer calls it, the carehome dayroom dazzle interior.  It's lovely and almost immaculate.  The outside is a bit frilly, but it is an old Vauxhall after all.

However, after the 2 mile drive home this greeted me.  Didn't notice it on the test drive...

20200615_184535.thumb.jpg.34ced7ee65e51ea000cc179fb4a6e0f7.jpg

Pinhole leak in the body of the radiator pissing out, so hopefully some JB Weld will fix that.  Otherwise I'm very happy with it.  I'll have a proper go over it tomorrow evening, which is something I should have done before buying it, but I never learn!

I am SO glad this has joined the family, it is a truly magnificent looking car, minor jets of stray coolant aside.

I knew we could count on you Rob. 

On 6/13/2020 at 10:18 PM, Ghosty said:

I got 2 miles then pulled into a layby to organise myself, take some pictures and what have you. But turning the key - nothing. The electric windows stopped working, as did the central locking (but I think that's down to bodgy wiring). No dead fuses and battery seemed healthy, but nothing at all from the starter. 
205s regularly used to have issues with the starter trigger wire. Age and heat etc upped resistance in the wire, meaning that it would often fail to get enough oomph to the starter solenoid (especially when trying to start when engine hot).

The fix is to run a short wire direct from positive battery terminal through a relay that is switched by the original starter trigger wire from the ignition switch.

———————————-
I called the seller and he was surprised, I told him where I was and about five minutes later he arrived in a careworn 406 HDi estate. He hit the starter with a hammer and chisel, to no avail, had a nose around the fuses and relays too but again found nothing. Somewhere in the midst of this the electric windows decided to work, so I closed the open window I'd been advised not to more than half open. The jury is out on whether the leccy windows are factory or bodged in, there are caps...

—————-

See above for the possible starting issue.

The window winder caps are original factory. The leccy windows on 205s we’re always a bit wobbly-feeling!

Given the Ignis a quick vacuuming, first time this year.

54D1C80F-1240-4E48-A2D2-1789DC9B73B6.thumb.jpeg.fcb34c3e46949ab0a29b3b828bb8995b.jpeg

I may have to go all Jim Bell and get some mats for it. Passenger front and both rears are fitted, possibly original, driver’s one is from something else and now has started sliding around, so that will be binned before long no doubt.

I have noticed this car is very sensitive to tyre pressures; even 1psi out and she feels a bit squiffy.

Went to U-Pull-It. The 205 wasn't there. Asked at the office and it's not been put out yet, so I'm going to phone them in a couple of days and plan to head back. 

However there were some C30s in, so I snagged myself some tailored factory fit floor mats, boot carpeting and trim in better condition, and one other thing - a centre console. 
C30s have the floating 'waterfall' panel for the radio, heater etc, and standard ones are brushed metal. Mine is battered to fuck. R-Design ones are slightly darker in colour and have a cool finish. Google image: 
20151125_102307_resized.jpg
On all but the earliest C30s there's a second piece of trim on the centre console, and on one of the C30s, an R-Design, someone had broken that one trying to remove it. 
I have an early C30 and don't need the centre console trim so I snagged myself the waterfall panel to swap into mine. 

£20 the lot. :D 

18 hours ago, RobT said:

Tried to resist but done it again.

20200615_183216.thumb.jpg.23a1b205cde78e8168fec05297aced88.jpg

It's a local car and a regular spot, so when bramz told me it's for sale (yes it's his fault) I had a crisis.

20200615_184306.thumb.jpg.a3c95f6ff39fc6142514a9bc28c2e0a7.jpg

As Skizzer calls it, the carehome dayroom dazzle interior.  It's lovely and almost immaculate.  The outside is a bit frilly, but it is an old Vauxhall after all.

However, after the 2 mile drive home this greeted me.  Didn't notice it on the test drive...

20200615_184535.thumb.jpg.34ced7ee65e51ea000cc179fb4a6e0f7.jpg

Pinhole leak in the body of the radiator pissing out, so hopefully some JB Weld will fix that.  Otherwise I'm very happy with it.  I'll have a proper go over it tomorrow evening, which is something I should have done before buying it, but I never learn!

I had one of those...…………….........……..front inner wings ( shudders ) goes off crying

On 6/15/2020 at 9:03 AM, BeEP said:

...quite!  Polo below belongs to a friend; needed the headlamp unit replacing which was yesterday morning's job.  Actually not too bad to do, but it does remind me how the world of car design lost the plot around the turn of the century,

1115540338_Seranspolo1.thumb.JPG.6da4390be530bb7d6ade0ef12173ba7f.JPG

Maybe I was being a bit unfair.  As commented on in my cars thread, the black 1800 needs the clutch release bearing replaced.  So today this happened:

1532739821_enginebay.thumb.jpg.40cba393cb32e7e5ab7a40e006dbeeb5.jpg

1142192154_engineremoved3.thumb.jpg.4ff1a4cef557380f74dcde20af27ce7a.jpg

14 minutes ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

Current vehicular status:-

1982 Mercedes 508d Camper. 

1992 Peugeot 205 STDT.

1996 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0.

2005 Peugeot Expert Combi 110 HDI.

I have no need for any other vehicles.

Finally, I'm happy with my fleet!

Any pics on here of the camper? I love these old things! 

There's a whole thread somewhere on here about it, haven't updated it for a long time as there wasn't much interest.

Suffered engine failure last year but is definitely getting another one fitted.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://autoshite.com/topic/32168-1982-mercedes-508d-lwb-going-green-for-the-future/&ved=2ahUKEwjd2caQhYfqAhUYh1wKHc24DuMQFjALegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2UNhi-jYIV0sDoFxVHKPHb&cshid=1592334787985

ETA link.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

There's a whole thread somewhere on here about it, haven't updated it for a long time as there wasn't much interest.

Suffered engine failure last year but is definitely getting another one fitted.

Including one of the most ballsy (or mad depending on your point of view) collections ever to have happened as I recall!

I for one was definitely following with great interest.

The PRT thermostat arrived for the TF yesterday so managed to get some time this afternoon to get a look at fitting it. Internet wisdom has lots of different ways that people have applied the modification, front mounted remote appears to be an easy install but problematic for bleeding as the PRT should sit upright (rather than flat). 
My preference was to mimic the install of the later TF that was equipped with PRT from new. This way reverses the flow through the radiator, but as long at the system is pressurised and the water pump is good then no worries. 
Working in the TF engine bay is a challenge, as many here will know. A small change to keep heater flow correct and the cooling system was bled, pressure tested and bled again. I’m chuffed with the result, engine ran up to temperature and fan cut in at 105 degrees and stopped at 96. 
Coolant level didn’t drop and no bubbles in the expansion tank, I can say the MG TF lives!

Old hoses;

12FDD0F9-5D66-450C-94D3-1FD9E153CBF3.thumb.jpeg.0a9eca6da6e2a7bbfd251a53bb7d0cf0.jpeg

New PRT set-up;

96A651EF-535B-43B4-9639-1034C62CA964.thumb.jpeg.f48530cf2f51497c7fd6a43c3e3963fc.jpeg

So I have this arrival that I have been using and it's taken me a while to get used to petrol again. The Mondeo has been sold to a very nice man privately and rather easily too. The focus is lovely. Drives superbly although, the one gripe I've had about these MK1 focus, is that the driving position is odd. I've managed to position it to a decent amount so it's fine and it really does drive amazingly well. The power and torque has taken me by surprise. Will regas the Aircon and fit a better stereo and enjoy it for now. 

IMG_20200616_071904.jpg