The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 6/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, Andyrew said:

No, just no.

20200610_165605.thumb.jpg.845cdb03414d1271d8c8773b3358e2ae.jpg

Haha, I've seen worse...

screw_10.jpg

No car horror wiring pics to hand, but I recall one silly-billy trying to replace his corroded main positive battery wire with speaker cable, despite me telling him it needed to be a bit higher current wire than that.

Him: turns key

Car: click-hiss, clouds of smoke

Was a brush painted Cortina Mk2 1.6, a banger back in 1983

Focus had a hissy fit today when I tried to start it. Generally popping, farting, misfiring etc. Was ok once it warmed up a bit. 

I took it for a run, and it seemed ok. What do we recon, failing coil pack?

image.png.ced486e02e264c4631a5f72213bea4a8.png

See? Legit D Turbo. 

Looking at the spec of it (metallic(?) paint, sports steering wheel, sports seats, GTI front bumper, driving lights, full size leccy sunroof, central locking) only backs it up, it's basically a moredoor STDT. 
Cash withdrawn, train tickets booked, I'm doing my packing, it's almost collection time. 

In other news there was a hit and run outside work today, where a van pulled out of a parking space without looking and slammed an A-Class into a Jazz belonging to the motorbike mechanic next door, before fucking off with a flat tyre. A-Class now needs a new nose, and Jazz a couple of doors... C30 was safe, luckily. 

On 6/11/2020 at 3:16 PM, anonymous user said:

That's a dangerous thing to say to someone on here  they might take you up on it sooner than you expected. Very happy doing business 

IMG_77901.jpg

20200611_150422.jpg

Well bought.

It's certainly different to the grumpy looking Picanto  behind it !

I look forward to the updates.

18 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Well bought.

It's certainly different to the grumpy looking Picanto  behind it !

I look forward to the updates.

It's more comfortable than the Picanto.

Although today I was driving this which is less comfortable than the Picanto 

20200612_124203.jpg

I wish I had a wider drive, it's a bugger when you want the one at the back.

27 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

It's more comfortable than the Picanto.

Although today I was driving this which is less comfortable than the Picanto 

20200612_124203.jpg

I wish I had a wider drive, it's a bugger when you want the one at the back.

I have a Picanto like that. Is it the seats or ride (or both) that are better in the VDP ?

I bid up to £4550 on this today and lost it by £100. 

Screenshot_20200612_160522_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.28f1a4c7d099652beb08c5eb1a95af7b.jpg

I was winning until the last minute. Bit gutted now, though to be fair I don't know what the other person's limit was. It could have taken a lot more to outbid them. I'll never know now. This is also over double the highest I've ever paid for a car. And there were only six average photos so I don't really know what I was bidding on so maybe it was for the best. Look at it though. I so want it. 

5 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Screenshot_20200612_160522_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.28f1a4c7d099652beb08c5eb1a95af7b.jpg

I was winning until the last minute. Bit gutted now, though to be fair I don't know what the other person's limit was. It could have taken a lot more to outbid them. I'll never know now. This is also over double the highest I've ever paid for a car. And there were only six average photos so I don't really know what I was bidding on so maybe it was for the best. Look at it though. I so want it. 

I spotted that, no idea what it was that I was looking for at the time. Seems like it's owned by someone who wants to go back to an air-cooled VW. Surprisingly it looks sympathetically modified.

18 minutes ago, Yoss said:

..... to be fair I don't know what the other person's limit was. It could have taken a lot more to outbid them. ....

I usually try to find out what their upper limit is, without actually outbidding them. After all, if they want it badly enough, let them pay more for it.

8 hours ago, Yoss said:

It's been on Facebook for a few weeks as he wanted to swap for an aircooled vw.  Don't know if this link will work but may be more info/pics here. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/176346209207816?view=permalink&id=1647365078772581

I love it! 

House move today. If I wanted to suspend the parking bay outside my old flat, I'd have to pay the Council £99.50, for three cones and an Official Notice. But the best bit is, if somebody comes along and parks in the suspended bay, they won't move them. They'll come and slap a ticket for themselves on... But won't move the vehicle. 

So, save myself a ton for the same effect... Three cones borrowed, and nobody parked there. 

A different type of rwd Ford to the type I'm used to, and a substitution for the usual banana engine transit that I hire, but it's very good spec and a nice drive. 

IMG_20200612_145653.jpg

^^ Well if he was letting the market find the value he was pretty much spot on. 

I didn't need it, I have three cars already, all of which need attention, it just caught my eye and by the end of the listing I'd convinced myself I had to have it. There'll be others, these things usually pop up when you're looking for something else entirely. 

9 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I usually try to find out what their upper limit is, without actually outbidding them. After all, if they want it badly enough, let them pay more for it.

How do you do that ? 

Folks,

Don't be tempted by car roffles on Facebook unless it's a proper National Lottery Bonus Ball with the live You Tube footage.

I paid £20 for a roffle for a Mini but it was based on 100 numbers and a random number generator.

Despite tagging me and lots of others when it was time to pay, conveniently Facebook wouldn't let the 'owner' tag everyone when the 'draw' took place so there is absolutely no evidence of what number was actually drawn.

Someone let slip on the comments who actually won and lo and behold it was a guy with the same surname living in the same town, who also happens to sell a few cars on the side. So it's fair to conclude that both brothers have some sort of small time car sales business between them on the side.

Basically the 2 brothers still have the car between them, got the full asking price and nobody can prove anything.

I think my head buttons up the back :(

1 hour ago, New POD said:

How do you do that ? 

One giveaway clue is if your leading bidder has put in several protective bids in order to put as much distance between him and the chasing pack. All you need to do is bid repeatedly whilst checking to see how many of those protective bids you have exceeded. You then pull out when there's only the other fella's top bid left. It's great craic once you get the hang of it!

4 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

One giveaway clue is if your leading bidder has put in several protective bids in order to put as much distance between him and the chasing pack. All you need to do is bid repeatedly whilst checking to see how many of those protective bids you have exceeded. You then pull out when there's only the other fella's top bid left. It's great craic once you get the hang of it!

It'll be ok until high bidder cancels their bid and you're left having a high bid in excess of what was needed.  

My daily passed it's test this morning with no advisories, preparation was limited to emery taping and copaslipping a front brake pipe although it's just had pads and discs on the front. Genuine MB bits were the same delivered as all but the cheapest ECP. I'll do the pipe when I service it soon, the heat shield will have come out from around the bulkhead so ball ache.

Here it is among the fag ends in a damp car park. 

1525439500_June2020036.thumb.jpg.05ce5f2fded1f300374f8cea20660768.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

You can do the same.

A Merc SEC sold near me recently and the high bidder cancelled his bids in the last minute leaving leaving the auction winner having paid £400 more than needed to beat the next bid.  I wouldn't be paying, it's either the sellers mate or just a fucking shit trick.

Finished the garage.

IMG_20200613_100539.thumb.jpg.d71a8425382cdf69d27092108216b192.jpg

2 racks, a workbench and 16 doocots for sundries, latter still to be fitted. There's much more room now and I'm fairly sure the Audi would still fit in too. Fence sprayer is going to my neighbour.

IMG_20200613_102456.thumb.jpg.a21e278e87b311d2577933ee6719d0b1.jpg

Corsa doesn't sound very good but I guess it's not been  driven for ages and sounds are amplified with the car being nose in to the garage. Regular driving will probably fix.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Folks,

Don't be tempted by car roffles on Facebook unless it's a proper National Lottery Bonus Ball with the live You Tube footage.

I paid £20 for a roffle for a Mini but it was based on 100 numbers and a random number generator.

Despite tagging me and lots of others when it was time to pay, conveniently Facebook wouldn't let the 'owner' tag everyone when the 'draw' took place so there is absolutely no evidence of what number was actually drawn.

Someone let slip on the comments who actually won and lo and behold it was a guy with the same surname living in the same town, who also happens to sell a few cars on the side. So it's fair to conclude that both brothers have some sort of small time car sales business between them on the side.

Basically the 2 brothers still have the car between them, got the full asking price and nobody can prove anything.

I think my head buttons up the back :(

Report to Gambling Commission?