The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The Classic Saab 900 automatic uses an ATF cooler built into the bottom radiator hose (it's only a few inches long) and they're generally pretty bullet proof.

Obviously a different design to yours and for a different purpose, but I don't imagine they're that hard to come by so worth bearing in mind if you do end up looking to have to re-engineer things.

The search for a replacement oil cooler has now gone to Holland. There is a massive new and used parts dealer called Bart Ebben who contacted me this morning to say they have a correct used one in stock. 165 Euro!!!

Beggars can't be choosers?

9 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Fuck that.

Between that and cx basis.. 

CX-Basis haven't had one in stock for months, so they are academic. 

I'm going to see if I can get hold of Stan Platts. Knowing my luck, he'll likely be in his other home in France, so won't have access to all his parts archives.

A message came in from a Dutch CX enthusiast who thinks he has a spare used one, so let's see what happens next....

Fully serviced the Mondeo yesterday. All filters and oil. The fucking pollen filter was one of the most trickiest I've ever done. Lost my temper with it numerous times but it needed doing. The date it was done was written in the old filter...2013! Was really full of dirt and debris and it wasn't even a carbon one. New carbon one installed and air con is immediately smoother and crisp. Found an oil leak though at the intercooler pipe which Ford don't sell as an individual part, but luckily plenty of new silicone ones available on eBay and it's been ordered. Looks a bit of a bastard to fit so will let my mechanic swap it over. It's running so well, belies it's 173k miles completely.

The DVLA is the gift to me that keeps on giving.

They didn't change over the tax part of the ownership change of the 75 so I couldn't tax it any way I tried because computer said no. It was still showing as taxed to November but that was technically attached to the previous owner.

I couldn't speak about it because the DVLA also haven't let anybody talk to them for about 10 weeks now. 

So they finally changed it today, I taxed it immediately but apparently 'they will be in touch with me about the gap in tax...as it's an offence'. I pity the poor sod that has to phone me that day as they will get their arse handed to them on a plate. 

I'm so ready to give the DVLA a square go it's beyond fucking words.

I had that happen once, so changed bank details. I think another way to get around it is a different address or email but helpfully I was between houses. I think it happened to me because I cancelled one or two DDs before the change of keeper slip appeared, they HATE that.

10 minutes ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

Ive done raging to myself today on car tax, it appears i cant tax by monthly d/d, no doubt as ive swopped cars around over last 13 months a bit, any suggestions apart from arsing around to open another bank account

Same thing happened to me last week, had to use our joint bank account rather than my own, presumably for the same reason as you. Was a bit of a sweat when it suggested paying £500 in one go ?

20 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I was just about to go and see a man about a cooler, no need now then ?

No, please go ahead and see him. I still think I should have have a few of these things in reserve, 'cos you never know when it's going to fail again. 

MOT pass for the ex- @Bobthebeard MX5 today.   My joy was short lived though because I cant tax online as the system is not recognising my 11 digit number and i cant tax at the post office as I sent the logbook off to DVLA just before the current unpleasantness.  

Does ANPR cover Aberdeenshire? We may be about to find out... 

I'm staring at the Corsa at the front garden.

Every time I go to pick up the phone to the garage, something else comes up, usually the Mini.

I'm starting to think that I'm never really going to get the chance to get it welded and back on the road like it deserves. Only the rusty strut tops are stopping it being driven. I have 2 mint complete tops to go on as well although I think the originals can be repaired.

It's a willing wee bugger too, started right up after 5 months and ran fine. 

I've had a fair bit of interest in it over the years but mainly from folk that would do a red top conversion and then break it when they get bored after 3 months.

I'd happily see it go to someone who would improve it sensibly, ie weld it and then just drive and enjoy but those types are rare.

I guess I'll just fire it back in the garage once my shelves are built, but it deserves better.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

They’re very good at refunding. I think they’ve even stopped sending cheques now! Unless you’re desperate for the £23 it’s best to let them take it and return it. 

There still stuck in the past sending bloody cheques, received one last week for £52.50.

23 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

There still stuck in the past sending bloody cheques, received one last week for £52.50.

I got a cheque back for the motorhome i had on the road for 2 weeks, after having to tax it for a six month period,  

Just opening a online account just for taxing purposes 

1 hour ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

I got a cheque back for the motorhome i had on the road for 2 weeks, after having to tax it for a six month period,  

Just opening a online account just for taxing purposes 

If I'd got to look after all those cars in your signature I'd get some admin staff in! 5 gives me a headache, I would have to take my shoes and socks off to add up all your motors!

Just noticed some have left the fold.....

Edited by Popsicle
Stupidity

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

They’re very good at refunding. I think they’ve even stopped sending cheques now! Unless you’re desperate for the £23 it’s best to let them take it and return it. 

This.  When the DD system first started I used to cancel them, but don't bother anymore so I don't get a marker against me.  Thing with that is you get loads of dormant ones in your list of direct debits, or I have anyway.  Can make for interesting reading i.e. reminds you how many cars you've had/sold.