The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Here is where I got up to at close of play today.

IMG_20200609_163625.thumb.jpg.3f5733942f12a1a6f51aa6d9d5abd3df.jpgIMG_20200609_163635.thumb.jpg.07939fb67e3c398cec9954fcd4ae5015.jpg

It looks a bit shit because I have discovered that unless you spraypaint them, you'll never fill all the crevices in the surface of breeze blocks with paint. However it is functional insofar as it now reflects light coming in so I can see what I am doing as the one lightbulb doesn't do much. 

Ceiling next when I have the right paint. Delivery of the shelving and my workbench is shit slow. Don't order anything from Bigdug if you are in a hurry.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I imagine with the amount of places doing delivery only type services at the moment as folks have suggested there's probably been a big spike in demand for van rentals so it doesn't surprise me the price has gone up a bit.

When my stepdad went to get a van for their 2nd try at moving we were about 3 weeks into the 'proper' lockdown (probably the weekend cummins drove to durham whilst I felt like a criminal driving helping mum move, which was legal tenuously) they initially didnt have any. Then he spoke to the cap who sorted him out the week before on abortive move one who remembered him. Ended up in a van that came back 10 minutes before, signed the forms saying it wasn't washed or inspected, to waiver him from blame and got £40 knocked off for the privelidge. Think it still cost him £300 for the weekend though, as his sister lent it to him as his last roll of the dice before the move was cancelled and he went bankrupt as he couldn't afford the mortgage (which is why they moved, cheaper property for retirement etc)

When we dropped it back it went straight into the wash bay, I imagine then straight back out the door again.

I was more amazed that at 85mph we were doing 16mpg... never seen a modern derv so low, although we were fully loaded at the time. Even dropping the speed (once he realised the 85mph, was not a single other car on the road and the bit between oxford and bicester is boring as fuck and downhill) it was in the low 20's until we got off the motorway and back to 45mph in the b roads

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

This may be news to some but

The design of the humble 2cv/dyane engine and gearbox. 

It's wank

utter wank. 

Complete and utter wank

If you dont want to take the front off everything is in the bloody way.

WANK!

It’s a pain on dyanes but it’s only five mins at most to take off both 2cv wings.

This may be news to some but
The design of the humble 2cv/dyane engine and gearbox. 
It's wank
utter wank. 
Complete and utter wank
 If you dont want to take the front off everything is in the bloody way.

WANK!

But it’s a hemi - great fun winding up Mopar guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

... never seen a modern derv so low, although we were fully loaded at the time. Even dropping the speed (once he realised the 85mph, was not a single other car on the road and the bit between oxford and bicester is boring as fuck and downhill) it was in the low 20's until we got off the motorway and back to 45mph in the b roads

The piece of excrement I had from Sixt wouldn't even do 70 unless it was downhill and managed 16mpg over about 300 miles.  I was not amused.

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

You bastard.

Then there's this mug full of wank.  

20200609_175100.thumb.jpg.784d3f10663b133e9abe2567ac998a04.jpg

Again, not too bad a job on 2cvs. The trick is to loosen all the joints from the manifold. And your gearbox is a lot cleaner than mine!

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/-c-13_94.html

Not often I'll admit total defeat with a job, I can usually find some sort of work around.  The BX injection pump has me beat.  That's why it's off for inspection and, hopefully, rebuild.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put the thing back together and neither can anyone else I've spoken to, so rather than force it and break something (again), thought it best to put my wallet on a diet instead.

Princess should be less problematic, I'm literally waiting on two valve shims arriving in the post so I can finish bolting the engine back together and get it running again.  Could do with a timing light to set it all up properly since there's no rev gauge so that's another item on the tools shopping list.

I'm actually glad the cars were broken when they were.  Because of World Event I haven't been able to go and do the stuff I would normally so not having my own cars running hasn't been too much of a hindrance.  If they'd been this broken when things were more normal I believe I would have lost my temper a little bit.

25 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Which exhaust bodge would sir try?  

Exhaust paste? Bandage? Gun gum? Jubile clips?

Ill shall take them all!

20200609_181946.thumb.jpg.3577edf7d2ab47271593b76da992d97f.jpg20200609_181951.thumb.jpg.268dfb8f1a3dd30ab8adfc2fa4d84311.jpg

20200609_181957.thumb.jpg.72aa80aeb73ce986d23e6339739024d3.jpg

20200609_182005.thumb.jpg.73303b01a58747d13f3cd686b6d96b0b.jpg

BIN !

A new one I think, I last replaced one in 2000 so it’s done ok.

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/-c-13_94.html

I don’t think it’s worth getting a stainless one.

54 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

True, but there’s more to life than carrying passengers.

EC12E268-4E94-43B2-A2F0-BA664FD6ABCB.thumb.jpeg.5236f477d47ab95a7890fc23ecb539e7.jpeg

Seconded for obvious reasons...

IMG_20200118_151929.thumb.jpg.1672abf64b7a015378388d6aec14d1f7.jpg

...I wholly agree though that a lot of modern supercars are utterly and completely pointless and seem to have all the downsides of something like the money pit shown above but without any of the perks that make me love it despite all its faults.

We really need to get those two together at some point for a joint photoshoot.

CX news from Garage Dubois-Loizou: the top of the engine is now dismantled and they are well into the guts of it.

The oil cooler does need replacing, but nobody has one in stock, not even CX-Basis - they've checked. Looks like an e-mail or call to Stan Platts in the remote hope that he might have the right one lying around somewhere. If no joy, they will improvise one from another car and modify it to fit. Not sure how that's going to work.

The camshaft will also be checked to see whether it was really bent, or whether the pulley on the end was mounted off-centre.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:02 PM, RobT said:

The Morris is still running weird, so I've bought a NOS Lucas distributor in case the old one is knackered.  There's only so many times I can blame points and condensers.

Yet again, I've been proved wrong.  Yesterday I found a NOS condenser in the Metro's glove box which I'd forgotten about.  Lobbed it in the Morris today and whoosh!  Running like clockwork again.  No missing under load and feels more eager too.  Hopefully that's sorted now and I can move on to other jobs.  Quite fancy getting the tyres fitted next.

I celebrated with a photo.

20200608_170007.thumb.jpg.f10e2643634bede2e328427571d87869.jpg

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

CX news from Garage Dubois-Loizou: the top of the engine is now dismantled and they are well into the guts of it.

The oil cooler does need replacing, but nobody has one in stock, not even CX-Basis - they've checked. Looks like an e-mail or call to Stan Platts in the remote hope that he might have the right one lying around somewhere. If no joy, they will improvise one from another car and modify it to fit. Not sure how that's going to work.

The camshaft will also be checked to see whether it was really bent, or whether the pulley on the end was mounted off-centre.

Is it only an engine oil cooler?

It may not even need one with modern oils. A lot of E30 folks will delete the oil cooler as it's a pain if leaking, and doesn't help unless thrashing it all the time

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Seems so. Here's the old one, taken out today:

The Classic Saab 900 automatic uses an ATF cooler built into the bottom radiator hose (it's only a few inches long) and they're generally pretty bullet proof.

Obviously a different design to yours and for a different purpose, but I don't imagine they're that hard to come by so worth bearing in mind if you do end up looking to have to re-engineer things.

13 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I was more amazed that at 85mph we were doing 16mpg... never seen a modern derv so low, although we were fully loaded at the time. Even dropping the speed (once he realised the 85mph, was not a single other car on the road and the bit between oxford and bicester is boring as fuck and downhill) it was in the low 20's until we got off the motorway and back to 45mph in the b roads

I struggle to crack 30mpg tank to tank in my custom. It's shit on fuel and worse than my '10 transit it replaced. I got high 30's mpg with that. Same 2.2 engine and 6 speed box.

That's progress I suppose.