The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Took The Aero for a drive to Brentwood and back this evening (A127-M25-A12-A130-A127), which is the furthest it's been driven since the weekend before the so-called lockdown and the first time it's been over 40 mph since then.

photo_2020-06-06_18-46-09.thumb.jpg.816be88327d81a73981b513f1cc57129.jpg

photo_2020-06-06_19-34-35.thumb.jpg.b398e88266428b6c13bbe8bd2aa79598.jpg

I'm sure that the car's running better as a result of the longish high speed run, not to mention the half tank of Super Unleaded I put in it on the way home. I'm certainly feeling better for the former :)

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Amazon or eBay. Plenty of options,  including HGV, diesel loco. Plenty loud. Louder if you go for the kit with the separate air tank....

I quite like the Ring air horn, it mimics old Ferrari horns. There are two R8s out in the wild with them fitted, and I think my incoming 205 will have one too... 

Had a quick look at the TF today and found a couple of water leaks. 

0ADD7AFF-2D8B-4193-B4D8-2394ADCA000C.thumb.jpeg.6dc3a43e995208eb216b5ea2f1faedb5.jpeg

Hose from radiator was adrift, spring type hose clip was poor so a worm drive clip was used and hose refitted. Pressurised the system and found the thermostat to be dripping, this could turn out to be a cheap repair. 
That said, from the reading I’ve done this evening interweb reasoning suggests a PRT thermostat conversion is the way to go. Any MG Rover lickers have any experience or advice please.

If this turns out well it would give me chance to run it as a standard 1.6 and then decide if a 1.8 turbo is the way to go. 

23 hours ago, Wilko220 said:

Just accidentally had a cheeky offer on this accepted...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184316535290

Ooft yes Antique gold with beige cloth, same as the one I had last year, except it was a diesel. V6 with a manual should be nice. 

I thought 2.0v6s stopped at 02 plate but this must have been a straggler. 

Enjoy!

34 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Ooft yes Antique gold with beige cloth, same as the one I had last year, except it was a diesel. V6 with a manual should be nice. 

I thought 2.0v6s stopped at 02 plate but this must have been a straggler. 

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Collected it today, and very pleased with it. Only done 46k and appears to have been well looked-after - although, irritatingly, the service history has been lost.

I had a top of the range Connoisseur with the 2.5 lump a few years ago, which subsequently ended up in the hands of @purplebargeken and at least one other AS regular after him. Compared to that this has got a very “base” feel to it from the driver’s seat, not least with its ‘90s style JVC radio unit lashed onto the dash instead of the built-in Rover sound system. But I kind of like that...

Main reason for buying was I’m expecting to be doing quite a lot of long distance motorway drives over the next few months and this is going to be a very nice environment in which to experience them.

Looks top notch from the outside too. Got probably my favourite of the alloy options that were available on these.

A couple of pics (unfortunately not taken in a petrol station).

0E7198FF-2D1C-4DCA-9ABC-5C8A8ED97413.jpeg

F37FA04B-2493-46DB-9DB8-38639B79B058.jpeg

9 hours ago, tommotech said:

Had a quick look at the TF today and found a couple of water leaks. 

0ADD7AFF-2D8B-4193-B4D8-2394ADCA000C.thumb.jpeg.6dc3a43e995208eb216b5ea2f1faedb5.jpeg

Hose from radiator was adrift, spring type hose clip was poor so a worm drive clip was used and hose refitted. Pressurised the system and found the thermostat to be dripping, this could turn out to be a cheap repair. 
That said, from the reading I’ve done this evening interweb reasoning suggests a PRT thermostat conversion is the way to go. Any MG Rover lickers have any experience or advice please.

If this turns out well it would give me chance to run it as a standard 1.6 and then decide if a 1.8 turbo is the way to go. 

This will be a wise investment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-MG-TF-LOW-COOLANT-ALARM-KIT-No-Drilling-Required/303555206761?hash=item46ad4cde69:g:KKUAAOSwlPFdrJ-s

7 hours ago, Wilko220 said:

Cheers!

Collected it today, and very pleased with it. Only done 46k and appears to have been well looked-after - although, irritatingly, the service history has been lost.

I had a top of the range Connoisseur with the 2.5 lump a few years ago, which subsequently ended up in the hands of @purplebargeken and at least one other AS regular after him. Compared to that this has got a very “base” feel to it from the driver’s seat, not least with its ‘90s style JVC radio unit lashed onto the dash instead of the built-in Rover sound system. But I kind of like that...

Main reason for buying was I’m expecting to be doing quite a lot of long distance motorway drives over the next few months and this is going to be a very nice environment in which to experience them.

Looks top notch from the outside too. Got probably my favourite of the alloy options that were available on these.

What a lovely example. Same colour as my dads old one, W733 MBJ, which died of HGF. RIP.

As a side note, I’ve got your old R45 now. Still going strong.

1A317444-68A5-4E8C-B1CE-CCDE8C0EB5F1.thumb.jpeg.d9000a206e3d5e89df43fcdca890b3c4.jpeg

Threw the truck in the workshop to be sorted out. New window reg, new sump, new engine and body mounts, major service including all belts and fluids, battery leaking, camber all out of whack too so that’s a block and tackle job on these.

Decided to get all the car park dings ironed out while its in - its not like i’m using it much right now after all so they can keep it a week or so. 

image.png

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

What a lovely example. Same colour as my dads old one, W733 MBJ, which died of HGF. RIP.

As a side note, I’ve got your old R45 now. Still going strong.

1A317444-68A5-4E8C-B1CE-CCDE8C0EB5F1.thumb.jpeg.d9000a206e3d5e89df43fcdca890b3c4.jpeg

Ah, excellent - sometimes struggle to keep up with the all latest developments in the forum, so thanks for updating me on that.

I enjoyed that car very much. Great to see it still providing good service (and still in the fold!) :)

Now the rear screen has been installed, I can get out and use the Sierra. Which just reminds me how terrible it is. One big slam and the driver’s door will need to be swept up off the road, the clutch is more slippery than your average member of parliament and the interior is as bad as it ever was. 

Long term, it really does deserve to be restored. It won’t last another 37 years as it is - that much is sure. I worry I’m not the right person to keep it; it deserves to be out of the weather and to enjoy a more cherished retirement. But I know I’d feel shit if I gave up on it. 

Anyway, have a pic. @alf892 always teases me for taking pics of the “good side” so here’s the “awful side” for balance. 

E6653EAD-C9B5-493A-9127-9AA6DD4490D1.thumb.jpeg.c830f5763728ac16b0fcf78cc7034e75.jpeg

15 hours ago, Wilko220 said:

Cheers!

That's lovely, I do like the Union alloys a lot too.

5 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Threw the truck in the workshop to be sorted out. New window reg, new sump, new engine and body mounts, major service including all belts and fluids, battery leaking, camber all out of whack too so that’s a block and tackle job on these.

Decided to get all the car park dings ironed out while its in - its not like i’m using it much right now after all so they can keep it a week or so. 

image.png

Paint on, needs polishing

image.thumb.png.b63668df19256e1473c4a34ca36159d6.pngimage.thumb.png.b8b94126e67afc2c34e0a92b03460cf0.png

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Now the rear screen has been installed, I can get out and use the Sierra. Which just reminds me how terrible it is. One big slam and the driver’s door will need to be swept up off the road, the clutch is more slippery than your average member of parliament and the interior is as bad as it ever was. 

Long term, it really does deserve to be restored. It won’t last another 37 years as it is - that much is sure. I worry I’m not the right person to keep it; it deserves to be out of the weather and to enjoy a more cherished retirement. But I know I’d feel shit if I gave up on it. 

Anyway, have a pic. @alf892 always teases me for taking pics of the “good side” so here’s the “awful side” for balance. 

E6653EAD-C9B5-493A-9127-9AA6DD4490D1.thumb.jpeg.c830f5763728ac16b0fcf78cc7034e75.jpeg

It truly is a thing of unconventional beauty... 

There’s a new series of chasing classic cars on quest ( and on demand on an app called Dplay). Bought a Stutz Bearcat that had been stored since 1931 -new plugs and leads and some fuel and water works and it was at pebble beach in its original condition. Fabulous that it’s not over restored.