The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I left it a bit late to go out on my bike this evening as I was pissing about getting the Mondeo ready for its MOT tomorrow, so I just trundled up to Happisburgh again, although I took a different route this time, down quieter roads.  They've fully reopened the access to the beach and cliffs, so I did a little bit of mild hors piste on my fancy new road bike.

IMG_20200602_205556.thumb.jpg.66f26b8db3d2fbb9b9960bd30ef185de.jpg

It wasn't great at it - it nearly rattled my teeth out of their sockets.  It is bloody quick on the road though, so I can forgive its relative lack of off road prowess.

That Jag is weird looking thing, at first I thought it might be armoured from the stance, but I think it’s just those silver sills and possibly slightly too large tyres. The mascot and tints suggest US spec, but no rear marker lights cancel that out. Knowing the sort of stufff your neighbours have in , possibly Middle Eastern, but then unlikely in black. It’s an odd one.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Y reg 

20200603_111241.jpg

I managed to wire up my Wipac spots today on my R50 Cooper and they look great and got it done just as it started raining but I did cheat and will get scolded I know as I did use a scotchlock  as I found my 50 year old pifco soldering iron was a bit crap but it might of been a operator error more than the soldering iron.

5D62C336-DF67-43D3-91E0-C2B615E62DDF.jpeg

BE473DA1-C5FA-4B5C-B6F7-290DAF97B4E5.jpeg

On 6/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, Split_Pin said:

I cannot tax the 75 as there has been some sort of foul up at the DVLA yet again.

I have the new V5 in my name and on the original plate. It all appears hunky dory but a call to the DVLA by the previous owner confirms the tax has somehow not changed over with the ownership and the system won't recognise the V5 reference number. I also can't tax it by phone because don't get the option to as it's saying it's not due until November. Finally, the website says I must absolutely not phone customer services because I am not a key worker(TM) or essential member of society.

However the car was taxed by the previous owner and as that hasn't changed over, it is still showing on the system as taxed till November. 

So it's effectively on the house until they finally sort it out.

DVLA, what a bunch of wallies.

Can you tax it using the reference on the green slip? Apols if this is what you're trying to do.

I ordered a tyre for the Mondeo last week as I was convinced the nearside rear was going to fail the MOT.  It turned up today - nice enough tyre for a cheapie, but it was the wrong size - I'd ordered a 215/55 16, they'd sent me a 205/55.

As it happened the Mondeo tyre scraped through with an advisory (although other bits didn't).  I emailed the tyre seller to complain and they processed a full refund within minutes and haven't asked for the tyre back.  So I have a free 205/55 16 tyre.  I don't actually have any cars at the moment that take that particular size, but I'm sure I will sooner or later...

The Mondeo failed on a front balljoint and a rear trailing arm bush.  You can buy the balljoints separately but they're riveted onto the arms from the factory, so I'd have to take the arm off anyway to grind / drill the rivets out.  So I've ordered a complete arm - being Ford it wasn't expensive.  I've also ordered the trailing arm bush but I'll probably get the garage to do that as it looks like it'd be a bit of a tit to do without the proper tool.

It's not a bad car really given its 200K+ miles.  It's been well looked after - there's a replacement DMF and at least two replacement cambelts in the history, the other side front wishbone was replaced last year and the MOT tester mentioned there's a new DPF in there as well, so it's not the usual shagged out old banger.  Given that I got it cheap I don't resent splashing out 150 quid or so to get it through a test.

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

News from Garages Dubois-Loizou:

OMGHGF confirmed.

Replacement and repairs authorised. Big bill anticipated. Very big bill.

Think I might get some spare cylinder head bolts in. I've a nasty feeling one might snap.

Are they not one use stretch bolts ???

I'm worried, Autotrader on facebook has started recommending cars to me. 3 Bentley Arnarge, a Bentley Continental, a TVR Chimera, a Jaguar, a Fiat 124 Spider and a MINI Cooper.  They probably realise that I'm both bored and suggestable. What they don't realise is that I'd rather have a Morris Minor traveller or another Morgan

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Can you tax it using the reference on the green slip? Apols if this is what you're trying to do.

I tried that as soon as I had it before I got the new V5 in my name but apparently the tax part of the ownership has somehow been 'left behind' if that makes sense.

As long as it's showing as taxed then I'm happy to benefit from the DVLA's foul up until November.

16 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I tried that as soon as I had it before I got the new V5 in my name but apparently the tax part of the ownership has somehow been 'left behind' if that makes sense.

As long as it's showing as taxed then I'm happy to benefit from the DVLA's foul up until November.

But keep checking in case they suddenly sort it out and untax it.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, barefoot said:

'Taxed' the T2 at the post office this morning.  Chap gave me a receipt, which I read when I got home. It says that it was taxed from today and it's also for the retained document, the V5c, which the post office bloke gave me back. Does anyone think this will cause me problems later on? 

Everything seems to be OK

1539728817_Screenshot2020-06-04at09_58_23.thumb.png.0fbcf3645af25b3762c36f974c3bcfb5.png

I changed the vectra's oil and filter a few weeks ago - today air and pollen filter.

20200604_145256.thumb.jpg.884ae9b3f054ba45b663d84c3137348f.jpg20200604_145253.thumb.jpg.a5deb26b2a044245a3c8136ef3820979.jpg

hoovered air box and cleaned the MAF. The old filter was filthy.

20200604_150107.thumb.jpg.4e50aab85250cd3d7bab0beff6eed712.jpg

New one in. On to the pollen filter.

20200604_150938.thumb.jpg.1dada51d2e3bbd2d2fb581240bdcfdfb.jpg

Again minging. It was a crossland item. Dyson used again.20200604_151002.thumb.jpg.b6cd36d7dd3c176cbd5b3e7c5405fc10.jpg

New filter in. Job jobbed.20200604_151446.thumb.jpg.fc12acdafb4d8863146dc6bb8ed08289.jpg

I will do the fuel filter tomorrow weather permitting - it is a bit more of a faff.