The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My morning and afternoon has been gardening.

The trees along here were so overgrown that they were touching the house most of the way along the path.

IMG_20200530_144223.thumb.jpg.fb16d83a8a991a42cbff5382764275cf.jpg

IMG_20200530_144253.thumb.jpg.a4ddbf3a7ccdf918ba38f490cdcac04b.jpg

Our neighbours have the opportunity to see daylight for the first time in years.

One left to go out here and one bare trunk to fell but we were just out of energy!  We'll get that one tomorrow.

Little chainsaw definitely earned its keep today.

IMG_20200530_141140.thumb.jpg.2f8edefd64d3acdff87c0b75ceb85063.jpg

Quite satisfying when you get everything to come down to within a few inches of where you were aiming for.  Helpful as I really didn't want to go ripping gutters off the house or anything like that!

Today was supposed to be the day I had set aside for servicing the Toyota, got garage all ready, Suzuki parked on the road so madam can just pop the nose in the garage when she gets back from work and I can spill oil all over the floor again.

She’s been asked to work until 6 this evening, the back garden is finished and it’s far too hot to clip the hedge at the moment, so I’m having a day of laziness.

3 hours ago, Tickman said:

A local bee keeper would no doubt have removed them without them all being killed.

No. I tried that.  Honey bees.  Yes. They'll be around in a shot. 

Bumble bees. No. Don't want them, can't help. 

Plus you'd have to disassemble soffit and facia boards and guttering and the ceiling in one of the bedrooms.  

It pains me, to have them killed but that's the only practical solution.  

Took the 75 on the first proper run out that I have been on for 10 weeks. We went to Stirling to have a socially distanced picnic in my brothers garden with the rest of my family.

It drove very smoothly indeed although as this is the first 75 that I have had which has working Aircon, I realised that I don't know how to work it!

IMG_20200530_140907.jpg

IMG_20200530_144215.jpg

6 hours ago, New POD said:

No. I tried that.  Honey bees.  Yes. They'll be around in a shot. 

Bumble bees. No. Don't want them, can't help. 

Plus you'd have to disassemble soffit and facia boards and guttering and the ceiling in one of the bedrooms.  

It pains me, to have them killed but that's the only practical solution.  

What harm were they doing?

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Getting into the house, and as mentioned on the last page, their wife is allergic to bee stings.  Seems a reasonable situation under which action had to be taken.  Unfortunate, but necessary.

Bumble bees almost never sting. Unless you do something really stupid.

Throughout lockdown I've been ferrying a friend of mine around as his girlfriend, another good friend of mine, is having a rough time in lockdown with her mental health issues and a mum that's going through a divorce subsisting entirely on wine, they need safe places to stay and need to keep a balance, and guess who's the only one with a car. Manchester to Blackburn pretty much every other week. 

On the return leg of the last journey the Volvo put up a big red ! and a message 'transmission service urgent'. It also refused to come out of 4th gear when moving, however you could manually shift 4-2 when stationary. 

A restart cleared the fault, but I got 10 litres of ATF and tomorrow I'm going to have to try and flush the gearbox. 'Sealed for life' box which means taking the transmission cooler pipes off and running the car... what fun that'll be. 

32 minutes ago, GBJ said:

What harm were they doing?

Causing my sister in law to be very assertive with me.  And my wife to use my reluctance to do anything at all as reason number 10543 why I obviously don't care about anyone other than myself.  A bee loving husband who ignored the issue for a week, because it seemed a bit pointless as they will all probably die, come the Autumn. 

42 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Getting into the house, and as mentioned on the last page, their wife is allergic to bee stings.  Seems a reasonable situation under which action had to be taken.  Unfortunate, but necessary.

Do bumblebees nest in bushes or have they found a hole in the brickwork behind the rosebush, it's right by my front door and this morning there was a dozen or so arrived within a minute. I go anaphylactic when stung so could get a bit messy or maybe die..... Should I get them before they get me ???

39 minutes ago, GBJ said:

Bumble bees almost never sting. Unless you do something really stupid.

It's that word, "almost."

Last time I was stung by a bee (probably the only time in the last decade) it was a bumble bee, I didn't even know it was in the room.  Right up to the point where I sat on it.  I hold absolutely no ill will to be bee, absolutely fair reaction.  Luckily I'm not allergic to stings, it just hurt like blazes.  Felt guilty for sitting on the poor thing though.

Anaphylactic shock isn't something to be trifled with though, it can get very, very nasty very, very quickly depending on the circumstances.

I used to be terrified of bees as our next door neighbour when I was about five had hives at the bottom of their garden, and shortly after we moved in they had issues with something happening which resulted in their bees becoming really aggressive for a year or two.  They managed to get rid of the aggressive strain pretty quickly and we never had any further issues - but the emotional impact of getting stung five or six times in one day when they went after me when I was about five years old took a long time to resolve.

8 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Do bumblebees nest in bushes or have they found a hole in the brickwork behind the rosebush, it's right by my front door and this morning there was a dozen or so arrived within a minute. I go anaphylactic when stung so could get a bit messy or maybe die..... Should I get them before they get me ???

When we had similar here a couple of years ago it turned out that they were living in the wall cavity, getting in through an air brick.  In our case though it was wasps rather than bees.  We had to get something done on that occasion as it was right next to the side door and while we were generally able to just keep our distance, they kept going after the dog. 

Worth keeping an eye on them and seeing if activity continues.  If it's the right time of day and it's a plant they "like" in particular the activity levels can be surprisingly high sometimes.  We used to have a lavender bush out the back of our old house that you could literally hear humming from the far side of the driveway when it was fully in bloom!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

It's that word, "almost."

Last time I was stung by a bee (probably the only time in the last decade) it was a bumble bee, I didn't even know it was in the room.  Right up to the point where I sat on it.  I hold absolutely no ill will to be bee, absolutely fair reaction.  Luckily I'm not allergic to stings, it just hurt like blazes.  Felt guilty for sitting on the poor thing though.

Anaphylactic shock isn't something to be trifled with though, it can get very, very nasty very, very quickly depending on the circumstances.

I used to be terrified of bees as our next door neighbour when I was about five had hives at the bottom of their garden, and shortly after we moved in they had issues with something happening which resulted in their bees becoming really aggressive for a year or two.  They managed to get rid of the aggressive strain pretty quickly and we never had any further issues - but the emotional impact of getting stung five or six times in one day when they went after me when I was about five years old took a long time to resolve.

When we had similar here a couple of years ago it turned out that they were living in the wall cavity, getting in through an air brick.  In our case though it was wasps rather than bees.  We had to get something done on that occasion as it was right next to the side door and while we were generally able to just keep our distance, they kept going after the dog. 

Worth keeping an eye on them and seeing if activity continues.  If it's the right time of day and it's a plant they "like" in particular the activity levels can be surprisingly high sometimes.  We used to have a lavender bush out the back of our old house that you could literally hear humming from the far side of the driveway when it was fully in bloom!

They actually fly round the back of the bush nearly down to ground level but when emerging they seem to have a different flightpath to the incoming ones reaching bare arm and face level as they get near to the door so a bit dodgy. 

I had a nest down the side of my pond in the back garden last year right next to the filter box but they were big muthafkers so they were flooded out with the hosepipe because it was right next to the back door. 

I might try the hosepipe on the ones by the front door for my sake as well as visitors and neighbours ?

Why the hatred of wasps on here? They're still gods creatures.

Come to think of it I remember being in a beer garden once and one crawled up my t shirt sleeve and stung me in the fucking armpit, for no reason at alI. It hurt for a couple of weeks afterwards.

I hate the bastards.

10 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Throughout lockdown I've been ferrying a friend of mine around as his girlfriend, another good friend of mine, is having a rough time in lockdown with her mental health issues and a mum that's going through a divorce subsisting entirely on wine, they need safe places to stay and need to keep a balance, and guess who's the only one with a car. Manchester to Blackburn pretty much every other week. 

On the return leg of the last journey the Volvo put up a big red ! and a message 'transmission service urgent'. It also refused to come out of 4th gear when moving, however you could manually shift 4-2 when stationary. 

A restart cleared the fault, but I got 10 litres of ATF and tomorrow I'm going to have to try and flush the gearbox. 'Sealed for life' box which means taking the transmission cooler pipes off and running the car... what fun that'll be. 

Done that job on a Saab 9-5. Was quite easy with the cooler lines disconnected. Just make sure you put exactly the same amount in as you take out. 

Also isn't this your old Prelude / @chatsharris one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/250646578391491/permalink/2795392897250167/?sale_post_id=2795392897250167

(Just say'in like) 

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

Why the hatred of wasps on here? They're still gods creatures.

Come to think of it I remember being in a beer garden once and one crawled up my t shirt sleeve and stung me in the fucking armpit, for no reason at alI. It hurt for a couple of weeks afterwards.

I hate the bastards.

My parents used to take us camping.  Not your normal camping, no this was like a car show without the cars.  This was a Christian holiday with a massive marque and praying and singing and speaking in tongues. Services from 9 am to 11 and 7pm to 9pm 

And even a children's fellowship.

A whole week of it. For about 8 years. I stopped going at 16. Refused. 

And wasps.  I take this as a sign that there is a god and he woukd have preferred us all to get into bognor  town centre and help drug addicts or the homeless, rather than camping in a field near Durdle Door (topical)

One Lunch time I killed 36 wasps. My record. I think I'm on thier list. Thier crime. One of the fuckers hid in my shoe. I was 10. 

our bees have crossed the line ,

dont mind a few

but this is getting like a crowd at a letter opening .

last night I popped up and pulled down the handy " landing pad " I had put up to block the entrance .

now the big ones cant get back in !!!  , and are flying off some where else ...

Done that job on a Saab 9-5. Was quite easy with the cooler lines disconnected. Just make sure you put exactly the same amount in as you take out. 
Also isn't this your old Prelude / [mention=20001]chatsharris[/mention] one:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/250646578391491/permalink/2795392897250167/?sale_post_id=2795392897250167
(Just say'in like) 
No, this is the one I got from JohnK a couple of years back (the one I took to Shitefest).

Ghosty's old Prelude is staying with me.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk