The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Tetleysmooth said:

That wasn't owned by a chap in Rayliegh at some point in the 70's/80's was it?

I’ve no idea, it’s certainly possible. I know someone from Wiltshire bought it for spares in the late 1980s, but he sold it to another chap in the same area who kept it until he gave up driving in 2013.

pretty sure the leak in the Kangoo is brake fluid. Had the handbrake and stop lights come on last few times i drove it. topped up the reservoir and the light went out.

Initial search shows me some kind of pipe junction behind the bumper that is a bit wet looking. cant really get to it so i will be taking the bumper off.

Has anyone had a brake fluid leak on a clio before? would be a similar setup i would think.

thanks

13 hours ago, richardmorris said:

When rick was busy a couple of years ago when I needed the off side frame doing the bill from Mercedes ascot wasn’t horrendous for a main dealer. Parts for the subframe about the same cost as he’s just quoted and labour the same again.  They are actually a lot better than Citroen in parts prices for older cars.  I have told rick that I will pay for the spring tool he’s ordered for the job and expect it to be four or five hours labour. Annoyingly the car still drives perfectly so I doubt I’ll notice the money spent on it. Then there’s the body work needed after bambi took a header into the door.

Found that for a genuine Suzuki filters for the Jimny they weren't much more expensive than a Boshe/Mahle filter from ECP. 

Always have a look on eBay for genuine stuff first and see the prices. 

29 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Fitting a tap in this place while he services the van in return.
What an amazing place to put a fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Disco II TD5 is there too. Awful place. Gets all the salt and corrosion and people never change it so it's a pain in the arse to remove. 

SMOLL K11 UPDATE:

I started Dudley up for the first time since Lockdown began. It was a little reluctant but did eventually fire up....

Anyway, up in the air (after doing a proper OLD SKOOL WHEELSPIN on the car ramps) and oil out.

B1505EAE-8122-4004-A860-9742C2A3FB6E.thumb.jpeg.a9e1f83e0da0d813b2b3d6cafa9f2066.jpeg

That’s pretty bad. It smells of fuel so I’m thinking it’s got a weeping head gasket. I’d also say that would be the cause of the rough starting? I’ll stick some gasket leak in it and hope for the best. New oil in and it sounds a lot better now, I brushed some of the old oil underneath on any surface rust, which I’m pleased to say there is very little. It’s remarkably solid this little car. 

Video of startup.

10 hours ago, Spurious said:

Handsome car. Looks lovely. 

Thanks man. 
I wanted one for ages and this was stupid cheap. I sold the alloys and then it became practically free so it would have been rude not to buy some decent tyres and pretendy whitewalls (which for €37 on PeeBay are flippin deadly) were only fair  

CFD

Been driving the shite beetle for a while now. I’ve a lot of other stuff I could be sitting into but I’ve warmed to this. This car should be boring and uninspiring to drive - and it is! But, it makes me smile and others also - that is if they are not calling me a Benny of course. Which is fine. My daughter is expressing an interest in it so it may stick around for a while.. 

Was collecting some of my crap from storage today and couldn’t resist a pic in a very deserted city centre. 

CA54255D-050E-4D29-824A-B560CDB12014.jpeg

CFD 

I confess I thought it would look shit with whitewalls, and I really don’t like black wheels.

But hands up, I was wrong - it works really well. Sets off the Bauhaus lines much better than pretty much any New Beetle I can recall. It’s got a kind of chunky Hot Wheels vibe going on. 

1 hour ago, Carlosfandango said:

Been driving the shite beetle for a while now. I’ve a lot of other stuff I could be sitting into but I’ve warmed to this. This car should be boring and uninspiring to drive - and it is! But, it makes me smile and others also - that is if they are not calling me a Benny of course. Which is fine. My daughter is expressing an interest in it so it may stick around for a while.. 

Was collecting some of my crap from storage today and couldn’t resist a pic in a very deserted city centre. 

CA54255D-050E-4D29-824A-B560CDB12014.jpeg

CFD 

Awesome pic, the car looks great...  watch those things though, they can start to wear through the tyre sidewalls!  We (I) desperately wanted whitewalls on our camper, so was chuffed to find these...  not so chuffed after the first holiday trip when all four of my new Hankooks had a groove in 'em…  Think you can get a special rubber grease to put behind them or something?  

9 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Awesome pic, the car looks great...  watch those things though, they can start to wear through the tyre sidewalls!  We (I) desperately wanted whitewalls on our camper, so was chuffed to find these...  not so chuffed after the first holiday trip when all four of my new Hankooks had a groove in 'em…  Think you can get a special rubber grease to put behind them or something?  

No way? I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for letting me know. It took a lot of fiddling about to get them sitting perfectly and the tyres are new so I’ll keep an eye on them. Really only use the bug for pottering about. Long trips unlikely but I was thinking of a set for the T5 camper. I’ll see how these go. 

CFD

I wouldn't have believed it myself...  but one trip away (admittedly with motorway speeds involved) was enough.  Don't even really understand how it happens, they weren't flapping about or anything.  I looked into buying genuine whitewalls once I'd removed the trims, but err... yeah, that ain't happening! 

Like you say, maybe just pottering will be different, maybe mine were cheapies (Atlas, I think they were?), as I said, they really do look good!

At last, I have been paid for a couple of Probate cases. Can book the CX in now for the second major flush-out in a year - this time, a total flush of engine and cooling system, and then a test to seek where the oil is getting into the coolant. Head gasket set and spare oil cooler at the ready.

Also check of brake discs/pads, reset of handbrake (TADTS), and condition of spheres /LHM.

Big bill anticipated.

White walls... many years ao when I had my MK 10 I had them fitted, full flaps for a while until one of them tore at motorway speeds and then the thinwall type which proved more pleasing to look at and much more dependable. But, when those tyres needed changing I still wanted thinwall white bands and found a company in Scunthorpe that machined a very slight flat onto the tyre and filled it with white rubber. Not to expensive and lasted the entire length of the tyres life.

Obviously, machining a groove into a tyre sidewall could well be seen to be 'dodgy' but it was very shallow and re-filled with what was purported to be rubber mix. I had no issues with them. No idea if anyone still does this though?

On 5/28/2020 at 9:50 AM, 00833827 said:

pretty sure the leak in the Kangoo is brake fluid. Had the handbrake and stop lights come on last few times i drove it. topped up the reservoir and the light went out.

Initial search shows me some kind of pipe junction behind the bumper that is a bit wet looking. cant really get to it so i will be taking the bumper off.

Has anyone had a brake fluid leak on a clio before? would be a similar setup i would think.

thanks

Let us know how you get on. My Clio 182 converted Kangoo also has the brake warning light on. I've checked the wiring to the level sensor and it seems fine. I thought it might be the handbrake switch but I need to take the seats out to lift the carpet to check it properly and I can't be arsed...

15 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

No way? I wasn’t aware of this.

Way.

They don't so much rub or flap about, just fret very slightly, which is enough to wear the rubber away.  You either have to bond them on (not recommended) or make sure there is rubber grease between the pretend whitewalls and the real tyres.

It's a bit like the gearbox output shaft splines on an early discovery.  You wouldn't think there's enough movement to cause wear, but the fretting causes the splines to completely wear away.