The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Youngest is 17th today and we have just made an impromptu decision to go and have a look at his *new car and see if we can get it running.. It's free, needs some attention but should make a great first car..

Discussions are in place to get it transported to us as it's been off the road for a while..

Have a pic as a clue and a pointer as to what needs doing....6671311b04c75527f729fa5b37c2ecfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Wales still on lockdown, baby due in 2 weeks, economy in uncertain territory, Yugo project making slower progress than a glacier... 

So why am I considering buying another project car sight unseen (With a Boris MoT admittedly)... apart from the fact that it’s reasonably well priced and @Mrsbrownnova says it’s an ideal present for her... 

29 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Youngest is 17th today and we have just made an impromptu decision to go and have a look at his *new car and see if we can get it running.. It's free, needs some attention but should make a great first car..

Discussions are in place to get it transported to us as it's been off the road for a while..

Have a pic as a clue and a pointer as to what needs doing....6671311b04c75527f729fa5b37c2ecfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

205?

After spending some time and monies on the Merc SEC it's been pressed into service doing actual going places duties including 3 days commute to work . It's been a pleasure to use, no unexpected developments though at 35 years old there's always a list, - headlining, steering wheel, pull like fook to the left etc. 

Like a lot of folk on here I suffered buyers remorse with it, however I went to see another garage find 500 SEC for sale locally and felt waay better. It's currently on about 1/2 what I paid for mine but I'm not sure I'd want it given...... 

Here's mine basking in the evening sun after a hard day at the dock car park. 

IMG_20200527_193621.thumb.jpg.f65fe4627a2aec5fed9c3933c828f339.jpg

It's sharing the duty roster with the 2.8 BMW Z3 as it would be a shame to leave this garaged while the sun shines and it's still a  fine thing to drive so it's one in, one out in garage terms.

IMG_20200527_193746.thumb.jpg.25abacc44b7bdae2be2ef21f5f5c6b68.jpg

My mechanic friend rick has been ill with the virus ( he drives buses in London now ) so been a little delayed in replacing the Mercedes’s nearside front suspension. He’s asked if I want aftermarket or original parts. Given that I don’t want to do it again, and there’s hardly any difference in cost I’ve gone for Mercedes. £348 he’s just whatsapped me.

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

My mechanic friend rick has been ill with the virus ( he drives buses in London now ) so been a little delayed in replacing the Mercedes’s nearside front suspension. He’s asked if I want aftermarket or original parts. Given that I don’t want to do it again, and there’s hardly any difference in cost I’ve gone for Mercedes. £348 he’s just whatsapped me.

I've just replaced the front pads, discs and sensors on the 2007 Mercedes E320 cdi, genuine MB parts delivered were about the same as mid range ECP parts.

1 minute ago, spike60 said:

I've just replaced the front pads, discs and sensors on the 2007 Mercedes E320 cdi, genuine MB parts delivered were about the same mid range ECP parts.

When rick was busy a couple of years ago when I needed the off side frame doing the bill from Mercedes ascot wasn’t horrendous for a main dealer. Parts for the subframe about the same cost as he’s just quoted and labour the same again.  They are actually a lot better than Citroen in parts prices for older cars.  I have told rick that I will pay for the spring tool he’s ordered for the job and expect it to be four or five hours labour. Annoyingly the car still drives perfectly so I doubt I’ll notice the money spent on it. Then there’s the body work needed after bambi took a header into the door.

I’m currently watching through all the Bond films... just finished Tomorrow Never Dies. In which (for the third time in a Bond film) I’ve spotted a Renault Fuego!

In fact the chase through the car park was a smorgasbord of 80s/90s chod... although they did blow up both a Carlton and a Granada as well as the Fuego... bastards. 

54 minutes ago, brownnova said:

although they did blow up both a Carlton and a Granada as well as the Fuego... bastards. 

It's a Senator, which is even worse in my books.

Still  one of my favourite car chases in any movie because of the amount of shite in it though. They even managed to get a bug-eye Scorpio in as a police car beforehand, which was a surprise when I first saw it.

1995 Ford Scorpio Polizei Hamburg MkII

8 hours ago, richardmorris said:

When rick was busy a couple of years ago when I needed the off side frame doing the bill from Mercedes ascot wasn’t horrendous for a main dealer. Parts for the subframe about the same cost as he’s just quoted and labour the same again.  They are actually a lot better than Citroen in parts prices for older cars.  I have told rick that I will pay for the spring tool he’s ordered for the job and expect it to be four or five hours labour. Annoyingly the car still drives perfectly so I doubt I’ll notice the money spent on it. Then there’s the body work needed after bambi took a header into the door.

If it's the spring compressor which sits inside the spring it makes life much easier, safer too.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:09 PM, Angrydicky said:

Thanks for the thought, but I've already been there ;)

The ledger revealed it was supplied new to an A.C. Starr Esq. on 18/9/1953. Here's the Somerset outside the address it was first registered to, in Romford. 

romford.jpg

That wasn't owned by a chap in Rayliegh at some point in the 70's/80's was it?

7 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’m currently watching through all the Bond films... just finished Tomorrow Never Dies. In which (for the third time in a Bond film) I’ve spotted a Renault Fuego!

In fact the chase through the car park was a smorgasbord of 80s/90s chod... although they did blow up both a Carlton and a Granada as well as the Fuego... bastards. 

They filmed all that in the extended multistorey car park at Brent Cross. I remember Hammerson let the filmmakers have the run of the place before the extension was completed and opened to the public. 

1 hour ago, Tetleysmooth said:

That wasn't owned by a chap in Rayliegh at some point in the 70's/80's was it?

I’ve no idea, it’s certainly possible. I know someone from Wiltshire bought it for spares in the late 1980s, but he sold it to another chap in the same area who kept it until he gave up driving in 2013.

pretty sure the leak in the Kangoo is brake fluid. Had the handbrake and stop lights come on last few times i drove it. topped up the reservoir and the light went out.

Initial search shows me some kind of pipe junction behind the bumper that is a bit wet looking. cant really get to it so i will be taking the bumper off.

Has anyone had a brake fluid leak on a clio before? would be a similar setup i would think.

thanks

13 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Found that for a genuine Suzuki filters for the Jimny they weren't much more expensive than a Boshe/Mahle filter from ECP. 

Always have a look on eBay for genuine stuff first and see the prices. 

29 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Fitting a tap in this place while he services the van in return.
What an amazing place to put a fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Disco II TD5 is there too. Awful place. Gets all the salt and corrosion and people never change it so it's a pain in the arse to remove.