The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Tree surgeon mates VW caddy van has snapped a rod after 35,000 miles and 4.5 years. VW’s response was that he should pay £6.5k for a new engine to be fitted and they would then decide if they would put anything towards it as a ‘gesture’. Oddly enough he told them to FRO. It’s gone this afternoon for £3.5k to a place in Leamington Spa. Picked up with two hours of him calling them.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Tree surgeon mates VW caddy van has snapped a rod after 35,000 miles and 4.5 years. VW’s response was that he should pay £6.5k for a new engine to be fitted and they would then decide if they would put anything towards it as a ‘gesture’. Oddly enough he told them to FRO. It’s gone this afternoon for £3.5k to a place in Leamington Spa. Picked up with two hours of him calling them.

Goodness me. I just don’t think that sort of thing is good enough in the year 2020. That’s stinks of not “Fit for Purpose”. A huge failure like that on a 4 year old/35K failure? I can’t see how that can really be operator error. 

Perhaps I’m naive! 

10 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Goodness me. I just don’t think that sort of thing is good enough in the year 2020. That’s stinks of not “Fit for Purpose”. A huge failure like that on a 4 year old/35K failure? I can’t see how that can really be operator error. 

Perhaps I’m naive! 

Same here, having looked there are a few stories of rods making a break for freedom. He is going to take it up with trading standards but as the van has gone I can’t see him getting anywhere. But he needs a vehicle for work so can’t afford it to sit there for 6 months while someone makes their mind up and I think VW know this and play on it. Surely an engine has to be good for at least 100k unless abused these days? FFS an A series would do 60k if abused in the 70s! And my poor 2 litre pinto in my first Capri was thrashed senseless for two years and was still running when the tree jumped out in front of it.

Shamazon is just after delivering a massive 20w solar panel battery charger thing with regulator box and some cables / cable extension leads.

What's the betting that the cables are not long enough to stretch from the intended site of the solar panel all the way to the CX?

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Same here, having looked there are a few stories of rods making a break for freedom. He is going to take it up with trading standards but as the van has gone I can’t see him getting anywhere. But he needs a vehicle for work so can’t afford it to sit there for 6 months while someone makes their mind up and I think VW know this and play on it. Surely an engine has to be good for at least 100k unless abused these days? FFS an A series would do 60k if abused in the 70s! And my poor 2 litre pinto in my first Capri was thrashed senseless for two years and was still running when the tree jumped out in front of it.

When I worked for Garrett making Turbos, there was an expectation of 100K in normal use.  And that was a worst case scenario of short journeys and long oil change intervals. 

7 minutes ago, New POD said:

When I worked for Garrett making Turbos, there was an expectation of 100K in normal use.  And that was a worst case scenario of short journeys and long oil change intervals. 

I wonder if there were test beds where eg very short trip, full power from cold and for good measure rev it up as it’s switched off, plus ancient cheap oil.

1 minute ago, HMC said:

I wonder if there were test beds where eg very short trip, full power from cold and for good measure rev it up as it’s switched off, plus ancient cheap oil.

Yes.  I remember one of the tests for the VNT was the soot test.  Adjust the fuelling badly, and run it where it's not doing a full sweep of the vanes going from fully closed to fully open.  

9 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Just heard that Hertz has gone tits up. Going to be loads of ex rentals coming on the market.

All rental companies are going to be nervous, including the big names.

2 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Does that make Godfrey Davies number one now?

But for how much longer?

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Boggles my mind when beautiful cars like that are scrapped... 

You just wonder why, it must have been valued enough to be kept all these years so it might be someone has passed away and the kids just want rid ‘of the old crap car’ and scrappy offers £50 to collect and they are happy. But then I think why wouldn’t the scrappy doesn’t offer it as a project? Very sad however it happened.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

I've been served three different adverts from three different "Classic Dealers" on Facebook.  All with cars being raffled. 

• £23 a ticket for a Peugeot 205 GTi (Maximum 700 tickets)
  • £9 a ticket for a 1966 Mustang (Maximum 4000 tickets)
  • £9  a ticket for a made over Morris Mini 1000

I've dealt with premium rate competitions and lotteries pretty much all my working life.  I don't like them, but it's an accepted (not neccessary) evil.  

But it also feels like a strong signal that the 'classic market' isn't what it was. 

A couple of weeks ago I was blind, stupid and gullible enough to buy a few tickets for a Club Turismo raffle that you might have seen on Facebook. 

I would not normally go for this sort of thing and I'm not a gambler but the prize was an immaculate 205Gti which is reputed to be worth £25k. Hnnnnnnng! WANT!

I bought a £10 ticket and a week later they were doing a "limited" buy one get one free offer.

Instead of spotting the red flag I bought some more tickets.

After a delayed draw, I got a snivelling email explaining how gutted they were but they couldn't shift enough tickets and the prize was now £10k cash.

I was far more disappointed than I should have been.  I'm frankly not that interested in a cash prize. I'm sure it was in the terms and conditions yadda yadda yadda.....

It's not that I'm rolling in cash,  but I really wanted a chance at not winning the Peugeot.  If I wanted to not win cash I'd buy scratch cards. 

And of course I didn't win.

Now facebook must have got me on a sucker list because there are loads of them popping up.

Some of the prizes are less than mint it has to be said. 

Out in the bini today and a trio of warning light popped up together. I had noticed the abs kicking in earlier when pulling up. Is this a common issue with them? Any pointers?
bdb2b787835834407545f672af9e8c13.jpg148525e1b4162aa191f29b5824feeb4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It's fixed itself overnight. I'm suspecting battery. No idwa why it would cause the abs to kick in though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk