The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, paulplom said:

I gave it to[mention=17519]NorthernMonkey[/mention] when he bought the meriva.

I have a dongle and the torque app.

I thought all 3 coming on together might signify something easy.

It did take a lot of cranking to start. I wonder if it's battery related.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ooooh.

Low battery voltage causing various modules to throw a fit? It seems a common thing on moderns.

I've been served three different adverts from three different "Classic Dealers" on Facebook.  All with cars being raffled. 

• £23 a ticket for a Peugeot 205 GTi (Maximum 700 tickets)
  • £9 a ticket for a 1966 Mustang (Maximum 4000 tickets)
  • £9  a ticket for a made over Morris Mini 1000

I've dealt with premium rate competitions and lotteries pretty much all my working life.  I don't like them, but it's an accepted (not neccessary) evil.  

But it also feels like a strong signal that the 'classic market' isn't what it was. 

35 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

.... cars being raffled. 

.....I've dealt with premium rate competitions and lotteries pretty much all my working life.  I don't like them, but it's an accepted (not neccessary) evil.  

But it also feels like a strong signal that the 'classic market' isn't what it was. 

Unlike AS roffles, you hardly ever hear who is the "winner" of the car....

So I posted this in the lazy spotters a few months ago when it was parked in the garage behind it in this photo. It's on my delivery and that was the first time I'd seen the garage open. Today is the first time I've ever seen it out. 

IMG_20200522_110819.thumb.jpg.6a9c03200024a1cecfaee8241841287a.jpg

It confused me the first time. DVLA says its an Opel Ranger but it's only badged as a Ranger, there's not an Opel badge to be seen.

IMG_20200522_110829.thumb.jpg.984c89bb69a631fb15245c93eb28cc21.jpg

It seems to be a sort of Rekord coupe and does have a sort of 70's Vauxhall look about the front end. The badges do tell us it's a 2500 but I've no idea what sort of engine it is. 

IMG_20200522_110854.thumb.jpg.ad5362150b765d2037e78ba729d8ba10.jpg

IMG_20200522_110904.thumb.jpg.1a7c4cc44298d3144bd265ab91060701.jpg

It is right hand drive but I'm not sure it was for the British Market as I'm completely unaware of it. 

IMG_20200522_110941.thumb.jpg.9d1e7df6d0b7c25e5e87629f03f56a6e.jpg

Course they won't like a CX, too fuel effecient! Unless you can find a v8 one they'll not let you do it. How are you supposed to save the planet with a piffling small 2.whatever petrol? 
The GGG has changed its agenda of late, it's mainly Renault bashing at the moment. Conelrad is knocking about in a 2.0 Clio III for one.

Shame the Jag went, you seemed to really like it. What about a X300? Similar type of thing but more affordable. Still around that budget.

I paid £1500 for my 1100 and BeEP + RobT paid similar for theirs. Admittedly a bit of luck on all our parts. 

However there are good bargains to be had out there. Just got to take a bit of a chance while having an element of caution - especially if you're buying remotely and blind. 

I don't like modern Jags, the guy I sold it to shared the sentiment (he was replacing an X350 on LPG). I want something a bit smaller and more usable. The market is swamped with cheap E39 5 Series at the moment, which I like, but they're cars I'd daily drive, not have as a fun second car. Before my C30 came along one of the things I was looking for was a 530d.

Caution is definitely on the menu after the Concerto disaster.

6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Conelrad is knocking about in a 2.0 Clio III for one.

The fast 197bhp one? Or the 140bhp one? 

If 140 one, make sure you get the odd jib that it's a Nissan [engine]. Isn't that the second of the Clio III he's had?

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

Out in the bini today and a trio of warning light popped up together. I had noticed the abs kicking in earlier when pulling up. Is this a common issue with them? Any pointers?
bdb2b787835834407545f672af9e8c13.jpg148525e1b4162aa191f29b5824feeb4c.jpg

The Bini next door bought against my advice did this shortly after they acquired it and I was summoned to see if I could fix* it. My £20 generic OBD2 code reader declared there to be nothing wrong with it, and the manual suggested if it happened then to take it to BMW/Bini directly for 'work' and not to drive it as the ABS and ESP deffo wouldn't work.

I suggested that while its not ideal, life without ABS and ESP were fine provided you didn't drive in snow or like a dinlo.

All I know it that it then languished on their drive for several months going nowhere while the front tyres slowly went flat and then got carted away one day and replaced with a ford ecoboost on finance. I never asked what happened to the Bini.

long story short, I think its an ABS issue, check in the manual, there is a section about it specifically. You can also toggle some switches (from my very hazy memory) which sometimes clears the issue but didn't work in my case. assume it will drive fine but that the ABS is likely MIA.

EDIT https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/why-my-abs-flat-tire-sensors-all-same-time-4450/

Might be just low pressure in one tyre, check the pressures and even them up if needed. Cheapr place to start.

25 minutes ago, Stanky said:

The Bini next door bought against my advice did this shortly after they acquired it and I was summoned to see if I could fix* it. My £20 generic OBD2 code reader declared there to be nothing wrong with it, and the manual suggested if it happened then to take it to BMW/Bini directly for 'work' and not to drive it as the ABS and ESP deffo wouldn't work.

I suggested that while its not ideal, life without ABS and ESP were fine provided you didn't drive in snow or like a dinlo.

All I know it that it then languished on their drive for several months going nowhere while the front tyres slowly went flat and then got carted away one day and replaced with a ford ecoboost on finance. I never asked what happened to the Bini.

long story short, I think its an ABS issue, check in the manual, there is a section about it specifically. You can also toggle some switches (from my very hazy memory) which sometimes clears the issue but didn't work in my case. assume it will drive fine but that the ABS is likely MIA.

EDIT https://minicooperforums.com/forum/2002-2006-mini-cooper-r50-11/why-my-abs-flat-tire-sensors-all-same-time-4450/

Might be just low pressure in one tyre, check the pressures and even them up if needed. Cheapr place to start.

To be fair you could probably just reset the pressure sensor but IIRC the ABS light doesn't come on when the pressures are wrong. 

The tyre pressure warning uses the 4 speed sensors to check that all four wheels are turning at the same rpm, and apparently comes on with about 5 psi difference.  I'm not sure what fitting none run flats to it will do with a more compliant sidewall, but i guess might be more sensitive. 

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

Out in the bini today and a trio of warning light popped up together. I had noticed the abs kicking in earlier when pulling up. Is this a common issue with them? Any pointers?
bdb2b787835834407545f672af9e8c13.jpg148525e1b4162aa191f29b5824feeb4c.jpg

I don't know about Binis but the description of it kicking in when braking not that heavy sounds like the ABS Reluctor rings have split and are slipping. 

The fast 197bhp one? Or the 140bhp one? 
If 140 one, make sure you get the odd jib that it's a Nissan [engine]. Isn't that the second of the Clio III he's had?
It's a 140 not an RS. I don't know if he's had another. He had some issues with the cat when he got it, they're a strange design.

The pedal was definately abs'ing when I was low speed manouvering earlier but didn't do it for the last mile of my trip. Turning the car off, then restarting it makes them all go out but they come back on after 100yds or so. I'll investigate over the weekend. Thanks for the replies peeps.

8 hours ago, Yoss said:

So I posted this in the lazy spotters a few months ago when it was parked in the garage behind it in this photo. It's on my delivery and that was the first time I'd seen the garage open. Today is the first time I've ever seen it out. 

IMG_20200522_110819.thumb.jpg.6a9c03200024a1cecfaee8241841287a.jpg

It confused me the first time. DVLA says its an Opel Ranger but it's only badged as a Ranger, there's not an Opel badge to be seen.

IMG_20200522_110829.thumb.jpg.984c89bb69a631fb15245c93eb28cc21.jpg

It seems to be a sort of Rekord coupe and does have a sort of 70's Vauxhall look about the front end. The badges do tell us it's a 2500 but I've no idea what sort of engine it is. 

IMG_20200522_110854.thumb.jpg.ad5362150b765d2037e78ba729d8ba10.jpg

IMG_20200522_110904.thumb.jpg.1a7c4cc44298d3144bd265ab91060701.jpg

It is right hand drive but I'm not sure it was for the British Market as I'm completely unaware of it. 

IMG_20200522_110941.thumb.jpg.9d1e7df6d0b7c25e5e87629f03f56a6e.jpg

That's a Ranger 2500. A car made by GM for the South African market from 1968 - 1973, hence the Vauxhall Victor FD/Opel Rekord looks. They sold them in Belgium from 1970 - 1978 as well. It was just badged as a Ranger, in the same way the US market Rover 800 was known only as the Sterling. 

Engines were 2.1 or 2.5 four cylinder jobs with about 80-100bhp. You've probably found the only one in the UK. 

Tree surgeon mates VW caddy van has snapped a rod after 35,000 miles and 4.5 years. VW’s response was that he should pay £6.5k for a new engine to be fitted and they would then decide if they would put anything towards it as a ‘gesture’. Oddly enough he told them to FRO. It’s gone this afternoon for £3.5k to a place in Leamington Spa. Picked up with two hours of him calling them.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Tree surgeon mates VW caddy van has snapped a rod after 35,000 miles and 4.5 years. VW’s response was that he should pay £6.5k for a new engine to be fitted and they would then decide if they would put anything towards it as a ‘gesture’. Oddly enough he told them to FRO. It’s gone this afternoon for £3.5k to a place in Leamington Spa. Picked up with two hours of him calling them.

Goodness me. I just don’t think that sort of thing is good enough in the year 2020. That’s stinks of not “Fit for Purpose”. A huge failure like that on a 4 year old/35K failure? I can’t see how that can really be operator error. 

Perhaps I’m naive! 

10 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Goodness me. I just don’t think that sort of thing is good enough in the year 2020. That’s stinks of not “Fit for Purpose”. A huge failure like that on a 4 year old/35K failure? I can’t see how that can really be operator error. 

Perhaps I’m naive! 

Same here, having looked there are a few stories of rods making a break for freedom. He is going to take it up with trading standards but as the van has gone I can’t see him getting anywhere. But he needs a vehicle for work so can’t afford it to sit there for 6 months while someone makes their mind up and I think VW know this and play on it. Surely an engine has to be good for at least 100k unless abused these days? FFS an A series would do 60k if abused in the 70s! And my poor 2 litre pinto in my first Capri was thrashed senseless for two years and was still running when the tree jumped out in front of it.

Shamazon is just after delivering a massive 20w solar panel battery charger thing with regulator box and some cables / cable extension leads.

What's the betting that the cables are not long enough to stretch from the intended site of the solar panel all the way to the CX?

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Same here, having looked there are a few stories of rods making a break for freedom. He is going to take it up with trading standards but as the van has gone I can’t see him getting anywhere. But he needs a vehicle for work so can’t afford it to sit there for 6 months while someone makes their mind up and I think VW know this and play on it. Surely an engine has to be good for at least 100k unless abused these days? FFS an A series would do 60k if abused in the 70s! And my poor 2 litre pinto in my first Capri was thrashed senseless for two years and was still running when the tree jumped out in front of it.

When I worked for Garrett making Turbos, there was an expectation of 100K in normal use.  And that was a worst case scenario of short journeys and long oil change intervals. 

7 minutes ago, New POD said:

When I worked for Garrett making Turbos, there was an expectation of 100K in normal use.  And that was a worst case scenario of short journeys and long oil change intervals. 

I wonder if there were test beds where eg very short trip, full power from cold and for good measure rev it up as it’s switched off, plus ancient cheap oil.