The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

41 minutes ago, xtriple said:

The lights only got changed simply because legislation changed. Sizes and visibility from the side and all sorts of shit. You could rely on Tony Crook to change NOTHING without being made to do so!

Yeah, that figures. I'm sure they could've sourced some nicer ones though. I mean, I love Senator lights, on a Senator.

I do wonder how Bristol managed to stay in business from the 80s onwards. Surely all of their sales from that point must have been to existing customers with a bizarrely strong sense of brand loyalty? I appreciate it's in the eye of the beholder etc, but they could have bought something far lovelier for the same price, or less.

Dunno. He bought it off a Bulgarian who was going back and didn't want to take it for some reason.

I think Alan paid 4 large  for it. He's also got a RHD Chevy pick up. I asked him a while ago how many

motors he'd got and he wasn't sure but reckoned 40 to 50. I know the earliest are a couple of Rubies

and a 36 Chevy pick up. I've never seen him in anything later than the 1970's.

The T5 returned from the very talented Hungarian who sorted the injector and  it came home to a proper scrub inside and out. Hopefully nights away with the sighthounds will be in the near future. 
The bug is progressing but still awaiting the lows and whitewalls, at least it’s clean! 
so the driveway is displaying two clean and polar opposite VWs. 

79EA8A33-51D9-4373-A512-9E751CCBC999.jpeg

CFD

Trying to find oil leak on kangoo was taking a look at the drive shaft theres a telltale clicking of cv joint from nearside when turning i believe these can be a problem that can result in a leak when the go bad 

It looks a little wet but not a whole lot

20200520_203811.jpg

17 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

I'm off to Formby this afternoon to look at a honda Civic type R which hasnt been MOT'ed for 6 months, with 2 bald tyres and knackered front shocks for more money than the mint MOT'ed one i sold on here in January.

cest la vie!

Sounds unwise. 

9 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Trying to find oil leak on kangoo was taking a look at the drive shaft theres a telltale clicking of cv joint from nearside when turning i believe these can be a problem that can result in a leak when the go bad 

It looks a little wet but not a whole lot

20200520_203811.jpg

Look at that lovely rust free subframe though! My old 172 one was super crusty and I loved admiring the new one when it was fitted.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Look at that lovely rust free subframe though! My old 172 one was super crusty and I loved admiring the new one when it was fitted.

yes its the mild weather and very light winter road treatment here - rusty cars not such a big issue at all.

I think i did find why the stop and brake lights came on for me recently. seems this cable was not seated and was rubbing on the tyre. its not rubbed through but it has done a nice bit of wearing. I'm guessing its abs sensor cable.

needs replacing or would a bit of shrink wrap sort it out?

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 10.26.20.png

Dull fleet news. My son had my 2007 E320 cdi  Merc when the world stopped turning and as he lives 60 miles away I didn't see it again until Friday last week. I haven't been working but he has which I don't mind but the car had the pad sensors disconnected and I knew they must be getting close. As I had some snow tyres they were put on in October and they were still on of course. Rear discs are looking a little tired but can stay as pads half worn, fronts had the discs on the 26 mm limit and the pads were....1559999032_Brakes100.thumb.jpg.85ddd18d73c6f1b537b3753d1559c49b.jpg

At 1.5mm I feel we've had the best of them. Genuine MB pads, discs, sensors etc with 48h delivery are slightly cheaper than mid range ECP parts, as it's a keeper that gets a fair bit of use it's a no brainer for me. 

The Z3 finally got the hard top off on Sunday as it's not a 1 man job and immediately rewarded me with drivers window mech jamming yet again . It has a history of it, in use it twists the rear glass guide and the glass carrier starts hitting a plate attached to the guide on the way up but it;s very difficult to see much inside the door.  Door card off 4 times since Sun......

Red SEC behaving itsel at the moment, I'll be using it for work tomorrow. I'm back this week to work on phased  return from sick leave, Mon, Wed and Fri , the only good side is I can exercise the fleet legitimately!

Waiting for a scrapper to e-mail a list of prices for a CX S2 2.5 that he's started dismantling. Hopefully will result in:

- a spare camshaft and bearing (101,000 miles)

- as many of the cylinder head bolts as can be salvaged

- heater blower motor

- twin radiator fans and mounting spacers

- triple LCD display unit.

I'd have the auto gearbox as a spare as well, but no proper place to store it......

Heh, it's probably decent enough, given that I don't think I'd ever seen a real one... must have been inspired by Graham Robson's 'A-Z of Cars of the 1970s' , which my pre-teen self couldn't put down...

But that's reminded me that the only high-spec FE I ever spotted was this VX490, unexpectedly encountered down an alleyway in a swanky part of town some 13 years back.

1660281890_P3120087VauxhallVX490.thumb.JPG.e9991a34d9032fa386843f6002ac7fbe.JPG

1702900936_P3120089VXSide.thumb.JPG.7f0e632b07746e8aed268a09c3da8a9f.JPG

661264311_P3120090VXFront.thumb.JPG.69145c4cd746841acaeeaf5eb10467e7.JPG

Oh, I absolutely would.

And the really good news?

Someone must still love the big ol' barge.

DVLA_tax_status_BAH425T_May_2020.thumb.png.031c4458176b1b7be7dfe23b3db35d4a.png

6 hours ago, spike60 said:

What is it going there for? As an ex owner I still have slight interest in them.....

944 dripping/pissing petrol from where the fuel pipes dip down & bob under the rear torsion tube - apparently TADTS

The bloody exhaust on the van is blowing from the joint between the downpipe and front section. Again.

IMG_20200521_163440.thumb.jpg.498e2494df04faf895cb83d5696ec005.jpg

The exhaust on this thing is already comedically loud as it is without adding leaks to the equation.

We've dismantled it, packed it generously with firegum and tightened the bolt up to "if I go any further it will probably snap" levels of torque.

Sure it's not seeping through the flexi? 

I had similar problem with one before, just turned the radio up until the mot was nearly due, replaced flexi, then had to check the rev counter at every junction to check the engine was still running coz it was so quiet ???

Nah, very definitely puffing out of the slip joint.  Flexi better not be stuffed at a year old!  I've had issues with this joint working itself loose before anyway so was already looking at it suspiciously.  It usually starts buzzing before obviously blowing though.

The very obvious ticking I'd noticed when out earlier seems to have been silenced again so hopefully it will stay that way now.

If the flexi joint is a loose fit I have had to use one of those exhaust expander tools on the pipes either side.

It's also become a lot more difficult to get hold of M10 threaded clamps with 17mm nuts that can take more torque.

I'm getting cabin fever and what with all the glorious purchases on here trying to limit my time on Ebay, in case I do something stupid. Fortunately lockdown in Wales is stopping me at the moment. Currently wanting another Morgan, there's a nice one in the west country, I keep reminding myself that I niw find it difficult to get in and out of them with the hood up and that I have no garage, then I i remind myself that I hardly ever drove with the hood up and that most of mine lived outside.

17 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I'm getting cabin fever and what with all the glorious purchases on here trying to limit my time on Ebay, in case I do something stupid. Fortunately lockdown in Wales is stopping me at the moment. Currently wanting another Morgan, there's a nice one in the west country, I keep reminding myself that I niw find it difficult to get in and out of them with the hood up and that I have no garage, then I i remind myself that I hardly ever drove with the hood up and that most of mine lived outside.

Get a 3-wheeler, then the roof portion becomes irrelevant as it doesn't have one!