The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

40 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Jag is for sale on C&C, and booky facey. Had one enquiry so far, from some dolt who was interested until he asked me how many previous owners it had had. 

Eight is apparently 'too many' on a 35 year old car. 

If I don't get any bites I'll stick it on eBay in a couple of weeks.

Hard to say on that one. Previously I'd agree but after having some low owner cars, I have found them to be a bit more "special" and loved differently than ones who have had many owners. 

Different people are looking for different things in cars, especially classics. Just happened to be that buyer who contacted you is after a car with very low owner count, with each owning it for a decade or more. 

I mean I personally wouldn't turn my nose away at a 35 year old car with 8 owners if looked after and the paperwork is there. I'd also not turn away cars that need welding, but there are many others who would. 

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Hard to say on that one. Previously I'd agree but after having some low owner cars, I have found them to be a bit more "special" and loved differently than ones who have had many owners. 

Different people are looking for different things in cars, especially classics. Just happened to be that buyer who contacted you is after a car with very low owner count, with each owning it for a decade or more. 

I mean I personally wouldn't turn my nose away at a 35 year old car with 8 owners if looked after and the paperwork is there. I'd also not turn away cars that need welding, but there are many others who would. 

I’m afraid I’m one such buyer. Especially when there’s been 3 owners in quick succession and it’s a proper amount of money. 

To some - it can indicate there’s an issue with the car, that the owner can’t afford it (and therefore maintenance and investment has been postponed) and/or it’s not a great example. Mostly though - a low owner car is easier to sell to enthusiasts for a good price, so the escape plan is secured.

This looks like a really nice car, and Ghosty is a top chap. As long as it’s priced well it will sell. 

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Jag is for sale on C&C, and booky facey. Had one enquiry so far, from some dolt who was interested until he asked me how many previous owners it had had. 

Eight is apparently 'too many' on a 35 year old car. 

If I don't get any bites I'll stick it on eBay in a couple of weeks.

8 owners on a 35 year old car isn't excessive IMO, on average each has owned it just over 4 years. 

Edited to add I can see @BorniteIdentitys point though, if 3 were in quick succession I would be wary too

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Well to nobody's great surprise, the inner CV joint on the V70 didn't just push back together again.  So on the basis that it's already fucked and I therefore can't do any more damage, I've taken it completely to bits and I'm going to try to reassemble it properly. 

_20200517_125638.thumb.JPG.b63201dcfc373e1875cf1d28e63dbc8f.JPG

Wish me luck... 

?

Proper job you’ve got on there Wuv. Give it hell.

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Well to nobody's great surprise, the inner CV joint on the V70 didn't just push back together again.  So on the basis that it's already fucked and I therefore can't do any more damage, I've taken it completely to bits and I'm going to try to reassemble it properly. 

_20200517_125638.thumb.JPG.b63201dcfc373e1875cf1d28e63dbc8f.JPG

Wish me luck... 

I was looking at doing CV on the Passat   however  at 28 quid for a complete brand new driveshaft assy off autodoc, i went downt that route,  

My mum was whinging that the car hasn't been driven in months, and won't be driven in many more months. But fine I'll take it out.

Her version is to Tesco and back, my idea is a 30 odd mile B-road blast, I've never seen so many bastard horses, walkers, bicyclists etc.

On the plus side I returned the car with the fuel light on.

Started to weld up my Daihatsu Fourtrak. It’s had a hard life with 81k on the clocks.

Rear crossmemember chopped out, and lots of loose sealer etc scraped off.

Looks much better under there with the crossmember out. Should get the new one in next time, then it’s just spring hangers, wheelarches, boot floor, suspension rebuild ....

20659779-495B-4CBF-9BD3-98E44115DC27.jpeg

134CF0D5-0F2C-40DB-8F4F-3B81E4ECDC3D.jpeg