The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Double shite collection today, Tigra for the daughter and Beetle collected for @bangernomics

Had a good hoon over the moors on the way back, made myself seasick driving the beetle

Thanks to @Robson3022 for the cars, I've just waved @bangernomics off in the beetle, it's was very good VFM at 500 squids and drove really well on the way back apart from being like a mk4 golf. 

AS bought Insignia in the background too, I must stay away from this site...

20200516_155453.jpg

And a roof race....

Yes I knew the tigra had it. I thought about finding Jimbells roof race thread and putting it on but couldn’t be bothered to find it! 

Pleased your happy with them!! 

2 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

I'd have that CX in a heart beat. I do miss the ones I had.

In other news, this : https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1781938935.htm/  

popped up on Leboncoin. Shit colour and it looks like the CX style DIRAVI is fucked.

6/10 tempted...

How to make owning an xm in the uk more difficult? Buy one that wasn’t sold here needing parts that no one has ever heard of!

28 minutes ago, hairnet said:

becuase french course it was gonna lose :D

It was struggling to maintain idle when I got back. 

Booked in next month for lengthy repair and diagnosis:

- coolant flush again plus leakdown test to confirm OMGHGF - if so, they can do the replacement as I have all the parts for it;

- new set of NGK plugs;

- brake pads and discs need checking and the handbrake needs resetting. 

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

Did the pipe stretch round to the other side?

All pump hoses on the left can reach the filler. Don't see any point sitting in a queue like all the other lazy shites in SUVs.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

How to make owning an xm in the uk more difficult? Buy one that wasn’t sold here needing parts that no one has ever heard of!

I'm not in the UK, I'm in Normandie.

Not that it makes a difference. XM V6s  in my price range are rocking horse poo here.  I suspect good spare  DIRAVI units are even more rare.

Sadly only the V6 got DIRAVI here , hence I have to put up with normal steering in my 2.5TD...  wrong fucking gearbox too...

4 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

Not that it makes a difference. XM V6s  in my price range are rocking horse poo here.  I suspect good spare  DIRAVI units are even more rare.

Sadly only the V6 got DIRAVI here , hence I have to put up with normal steering in my 2.5TD...  wrong fucking gearbox too...

There was one for sale here a quite a few years ago at the ccc meeting in Kettering, Patrick rugg was selling for a not unreasonable amount. Series one with lovely wood, black leather and metallic green paint. 

23 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It was struggling to maintain idle when I got back. 

Booked in next month for lengthy repair and diagnosis:

- coolant flush again plus leakdown test to confirm OMGHGF - if so, they can do the replacement as I have all the parts for it;

- new set of NGK plugs;

- brake pads and discs need checking and the handbrake needs resetting. 

All pump hoses on the left can reach the filler. Don't see any point sitting in a queue like all the other lazy shites in SUVs.

Have you thought of keeping a mistress? I think it could be cheaper, and less troublesome. I do miss my CXs but not the monthly visits to the garage.

18 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Have you thought of keeping a mistress? I think it could be cheaper, and less troublesome. I do miss my CXs but not the monthly visits to the garage.

I had no problems with shitbox 100 quid CXs until I splurged 1000 quid on a four year old CX 2500 Pallas. That thing kept th AA busy. All AA  trips were due to Shite electrics.

Never had a serious problem with the green stuff which frightens most folks off.

32 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

I should make clear that no XMs had diravi over here. Not even the v6. I do remember old top gear saying that the best estate car at any price  on the market in the uk was the xm v6. And Citroen sold 6.

Today I have mostly been breaking cars.

Jump started the Tempra and left it idling for half an hour or so in an attempt to get some charge into the battery (spoiler alert: it didn't work).  Checked on it after about 20 minutes and all was well, left it for another ten minutes, came back and there was a rapidly growing puddle of coolant under the engine, and the radiator fan was whirring away.  I switched off and the rad fan cut out within a few seconds so I don't think it'd got too stupidly hot, but it has a fairly serious water leak.

The source of said leak is this cable.

147028963_DSC_1028-Copy.thumb.JPG.c2749b6698e6f23703f54d7cc0a08fbd.JPG

The cable runs from the thermostat housing down to the injector pump, and the coolant was running down inside the cable sheath and pissing out of the end.

3 questions:  What does this cable do, why is it leaking water and how do I fix it?

Then I thought I'd make a start on doing the CV joint on the V70.  Got off to a cracking start, everything came undone - the only awkward bit was the lower ball joint nut, but even that eventually came undone without having to resort to fire or nut splitters.  The hub bolt came undone with just a ratchet, and the driveshaft pushed out of the hub with one finger.

Unfortunately said looseness went a bit too far, and despite the fact that I was being careful (or thought I was) due to the dire warnings in the HBOL, the outer driveshaft came apart from the inner driveshaft as soon as I pulled it out of the hub.  Ironically this is going to make it easier to fit the new outer CV joint, but I'm hoping I can somehow get the inner joint back together (HBOL says it's a twat of a job), otherwise I'm going to have to fork out for a new driveshaft, which will really piss me off - I've already spent enough on this car that I could have gone out and bought a good one with a long test for the same money, I'm loath to fork out even more, and T5 driveshafts are not cheap.

On the plus side, I did manage to get the brake pad warning light to go out on the 75, although there is still a brief warning that flashes up when I first start the car saying "anomalie frein" (yes, the display is in French.  No, I have no idea why).

Regarding the coolant leak @wuvvum, if it’s the cable I’m thinking of it goes to a waxstat bulb that brings the idle speed up for cold running. Not really needed in UK, you should be able to unscrew the end off the housing and fit a blanking plug (assuming you can find one the correct size). Effectively delete the cold idle device. 

5 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Double shite collection today, Tigra for the daughter and Beetle collected for @bangernomics

Had a good hoon over the moors on the way back, made myself seasick driving the beetle

Thanks to @Robson3022 for the cars, I've just waved @bangernomics off in the beetle, it's was very good VFM at 500 squids and drove really well on the way back apart from being like a mk4 golf. 

AS bought Insignia in the background too, I must stay away from this site...

20200516_155453.jpg

And a roof race....

I can do the mx5 in 4 seconds. Put it up in 6. 

3 hours ago, Frogchod said:

I had no problems with shitbox 100 quid CXs until I splurged 1000 quid on a four year old CX 2500 Pallas. That thing kept th AA busy. All AA  trips were due to Shite electrics.

Never had a serious problem with the green stuff which frightens most folks off.

On the 2 hydro cheap citroen I owned the green stuff gave the least problems! Infact it was lovely fixing the ride with an lhm change, ignoring the knocking balljoint as you went... 

Jag is for sale on C&C, and booky facey. Had one enquiry so far, from some dolt who was interested until he asked me how many previous owners it had had. 

Eight is apparently 'too many' on a 35 year old car. 

If I don't get any bites I'll stick it on eBay in a couple of weeks.

40 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Jag is for sale on C&C, and booky facey. Had one enquiry so far, from some dolt who was interested until he asked me how many previous owners it had had. 

Hard to say on that one. Previously I'd agree but after having some low owner cars, I have found them to be a bit more "special" and loved differently than ones who have had many owners. 

Different people are looking for different things in cars, especially classics. Just happened to be that buyer who contacted you is after a car with very low owner count, with each owning it for a decade or more. 

I mean I personally wouldn't turn my nose away at a 35 year old car with 8 owners if looked after and the paperwork is there. I'd also not turn away cars that need welding, but there are many others who would. 

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Hard to say on that one. Previously I'd agree but after having some low owner cars, I have found them to be a bit more "special" and loved differently than ones who have had many owners. 

Different people are looking for different things in cars, especially classics. Just happened to be that buyer who contacted you is after a car with very low owner count, with each owning it for a decade or more. 

I mean I personally wouldn't turn my nose away at a 35 year old car with 8 owners if looked after and the paperwork is there. I'd also not turn away cars that need welding, but there are many others who would. 

I’m afraid I’m one such buyer. Especially when there’s been 3 owners in quick succession and it’s a proper amount of money. 

To some - it can indicate there’s an issue with the car, that the owner can’t afford it (and therefore maintenance and investment has been postponed) and/or it’s not a great example. Mostly though - a low owner car is easier to sell to enthusiasts for a good price, so the escape plan is secured.

This looks like a really nice car, and Ghosty is a top chap. As long as it’s priced well it will sell. 

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

8 owners on a 35 year old car isn't excessive IMO, on average each has owned it just over 4 years. 

Edited to add I can see @BorniteIdentitys point though, if 3 were in quick succession I would be wary too