The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

It may not adsorb water, but it does get absolutely filthy.  I thought 3 years was the recommended interval.  Granted, you might push that out to 5 or a few more, but 20?

I’ve never had any filthy lhm in 2cvs or cxs- no leaks either which could be a source of contamination I suppose.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

I wonder if the would cover a pre-97 car licence holder who was under instruction by a Category D licence holder?

Not in the cases we looked into.  The pre-97 thing doesn't really make any odds in this case as it's something completely separate to the grandfather rights for the D1 and 7,5t (C1?) categories. 

The MD of one of our local bus operators back in about 2010 really wanted to give me a shot of one of his personally preserved coaches (a lovely B10M Plaxton Supreme IV with the super-high, no-expense spared spec body for continental tours), and his insurers wouldn't have any of it.  Either me driving freely, or with L plates in the window and him instructing (I do have a provisional cat D licence).  It wouldn't be an issue if the bus was owned by the company as their policy obviously has cover for drivers for training purposes!

My sample size in that situation is only one.  Though I did a bit of ringing around myself a bit more recently (must have been early 2014 before my life got turned upside down by my mother passing away suddenly) as the opportunity had come up to potentially pick up a vintage coach which was exactly what I wanted, in a known condition, for a really good price - and I'd even got provisional agreement for somewhere to store it.  However I couldn't for the life of me find an insurer who would cover me for a sane cost.  I did find one company but they wanted something daft like £3500 a year and would only offer me third party cover, with something like a £2000 excess.  As the vehicle (unsurprisingly) sold quickly I never dug any further.

Edit: I may have once driven this before the owner had a good "Oh ****!" Moment when he realised that I of course had passed my test after 1997 and of course wasn't allowed to! 

DSCI0015e_edit.thumb.JPG.5289e81a6938ea1368da10cfd0afd97c.JPG

(Registration plate removed to protect the innocent).

This was waaaaaaay back in my driving career before I'd any concept of licence entitlement categories...I was young and stupid.  Apparently had an aptitude for such things though and thoroughly enjoyed it...even though this really could have done with the six pot engine, the four is a bit weedy.  Didn't have a limiter though!

38 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I changed the address on my license a while back and it came back like this.
Does it mean I can ride large motorbikes? I've never passed the test. I think they've made a mistake.8ddb4328725220ff16461a9be5602e96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have been told  that "79" refers to some kind of tricycle.  Its not exactly clear is it?  Would be useful to know.

Was just checking online that all my vehicles were correctly taxed or SORN & spotted that the '79 bay had become tax exempt and that it's MOT status was 'nothing recorded'. Looks like it's become a historic MOT free vehicle. Although I'll be getting it tested again when the garage re-opens, I think I might tax it now, just because I can!

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

I changed the address on my license a while back and it came back like this.
Does it mean I can ride large motorbikes? I've never passed the test. I think they've made a mistake.8ddb4328725220ff16461a9be5602e96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I got it too when I had to change my lovely ROI license for a UK one.  It's only trikes sadly

7 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I have been told  that "79" refers to some kind of tricycle.  Its not exactly clear is it?  Would be useful to know.

79 - Restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets
  (02) Restricted to category AM vehicles of the three-weel or light quadricycle type
  (03) Restricted to tricycles

All the codes for that column are here - some real oddments in there!

Daft question, what licence would you need for a quad bike and are you supposed to wear a crash helmet?

I just wondered, around here you see a lot of them about, some look road legal, some don't. Usually young lads often without crash helmets. Today I saw the most incongruous in front of me at temporary traffic lights. The quad looked road legal, it was cleanish with lights, the rider was an older lady, no crash helmet but wearing a flowery dress and white cardigan, she turned off up a track, I think there are stables up there.

Wanted to service Suzuki today. Found some garage tools and various car parts and fluids in the shed and took them to garage. Couldn’t find jack handle or the oil filter; got car out of garage, hunted everywhere for said things. So I tidied up and sorted through all the tools, bagged up a load of shite that should be in the shed or house, a binbag of rubbish, moved shelf unit and still couldn’t find jack handle.

Laid fresh cardboard on garage floor, took shed stuff back to shed, found jack handle in shed. By this time it was time for dinner and I couldn’t be bothered to go back to the garage having eaten; not sure where the oil filter is either. The one on there doesn’t look old, I could be mingey and just drop the oil, but unsure of its age and indeed if @Cavcraft serviced it before I won it in his roffle

Even one of these type set ups? 

4e2c45fd1653ddb162be8712edc8c4c7.thumb.jpg.9fd64531d0e8ef10bdf2472d6b67e20a.jpg
Or one of these 
d251e699bb118ddd746f0f68d0736652.thumb.jpg.e26e7ae487fd88d52f5ab68cb214a109.jpg
In Texas you see this type of semi-trailer used for everything, caravans, car transport, plant moving, horseboxes. I like the concept for it's versatility but think you'd need a C+E to drive one here, shame really.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk