The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I know I'll change the centre centre.. oh nuts rounded off.. new toy chop of the nuts and remove bolts , nope there studs, tried to blow torch them... nothing, then oh screw it I'll drop the from the flange and take indoors... so far so good but I'm drained, agony, #fybromyalgia #osteoarthritis  sucks balls... 

20200509_122931.jpg

20200509_124950.jpg

20200509_141931.jpg

20200509_143701.jpg

20200509_145540.jpg

20200509_145551.jpg

Nothing better than reading a good book on a nice evening. 100% pleased that we moved out of the city - even if the pandemic may leave my recent purchase significantly devalued.
b0a06d7ea6d4c7eb767f2ff61fba3562.jpg

May have to build some sort of raised decking area so I get a better view than just a mound in the back field.
4ab725c3e808b993f6f5db2669f82e80.jpg

Decided that the MGB needs to come back out tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Nothing better than reading a good book on a nice evening. 100% pleased that we moved out of the city - even if the pandemic may leave my recent purchase significantly devalued.
b0a06d7ea6d4c7eb767f2ff61fba3562.jpg

May have to build some sort of raised decking area so I get a better view than just a mound in the back field.
4ab725c3e808b993f6f5db2669f82e80.jpg

Decided that the MGB needs to come back out tomorrow. 

You could get a lot of rusty old cars in that garden 

You could get a lot of rusty old cars in that garden 
Funnily enough someone said the same thing on TDW. My reply...

Unfortunately there is no easy vehicle access to the back garden! I did say earlier to my long suffering wife that it was a shame there wasn't.

Why? Was her response.

Of course darling* when we have visitors it would be useful to have extra parking, I replied.

No it's because you want to park shit heaps in the garden, was her retort.

I couldn't argue with that.

Got the rear pads done on the 75 today - somewhat more successful than yesterday's brake fixing attempt, but then the 75 is only half German.

Wasn't too bad of a job, although the pads were definitely on their last legs, especially on the offside - on the outer pad the (remains of the) friction material came away from the backing when I knocked the pad out of the caliper.  Also the guide pins holding the caliper together are afflicted with the curse of the 7mm allen bolt - I have a 7mm allen key, but it's part of a cheap Rolson set, and with a socket and extension bar on the end to give extra leverage I wasn't quite sure whether the allen key was going to give up before the bolts, but they all came undone in the end.  Bleed nipples both cracked off OK as well.

Annoyingly the plug for the brake pad wear wiring disintegrated as I was trying to unplug it.  I shoved it back together as best I could, but the pad warning light is now on permanently - I might have to see if I can short it out somehow as that's going to get annoying.  Also when I first drove the car there was a weird pulsation through the brake pedal, but I think that was parts of the rear discs which hadn't seen a pad for some time suddenly being used for braking again, and it disappeared after a couple of miles.

Tomorrow if the weather isn't too thunderously shit I might even have a crack at the CV joint on the V70...

I made a start on tracing an oil leak on my CLK320 today... but gave up when I noticed quite a lot of the inner wing has evaporated.  

1790444289_2020-05-1014_54_54.thumb.jpg.b7f45965b5ade97aa8f1e7c94b864b74.jpg

No worries, I can run it until the MOT expires at the end of September, then use my roffle GTV as winter wheels.

1st October 2020:

future.jpg.fc90e1a92db4dd691ff24d6c7e7a8b7b.jpg

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Got the rear pads done on the 75 today - somewhat more successful than yesterday's brake fixing attempt, but then the 75 is only half German.

Wasn't too bad of a job, although the pads were definitely on their last legs, especially on the offside - on the outer pad the (remains of the) friction material came away from the backing when I knocked the pad out of the caliper.  Also the guide pins holding the caliper together are afflicted with the curse of the 7mm allen bolt - I have a 7mm allen key, but it's part of a cheap Rolson set, and with a socket and extension bar on the end to give extra leverage I wasn't quite sure whether the allen key was going to give up before the bolts, but they all came undone in the end.  Bleed nipples both cracked off OK as well.

Annoyingly the plug for the brake pad wear wiring disintegrated as I was trying to unplug it.  I shoved it back together as best I could, but the pad warning light is now on permanently - I might have to see if I can short it out somehow as that's going to get annoying.  Also when I first drove the car there was a weird pulsation through the brake pedal, but I think that was parts of the rear discs which hadn't seen a pad for some time suddenly being used for braking again, and it disappeared after a couple of miles.

Tomorrow if the weather isn't too thunderously shit I might even have a crack at the CV joint on the V70...

Ah the 7mm Allen bolt, glad I kept mine now! My first 75 had the pad sensor wires tied together somehow and there was no light on the dash. My second one did have the light on but I just ignored it.

Firstly, can I say many thanks to  @paulplom for his advice and help!

Today, I did a NEW THING:)

a battle of good over evil, Man Vs Water.

"What did you do?" I hear you cry...

Today, For the first time in my 39 years, I replaced a Fill/Float valve in a toilet Cistern.

Sounds simple enough?

Well, the previous owners of our house thought it was a good idea to hide the cistern between the bathroom wall (breeze block with tiles) and the pipes for the boiler.

IMG_20200509_102022.thumb.jpg.0f1bd4618be3ccea09c551ceab2dc7bf.jpg

This is somewhat suboptimal.

As you can see the fill valve is at the LHS and helpfully pressed up against a 2ft thick sandstone wall.

IMG_20200509_223217.thumb.jpg.522508a4125fe262753590f7b2be97b0.jpgIMG_20200509_223121.thumb.jpg.12b2cffc932df87b1f4d048ef329dfbc.jpg

fun times were ahead.

I managed to source new seals and a new  valve via Screwfix - ordered at 9am today, and available for collection by 9.42. social distanced collection, and top service.

Initially, i replaced the seal in the existing unit, but it still leaked. So much so, the water came out the handle.

I took some big boy pills and set about taking the whole unit out.

The Pela came in mighty handy!

IMG_20200510_140248.thumb.jpg.2ab2c7d90e53ef0459df22ae7d3ed2a6.jpg

Much fiddling and getting 1/32 of a turn on nuts later, the old unit was out. Splitting the float and valve section off made it easier to pull out.IMG_20200510_144317.thumb.jpg.3457e42a701473738b07de10d30aacdc.jpg

I put it all back together with the new valve, but the stopcock top joint was leaking.

One roll of PTFE tape borrowed from a neighbour saw it all back together, and for the first time since we moved in here 7.5years ago, you can't hear a drip whilst sitting on the cludge!

As an added bonus, the handle now returns properly.

The Panda now has a new MoT, didn't bother with the extra Boris time as fixing it in November might be a bit colder than it actually is today. Note to self though; don't get too clever when welding the sills and nicely fill them with a skim of wob so it all looks neat. The MoT man will make you remove it all so he can see it's been welded properly, then he'll say "nice welding", just to piss you off !!

3 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

The Panda now has a new MoT, didn't bother with the extra Boris time as fixing it in November might be a bit colder than it actually is today. Note to self though; don't get too clever when welding the sills and nicely fill them with a skim of wob so it all looks neat. The MoT man will make you remove it all so he can see it's been welded properly, then he'll say "nice welding", just to piss you off !!

Still confused about the ruling here. So if you MOT as normal will you get 12 months again or will it be 18 months MOT?

1 hour ago, Mrcento said:

As of yesterday, i now own a Vectra.

Mods- how long of a banning offence is this?

I’ll discuss with the others but at least a year... ?

Which generation of Vectra would that be? 

20 minutes ago, AndyIggs said:

Still confused about the ruling here. So if you MOT as normal will you get 12 months again or will it be 18 months MOT?

You get 12 months, but weirdly, given what's happened to me, it's just 12 months, no extra weeks. By that I mean the Panda MoT expired on the 17th of May, I had it tested on the 7th which it failed. On that day the DVLA still said it expired on the 17th. Between the 7th and today, the 11th, the DVLA extended the MoT until November 17th, despite it having failed last Thursday. Today when it passed they put the expiry date as 10th May next year, not the 17th.

Could I have driven it for another 6 months after I'd fixed it?. You tell me how it's working.

1 hour ago, Mrcento said:

As of yesterday, i now own a Vectra.

Mods- how long of a banning offence is this?

I hope the gear knob doesn't come off in your hand when selecting reverse, the little plastic clip you pull to get the cover off the spare wheel is still there and you don't need the paramedics to lift you out of it after a four hour drive back from Glasgow.

Other than that, WHY???

7 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

don't get too clever when welding the sills and nicely fill them with a skim of wob so it all looks neat. The MoT man will make you remove it all so he can see it's been welded properly, then he'll say "nice welding", just to piss you off !!

Utter bollocks.  Are you going to be expected to do that every year?

It's either solid or it's not.  A thin skim of wob on the sills isn't an MOT fail afaik.

The garage I use like to see the welded repair before it's skimmed in and painted to be certain it's a legitimate repair. Otherwise it could be a pop rivetted plate covered in filler as far as they know. I never had an issue with it, do repair, mot retest, then beautify under half a tin of bog.